How do I know if I need more fans in my case?

mkp123

Hello

Next week Im going to build my first computer. I building the Fractal Define Design R5, and that case can take a hell of a lot of fans, but only comes with 2 pre installed (1 front intake and 1 Back exhaust), so my question is, do I get any benefit from installing 1 or 2 more or will it just make more noise to my silent case?

I dont mind spending a little more for better airflow if it would help my PC in any way.

Im building:

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer

i5 4690k (maybe overclocking in the future)

Hyper 212 Evo cooler

GTX 970 Asus Strix OC

2x4 GB ram

1 SSD

1 HDD

650w XTX XTR PSU

can you add more fans? if yes, then you need more.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

You can tell if your PC gets set on fire or if you are running an AMD GPU you probably need more fans

On a more serious note, just monitor your PC temps and if they get too high then get more fans. It shouldnt be too much of a problem even running with very few fans

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Hello

Next week Im going to build my first computer. I building the Fractal Define Design R5, and that case can take a hell of a lot of fans, but only comes with 2 pre installed (1 front intake and 1 Back exhaust), so my question is, do I get any benefit from installing 1 or 2 more or will it just make more noise to my silent case?

I dont mind spending a little more for better airflow if it would help my PC in any way.

Im building:

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer

Hyper 212 Evo cooler

GTX 970 Asus Strix OC

2x4 GB ram

1 SSD

1 HDD

650w XTX XTR PSU

You would only need one more fan for intake at the front and you'll be golden

You can tell if your PC gets set on fire or if you are running an AMD GPU

sounds about right :P

Like @itsmyjobtoknow said, you really only would need one more fan just so you can have positive pressure in your case to help keep the dust out.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Hello

Im building:

Asus Z97 Pro Gamer

Hyper 212 Evo cooler

GTX 970 Asus Strix OC

2x4 GB ram

1 SSD

1 HDD

650w XTX XTR PSU

If you have a reasonably quiet fan for intake at around 1000RPM and you add another you will barely notice a difference in noise but the airflow will of course increase. If you had a 2000RPM sickleflow it will be loud and adding another one will only make it louder. I would recommend two intake fans and one exhaust for good airflow and positive pressure.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

colder = better

more fans = colder

more fans = better

shoutout to my boy @Socrates for that formula

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Ok then, 1 more fan in the front it is :)

Can u guys reccomend me 1 that is quiet but good and not to expensive  (lot of demands I know :P )

Ok then, 1 more fan in the front it is :)

Can u guys reccomend me 1 that is quiet but good and not to expensive  (lot of demands I know :P )

Bitfenix Spectre. And have it exhaust from back. Then you can move both stock fans in front.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Fans that come with the case are GP-14 but Silent series R3 should complement them well. I just ordered two for my Define R5.

You would know if you need more fans if you're temps are higher than safe.

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA