Receiver makes lights flicker

spwath

When i turn on my receiver, my lights in my room flicker.

Is this normal?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

um...how old is your home?

Does this happen when you turn other appliances on?

basically the receiver is drawing a large amount of current when starting up, more power than your house can deliver...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

When i turn on my receiver, my lights in my room flicker.

Is this normal?

It's normal for higher power draw equipment to dim lights slightly but if they are flickering on and off it may be an electrical issue in the home.

um...how old is your home?

Does this happen when you turn other appliances on?

basically the receiver is drawing a large amount of current when starting up, more power than your house can deliver...

Not that old, like from 1970's

same thning happens when we use power tools (drill, saw, ect)

If your wiring is old yeah...

When in my house the microwave or washing machine are plugged lights bright less for a moment and some monitors flicker for a sec

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

its just the power delivery in your home, then

but that still means your receiver is causing a power surge when it turns on which doesnt happen to me, and it doesnt make much sense why it would do that if its just a receiver...

but it should be safe

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Knob and Tube wiring was disused by the 1970 so it's most likely nothing too big to worry about with the wiring, for power tools it's pretty normal for lights to dim since they consume a lot of power, not too sure about a receiver though since it should be less than most power tools.

Knob and Tube wiring was disused by the 1970 so it's most likely nothing too big to worry about with the wiring, for power tools it's pretty normal for lights to dim since they consume a lot of power, not too sure about a receiver though since it should be less than most power tools.

Yeah, its weird.

My receiver also makes a loud click when turning on, is this normal?

the receiver:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=STRD965&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=howto#/howtoTab

Yeah, its weird.

My receiver also makes a loud click when turning on, is this normal?

the receiver:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=STRD965&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=howto#/howtoTab

Hmm Sony make pretty good electronics from what I've seen, but the clicking noise shouldn't be a problem it's most likely the relays inside the receiver once it powers on. 

Hmm Sony make pretty good electronics from what I've seen, but the clicking noise shouldn't be a problem it's most likely the relays inside the receiver once it powers on. 

OK.

One more thing, my remote doesnt seem to have an on button.

Only an off.

is this like normal, it seems really weird.

OK.

One more thing, my remote doesnt seem to have an on button.

Only an off.

is this like normal, it seems really weird.

That seems odd to me since you would need to get up to turn it on everytime, but I guess they might just want you to leave it on standby indefinitely until it needs to be used, not too sure about that. 

That seems odd to me since you would need to get up to turn it on everytime, but I guess they might just want you to leave it on standby indefinitely until it needs to be used, not too sure about that. 

Yeah, seems really weird, but all i can to is turn a TV on, turn the receiver off, or press sleep (whatever that does, it brings up some sort of time)

ok, figured it out.

No on button, but it turns on when you press one of the input buttons, like video 1, 2, tv, phono, ect.

Strange...

• 4 months later...

my new receiver (sony str-dh520) also clicks, and also makes the lights flicker.

Its odd.

my new receiver (sony str-dh520) also clicks, and also makes the lights flicker.

Its odd.

yay, to old electrical wiring?  <_<

yay, to old electrical wiring?  <_<

hope I don't overload it with receiver and PC and monitor and subwoofer in same outlet

hope I don't overload it with receiver and PC and monitor and subwoofer in same outlet

If it's overloaded the breaker or fuse box should keep things safe before something bad happens.

Its odd.

The click is probably a realais switching. Nothing to worry.

If you life far away from the transformer things like this can happen. Also your PSU in the PC can handel a 20ms power loss without a problem.

Any kind of overloading should be covered by the fuse. If the fuse doesn't blow up you are fine.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

The click is probably a realais switching. Nothing to worry.

If you life far away from the transformer things like this can happen. Also your PSU in the PC can handel a 20ms power loss without a problem.

Any kind of overloading should be covered by the fuse. If the fuse doesn't blow up you are fine.

Ok good thanks

It's a pretty common thing to have happen. A good ups would definitely fix it (that's what I have my receiver and computer are plugged into) and a good surge protector *might* fix it, but I've never tried.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)