Fan Controllers

Inventrious
Go to solution Solved by ESPclipse,

I appreciate all that advice, thanks! One other question, the case I'm looking at (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc1200kkn1) comes with a fan controller. Is that good enough, or would I need another (or does it depend on which fans I end up getting?)?

The fan controller uses your power supply to power the fans, so the question is can your PSU handle it? That is probably a yes, and a built-in controller is a bit more appealing in my opinion

So I'm trying to build my own PC (I'm new to this), and I have a couple questions on some fan controllers..

First: What should I be looking for in a fan controller?

Second: Is it useful?

Anything else I need to know? Thanks for any help!

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm looking for a touchscreen one.

At bare minimum, fans can be controlled in the BIOS, and PWM fans will alternate RPM depending on temps inside the case, down to a minimum RPM specified in the BIOS. An external fan controller is useful if you like to change fan speeds on the fly

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

First: Does it look visually appealing and does it have enough power to supply the fans that you'd connect to it? Does it have enough channels? Is it affordable and worth it?

Second: It is very useful. Since my motherboard has terrible fan control software i bought a fan controller (Lamptron FC5v3) and it does the job. I usually have all fans max for benching and then tone them down for everyday usage. 

All controllers operate on the 0-12V range and you don't need to really use PWM fans sine you are doing the controlling. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Fan controllers, especially some of the more fully featured ones, sometimes offer support for over the internet pc temperature monitoring and fan control. Could be especially helpful if you leave your pc running a lot when you're not home and something funky happens and all the sudden your pc is cooking.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Its been pretty useful for me because my case has 4 fans and only 3 fan headers meaning that one is going to have to run at full speed and be pretty loud. But with the fan controller I just turn off  or put that all at 40%(lowest setting) so its always quiet.

I appreciate all that advice, thanks! One other question, the case I'm looking at (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc1200kkn1) comes with a fan controller. Is that good enough, or would I need another (or does it depend on which fans I end up getting?)?

The fan controller uses your power supply to power the fans, so the question is can your PSU handle it? That is probably a yes, and a built-in controller is a bit more appealing in my opinion

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

I haven't decided on the power supply, but it probably will be able to handle it. Thank you!