March 27, 2015 - The WAN Show Document

nicklmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25yk1S7Sa0&feature=youtu.be

Soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/thewanshow/the-wan-show-night-vision-for-humans-youtube-targeting-esports-events

New shirt: http://teespring.com/sifp

News

Electric cars could boost CO2 emissions in some provinces

Source 1: cbc.ca/news

• replacing your gas guzzler with an electric car may be worse for the environment in some provinces

• affected provinces are Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia

• electric cars generate more carbon over their lifetimes than gas-powered cars said Chris Kennedy, a professor of civil engineering at the University of Toronto

• due to these provinces generating electricity through coal burning plants

[Rumor] Nvidia reading GM200-based GeForce GTX 980 Ti?

Source 1: linustechtips.com/nvidia-readying-gm200-based… OP: sir_game_alot

Source 2: techpowerup.com/nvidia-readying-gm200-based…

• based on the 28nm GM200 silicon which powers the Titan X

• rumored that Nvidia will call it the GTX 980 Ti or the GTX 990...985?

• reported by SweClockers

• full complement of 3072 CUDA cores and 6GB of memory (compared to the 12GB of Titan X)

• memory bus width stays at 384-bit

• since this card would be available for add-in card partners with custom cooling designs, there is the potential that this card could clock significantly higher than the Titan X which is limited to the stock cooler

• likely to be timed with the launch of AMD’s 390X

Apple employees to give fashion advice.

Source 1: digitaltrends.com

• Apple retail personnel have been instructed to make comments such as, “You seem to have a fun style. I think the pink Sport band would match your style perfectly.”

• also told to explain how other customers chose their Apple Watch

• present choices outside of a person’s price range just in case there’s a chance to upsell

• big launch day for Apple Watch is April 10. On that day, people will be able to try on the Apple Watch for 15 minutes.

New Tesla Spotted

Source 1: dailycaller.com

• drivers shot a video of the car first noticed by TechCrunch and uploaded it to YouTube late last week.

• signature parts of the trim, lights and brand markings were camouflaged in white

• Model X’s other familiar design elements revealed for the first time in 2012 were unmistakable

• was Tesla’s formidable, noiseless acceleration

• not the first time the car has been spotted in the wild n

Intel and Micron announce 3D NAND production, open gates to 10TB SSDs

Source 1: linustechtips.com/intel-and-micron-announce… OP: Amit Moryossef

Source 2: digitaltrends.com/intel-3d-nand-10tb…

• revealed on Thursday

• Intel and Micron teamed up

• not only can it create high capacity SSDs, it should also drive down the prices of low capacity SSDs

• quoting a maxiumum capacity of 48GB per memory die

• equates to 3.5TB in small M.2 drives, over 10TB in 2.5” SSD

• In doing so it greatly increases the potential data capacity of a single chip. Intel and Micron are quoting a maximum capacity of 48GB per memory die

YouTube reportedly challenging Twitch w/ new streaming service

Source 1: linustechtips.com/youtube-challenging-twitch… OP: Srgnt_Ballistic

Source 2: technobuffalo.com/twitch-competitor-youtube-streaming…

• live streaming product

• already allows livestreaming, this will put a larger focus on gaming and broadcast events

• specifically wants to cater to esports

• “Google reportedly wants to do it bigger and better with major sponsorships and exclusive events.”

• “There’ll be huge opportunities for established streamers and organizations soon and I would say that the record numbers of esports viewers are only going to grow when Google start promoting and partnering with these events.”

Is this the LG G4 Note?

Source 1: linustechtips.com/is-this-the-g4-note… OP: snowComet

Source 2: xda-developers.com/lg-g4-note-leaks

• photos leaked of a large G4

• has been rumored for some time now to compete with Samsung Note series

• LG CEO stated that G4 will come out in Q2, another high-end product in the second half of 2015

• still unconfirmed, but relatively safe to assume that this is the G4 Note

HTC One M9 released today, widely available April 10

Source 1: linustechtips.com/m9-release-is-tonight-available… OP: Zambonie

Source 2: ca.ign.com/unlocked-htc-one...

• unlocked version available from HTC’s site for $650

• 5” screen, 20 megapixel camera capable of 4k, 64-bit Snapdragon 810, 3GB of RAM

• allegedly offers 21.7 hours of 3G talktime and 400 hours of standby on a single charge

• up to 32GB internal storage, up to 2TB of storage via micro-SD

• comes with “Uh-oh Protection” which we discussed last week, one free replacement for water damage, cracked screen, or switching carriers, overnighted to you

Xbox Ones will use a collective $250 million in energy over the course of a year. In standby

Source 1: linustechtips.com/xbox-ones-will-use… OP: matt12046

Source 2: nerdreactor.com/xbox-one-consumes…

• even when the console appears to be off, it continuously draws significant power just having voice commands enabled

• would be easy to fix this poor design flaw

• Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has repeatedly requested that Microsoft solves the problem, but they have not

• more than 7 million Xbox One consoles sold in NA

• you can fix the issue yourself by disabling “Instant On” mode, but that option is buried deep within the menu

• in EU it is disabled by default

Amazon announces unlimited cloud storage plans

Source 1: linustechtips.com/amazon-announces… OP: ahhming

Source 2: amazon.com/clouddrive/learn…

• “Unlimited Everything Plan”

• $59.99/year

• unlimited uploads

• also have an “Unlimited Photos Plan” for $11.99/year or $1/month

• store as many photos as you like in the cloud

• both offer 3-month trials, 90-days before committing

• Your Files for personal, non-commercial purposes

WARNING: There is a kinda freakish image, so if you are a bit of a 'scaredy cat', you have been warned.

Bio-hackers have figured out how to inject night-vision into your eyes

Source 1: linustechtips.com/bio-hackers-have-figured PICS OF INJECTION IN EYE OP: MrMineHeads

Source 2: mic.com/a-team-of-biohackers… PICS OF INJECTION IN EYE

• allows humans to see over 50 meters into the dark for a short time

• theorized that they could enhance healthy eyesight enough to induce night vision

• use a king of chlorophyll analog called Chlorin e6 or Ce6

• chemical found in some deep-sea fish used as an occasional method to treat night blindness

• has actually been used intravenously as a treatment for some cancers since the ‘60s

• they slowly drip 50 microliters of Ce6 into the eye, aiming for the conjunctival sac, which carries the chemical to the retina using what is essentially a really fine turkey baster

• guy who had it done to him “To me, it was a quick, greenish-black blur across my vision, and then it dissolved into my eyes.”

• effects start kicking in within an hour

• in the woods he could identify where someone was, even if they were standing against a tree, at 50 metres

• he had 100% accuracy with the Ce6, without the Ce6 he only had 33% accuracy

• they’ll be doing further testing and presenting a study, but it’s not hard to acquire the chemical as is

PayPal fined $7.7M for allowing illegal payments

Source 1: linustechtips.com/paypal-fined-77m… OP: Master Disaster

Source 2: bbc.co.uk/new-technology…

• US Treasury Department says PayPal failed to adequately screen and prevent transactions

• includes a $7,000 transaction from someone listed by US gov’t as involved in proliferation of weapons of mass destruction

• PayPal said they had “voluntarily” reported to the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (Ofac) certain payments between 2009 and 2013

• delays in scanning allowed some prohibited payments to be completed

• “Since then, we’ve taken additional steps to support compliance with Ofac regulations

• one case involved Kursad Zafer Cire, named by US State Dept in 2009 as being linked to weapons of mass destruction

• PayPal reportedly processed 136 transactions to or from account registered to his name

• other payments involved goods and services going to and from Cuba, Sudan, and Iran

• according to Treasury Department, nearly 500 transactions worth almost $44,000 had potentially violated sanctions that ban US companies from doing business with individuals or organisations on a blacklist

Elon Musk: “Burning fossil fuels is the dumbest experiment in history, by far”

Source 1: linustechtips.com/elon-musk-burning-fossil-fuels… OP: Johners

Source 2: archive.today/2zsHv

• was in a conversation with Cosmos host Neil deGrasse Tyson

• “If we don’t find a solution to burning oil for transport, when we run out of oil, the economy will collapse and society will come to an end.” Musk

• “If we know we have to get off oil no matter what, we know that is an inescapable outcome, why run this crazy experiment of changing the chemical composition of the atmosphere and oceans by adding enormous amounts of CO2 that have been buried since the Precambrian Era? That's crazy. That's the dumbest experiment in history, by far.”

• Tyson sounded surprised: "Can you think of a dumber experiment?" he asked Musk.

• "I honestly cannot. What good could possibly come of [staying on oil]," Musk said.

• of course Musk has a vested interest in clean energies becoming the norm based on his current investments and companies, but I think it’s safe to say that he is very knowledgeable in this area

• difficult to make change in the US because of the influence the oil giants have on the politics and economy

•  

Dissecting G-Sync and FreeSync - How the Technologies Differ

Source 1: linustechtips.com - dissecting g sync and freesync how the t OP: Werto165

Source 2: pcper.com - Dissecting G Sync and FreeSync How Technologies Differ

• “it’s more than just a branding issue”

• 40-144Hz both offer “pure variable frame rate” where the refresh rate of the display matches the game’s frame rate

• above 144fps both go into a V-Sync state (as long as you enable V-Sync in FreeSync)

• below 40fps they shift

• FreeSync keeps the refresh rate static as frame rate dips below 40Hz

• causes a combination of stutter and frame tearing (if V-Sync is off)

• G-Sync starts doubling refresh rate and inserting duplicate frames starting at around 37 FPS

• continues until game frame rate hits 19/20 FPS where a third frame is inserted and refresh rate is increased again

• effectively G-Sync has no bottom window for variable refresh and produces the same result as if the display was going to the lower refresh rates without artifacting or flickering

• possible that AMD could implement a similar doubling algorithm for FreeSync at the driver level without the need for an external module

• Radeon GPUs have the ability to send out a duplicate frame based on what frame rate it is rendering at

• this would require a great deal of cooperation between panel vendors and AMD

"Halo Online" Beta Coming to PC

Source 1: linustechtips.com/main/topic/335227-halo-online-beta-coming-to-pc/ OP: Madsprite

Source 2: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play

Source 3: engadget.com/2015/03/25/halo-online-free-pc-russia/

Source 4: engadget.com/tag/343Industries/

Source 5: linustechtips.com/main/page/articles.html/_/articles

Source 6: halowaypoint.com - halo online closed beta launching in russia

• launching free-to-play closed beta in Russia

• PC-only

• based on a modified Halo 3 engine

• capable of running on low-end PCs

• coming from Saber Interactive and software developer Innova Systems, partners of 343 Industries and Microsoft

NEW SHIRT http://teespring.com/sifp

RAPID FIRE Twitch leaks a bunch of personal information

Source 1: linustechtips.com/twitch-got-hacked OP: Tocsin_786

• “there may have been unauthorized access to some of your Twitch user account information, including possibly your Twitch username and associated email address, the latest IP address you logged in from, and any of the following if you provided it to us: first and last name, phone number, address, and date of birth.”

• one would think that after the Sony issues last year other services would have learned and changed their practices

Valve Approved Half Life 2 Update

Source 1: linustechtips.com/valve-approved-half-life… OP: qwertywarrior

Source 2: nextpowerup.com/valve-approved-half…

• fan-made Half Life 2 mod

• available as a free update on Steam

• includes enhanced textures, improved lighting and effects, bug fixes and more

• aims to give the best HL2 experience yet

OnePlus to release new drone next month

Source 1: linustechtips.com/update-326-oneplus-to-release… OP: Majinferno

Source 2: reddit.com/r/30dmjj/oneplus_amaa_late_march…

• called the DR-1

• revealed in a reddit ama

• just over a year after their inception as a company they’re entering a new product category

• no real information, just “It’s almost here” tagline

Titan X Running at over 2GHz

Source 1: linustechtips.com/titan-x-running-over… OP: UltraNeonGaming

Source 2: facebook.com/kingpin

• KINGPIN made it happen

• using LN2 to cool it

• peaked at just over 2GHz running FireStrike

Facebook shares at an all time high, as of Tuesday $85.31

Source 1: 680news.com

• somewhat surprising as thought Facebook was on it’s way out

• Facebook in talks with the likes of the New York times re links on your home page

YouTube is experimenting with 4K 60fps

Source 1: linustechtips.com/youtube-does-60fps… OP: GMdavidson

Source 2: engadget.com/youtube-4k-60fps…

• low-key, semi-secret playlist with 6 videos

• have 4K 60fps on all 6 videos

Yay!

Someone give me her number

Cough cough

Great show as always

pls i need her number

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

TY, I was waiting for this (only got the last few seconds).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I was wondering what happened to the WAN show. Thought I missed the thread or something.

-snip-

How inappropriate. Poor Mrs. Lafreniere. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Awesome wan show

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs

i seriously thought that it was linus from the thumbnail and that he was wearing a wig and got a bad spray on tan

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Can we have her on the show a LOT more? She fits in perfectly.

@Slick,

<3 your mum dude, shes freakin awesome :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What's the result of the "engine sound" poll?

Dude Luke, I thought since you and Linus are like really pasty milky white... everyone in Canada is that way.  But obviously I was wrong... your mom's all perfectly golden and tan.  You guys should get more sun, it would probably do you some good.  Great show anyways, it's good that you and your mom can do it just as well.

My rig =SCOUT2= 

Awesome show. Your mom is the mvp @Slick.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Best WAN show ever.

The only ways it could have been better:

1. If Luke had actually posted some of those straw polls in the twitch chat, from what I experienced he only did one.

2. If Lukes mom had called Linus in asia and threatened him over the phone. For any random ass reason.

3. If Lukes mom had brought embarrassing photo's of Luke as a child.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That Xbox thing is sensationalist as hell and you all know it. 

Standby mode on the Xbox One is an INTENTIONAL USER CHOICE. The console DOES NOT ship with it enabled. You pick which one. Either the traditional "it turns off" or the "it stays in instant on mode". Come on. 

• even when the console appears to be off, it continuously draws significant power just having voice commands enabled

• Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has repeatedly requested that Microsoft solves the problem, but they have not

• you can fix the issue yourself by disabling “Instant On” mode, but that option is buried deep within the menu

1. Significant power? Really? 

post-385-0-82592100-1427464220.png

2. Poor design flaw? See above. 

3. Why would MS fix something that is intentionally designed, as explained above?

4. Buried deep in the menu? No. Settings -> Power -> there it is

5. Just like its disabled by default everywhere. Like explained above. YOU PICK which one you want when you set the console up. 

Are we gonna jump on the "DAE CONSOLES R SHITE" bandwagon without actually ever doing some fact checking?? 

Fairly certain my PC draws as much in standby (if not more) and it draws 5-6 times as much during gaming. But no, if we acknowledge that we can't have a circle jerk about it. 

That Xbox thing is sensationalist as hell and you all know it. 

Standby mode on the Xbox One is an INTENTIONAL USER CHOICE. The console DOES NOT ship with it enabled. You pick which one. Either the traditional "it turns off" or the "it stays in instant on mode". Come on. 

1. Significant power? Really? 

post-385-0-82592100-1427464220.png

2. Poor design flaw? See above. 

3. Why would MS fix something that is intentionally designed, as explained above?

4. Buried deep in the menu? No. Settings -> Power -> there it is

5. Just like its disabled by default everywhere. Like explained above. YOU PICK which one you want when you set the console up. 

Are we gonna jump on the "DAE CONSOLES R SHITE" bandwagon without actually ever doing some fact checking?? 

You're forgetting that as far as most consolers are concerned, Settings -> Power -> there it is, counts as being buried in the settings.

"we don't feel like messing with settings, consoles are easier to set up".

Although this argument is negated by the fact that it doesn't come with that function enabled.

You're forgetting that as far as most consolers are concerned, Settings -> Power -> there it is, counts as being buried in the settings.

"we don't feel like messing with settings, consoles are easier to set up".

Although this argument is negated by the fact that it doesn't come with that function enabled.

Gaming PC's at a mere idle state consume so much more, and I'm confident that PC's on sleep or even completely turned off will draw just as much/more power than the Xbone. 

Gaming PC's at a mere idle state consume so much more, and I'm confident that PC's on sleep or even completely turned off will draw just as much/more power than the Xbone. 

Never said that they didn't. Just stating that the usual best argument for consoles is "don't have to fiddle with settings in order to game", so anything in the settings menu's on a console qualifies as "buried in the settings".

Never said that they didn't. Just stating that the usual best argument for consoles is "don't have to fiddle with settings in order to game", so anything in the settings menu's on a console qualifies as "buried in the settings".

Well, they don't. Lol. This is a power savings mode, not a uber setting for a boost in performance.

I am confused a little, i've put my computer to sleep, and it draws exactly 0v, i know this because o have my PC attached to a UPS that reds almost everything, (APC UPS 1000Va smart ups), i know when the PC is in sleep, it's practically hybernating because, even if i remove the entire PC apart and reattach the and power cable to the wall and switch on, it resumes window, so my doubt is how does sleep on PC draw any power ? afaik with practical proof, it never does, 

or am i missing something here ?  :huh:

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker