Headphones below $350

monjanger

I've recently decided to step up my game on audio. I listen to EDM, Dubstep, Electric, Trance and music of the sort. I also listen to a little bit of Vocal EDM so keep that in mind. My budget is more towards $300 dollars and $350 is more of a max price. I have been looking into the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. I was originally going to purchase he headphones but then came across the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 which seem to be great in Electro music from what I've heard and focus on that category. The other two headphones I am looking at are the Bose QuietComfort 25 and the Sennheiser HD 650's. I currently have the Bose QuietComfort 2's which are quite old but they still sound great but I'm looking for an upgrade. I have decided that I like sound canceling as well as I do travel quite a bit and my keyboard and computer occasionally create a bit of sound. Thanks! -Monjanger

The Sennheiser 650's, which are the best, flattest sounding headphones from your list, are also open-style transducer headphones, which means external sound can more easily leak out and in. They are also equalized to be naturally flat, which would not be ideal for your preferred genre. V-Moda and Audio-Technica are preferable options for a more "flavoured" EQ and closed-style transducer, so research those. I personally prefer Audio-Technica products, and the ATH-M70x is in your price range, but the legendary M50's are probably all you need if you do not use an external amplifier for your headphones. Headphones are only as good as their source!

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

The Sennheiser 650's, which are the best, flattest sounding headphones from your list, are also open-style transducer headphones, which means external sound can more easily leak out and in. They are also equalized to be naturally flat, which would not be ideal for your preferred genre. V-Moda and Audio-Technica are preferable options for a more "flavoured" EQ and closed-style transducer, so research those. I personally prefer Audio-Technica products, and the ATH-M70x is in your price range, but the legendary M50's are probably all you need if you do not use an external amplifier for your headphones. Headphones are only as good as their source!

From what I've heard, the M70's are not worth the extra $150 dollars. Between the Audio-Technica and the V-MODA which of the two are better for my genre? Also, are the Bose good for this Genre as you did not mention them.

From what I've heard, the M70's are not worth the extra $150 dollars. Between the Audio-Technica and the V-MODA which of the two are better for my genre? Also, are the Bose good for this Genre as you did not mention them.

Bose is typically flat, like the Sennheiser's, but they are kinda shitty imho. My friends call them the "white-man's Beats" lol. Between Audio-Technica and V-MODA, I would side with Audio-Technica, but that is because I have the most experience with their products. Also, if you are looking for even greater bass response than the M50's, Audio-Technica also has the slightly more expensive Pro700MK2 which might fit better with electronic/hip-hop and the like. I have used these personally and they do have a noticeably deeper and more prominent bass response compared to the M50. Again, I cannot attest for V-MODA, though a lot of people like them, too.

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

Bose is typically flat, like the Sennheiser's, but they are kinda shitty imho. My friends call them the "white-man's Beats" lol. Between Audio-Technica and V-MODA, I would side with Audio-Technica, but that is because I have the most experience with their products. Also, if you are looking for even greater bass response than the M50's, Audio-Technica also has the slightly more expensive Pro700MK2 which might fit better with electronic/hip-hop and the like. I have used these personally and they do have a noticeably deeper and more prominent bass response compared to the M50. Again, I cannot attest for V-MODA, though a lot of people like them, too.

I am considering purchasing both the M50's and the V-MODA as they fit into my budget. I will also check out the Pro700MK2. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! -monjanger

I am considering purchasing both the M50's and the V-MODA as they fit into my budget. I will also check out the Pro700MK2. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! -monjanger

Cool, let me know how they compare (if you remember this thread lol)

Senhiser 650 

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

I think the Philips Fidelio X2 would be just the job, especially for edm. If you want something closed with a lot more bass, the V-MODA M-100. It's better than the LP and still within your budget.

I think the Philips Fidelio X2 would be just the job, especially for edm. If you want something closed with a lot more bass, the V-MODA M-100. It's better than the LP and still within your budget.

Here's another question... After doing some research I came across the V-MODA M100s which seem to be the beats killer. Stylish and yet sound great at a reasonable price. My only question is are they good for EDM?

Here's another question... After doing some research I came across the V-MODA M100s which seem to be the beats killer. Stylish and yet sound great at a reasonable price. My only question is are they good for EDM?

Yes.

Reviews have some interesting takeaways here http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-crossfade-m-100

Based on your listening preferences you may do fine with either the V-Moda or M50/70's. Checking out the graphs from HeadRoom shows the M100's have slightly lower mids and treble. You may like the Beyerdynamic Custom One or the DT880/DT990's. The M50's, Custom One Pro, DT990's are all better bang for the buck and appear to have decent frequency graphs and match your listening preferences.

Here are the graphs comparing those options.

You can do custom comparisons here.

Reviews have some interesting takeaways here http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-crossfade-m-100

Based on your listening preferences you may do fine with either the V-Moda or M50/70's. Checking out the graphs from HeadRoom shows the M100's have lower mids and a treble black hole. If you want a more full range dynamic set of cans you may like the Beyerdynamic Custom One or the DT880/DT990's. The M50's, Custom One Pro, DT990's are all better bang for the buck and appear to have decent frequency graphs and match your listening preferences.

Many headphones have a cut through the dreaded sibilance registers by design (the treble "black hole" :rolleyes: ). Frequency response is not dynamic range. And there is more to a headphone than is visible in a FR graph.

I'm sure you're just trying to help, but you need to know what you're talking about first.

Reviews have some interesting takeaways here http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-crossfade-m-100

Based on your listening preferences you may do fine with either the V-Moda or M50/70's. Checking out the graphs from HeadRoom shows the M100's have lower mids and a treble black hole. If you want a more full range dynamic set of cans you may like the Beyerdynamic Custom One or the DT880/DT990's. The M50's, Custom One Pro, DT990's are all better bang for the buck and appear to have decent frequency graphs and match your listening preferences.

What's the difference between the Beyerdynamic Custom One's and the DT880/DT990's? I am definitely going for the M50s but am going to probaly pick up and extra pair and compare. So the Beyerdynamic Custom One or the DT880/DT990's?

What's the difference between the Beyerdynamic Custom One's and the DT880/DT990's? I am definitely going for the M50s but am going to probaly pick up and extra pair and compare. So the Beyerdynamic Custom One or the DT880/DT990's?

COP is designed to be portable. 880/990 are studio monitors. I believe the COP is missing out on a treble spike the others have, and the 880's bass isn't as accentuated as the other two.

COP is designed to be portable. 880/990 are studio monitors. I believe the COP is missing out on a treble spike the others have, and the 880's bass isn't as accentuated as the other two.

Did i get a fake DT880 or there's something wrong with my ears. DT800 was bassy to me, almost too bassy infact but it wasnt warm though

I'm leaning twoards the DT 990's of the two. What are your thoughts on the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 Professional DJ Monitor Headphones?

The COP is closed and has the most and deepest bass. The 990 has a lot of mid- and upper-bass, but like the DT 880 has rolloff through the sub-bass. The 880 has no bass boost whatsoever and would probably not be best for EDM.

Did i get a fake DT880 or there's something wrong with my ears. DT800 was bassy to me, almost too bassy infact but it wasnt warm though

What kind of bass?

Sony MDR-1A. Bass is not too overpowered, and pretty warm. Mids are a little far, while highs are pretty accurate. 

Also, they are really comfortable. I use these for basically all types of electronic music, and they are great for that. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

What kind of bass?

Deep rumble bass, i expected a better bass compared to HD600 since the roll off is much more gentle. But i held the headphone and I could actually feel the sub bass rumble.

For something that people say as 'extremely clean, bright and revealing' it sure was a surprised. But then again, i like AKG lean and bright character

Sony MDR-1A. Bass is not too overpowered, and pretty warm. Mids are a little far, while highs are pretty accurate.

Also, they are really comfortable. I use these for basically all types of electronic music, and they are great for that.

I've heard the Sony MDR1A are actually a little bit overpriced. Are they fairly comforterble? Also, would you say these are focused on Electronic music or are more all around good?

Deep rumble bass, i expected a better bass compared to HD600 since the roll off is much more gentle. But i held the headphone and I could actually feel the sub bass rumble.

For something that people say as 'extremely clean, bright and revealing' it sure was a surprised. But then again, i like AKG lean and bright character

Then I don't know what to tell you. Sub-bass is there with the DT 880s, but "rumble" it does not, for me.

I've heard the Sony MDR1A are actually a little bit overpriced. Are they fairly comforterble? Also, would you say these are focused on Electronic music or are more all around good?

Sony says they are for all types, I use them for electronic music. And the bass is perfect, but the actual sound really depends on your AMP.

The leather ear cups are curved just right, they are very comfortable. And make a really good seal on your head. 

Sony says they are for all types, I use them for electronic music. And the bass is perfect, but the actual sound really depends on your AMP.

The leather ear cups are curved just right, they are very comfortable. And make a really good seal on your head.

I'm going for something like a E6 Fii0 to start off. I've actually never used a amp before... Have any suggestions?

I'm going for something like a E6 Fii0 to start off. I've actually never used a amp before... Have any suggestions?

Nope, I use my phone for music because it has a pretty nice AMP. (Xperia Z1)