4X8gb ram or 2x16gb?

Hi everyone.  I am curious to know which is better ram for my Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Z97.  Should i buy 4 x 8gm sticks or should I buy 2 x 16gb sticks?  Ill be using the computer for gaming only, so i dont know what ram to buy.  Any help is appreciated.  :-)

2x8. If, for some reason, you need more in the future, the upgrade will be easier.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Hi everyone.  I am curious to know which is better ram for my Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Z97.  Should i buy 4 x 8gm sticks or should I buy 2 x 16gb sticks?  Ill be using the computer for gaming only, so i dont know what ram to buy.  Any help is appreciated.  :-)

Wait, I just reread it. Only ecc memory comes in 16GB dimms. Do you mean 4x4GB(16GB) vs 2x8GB(16GB)?

Wait, I just reread it. Only ecc memory comes in 16GB dimms. Do you mean 4x4GB(16GB) vs 2x8GB(16GB)?

He wants to go for 32GB. He is asking if its better to go with dual channel 2x16GB or quad channel configuration 4x8GB.

My opinion:

If you are not planning to upgrade your system's ram 4x8gb sticks would do the trick. Quad channel is much better because the information can go through all 4 of them which means the ram usage is much more efficient. If you are planning to upgrade your ram (I dont think you need more than 32gb unless you are running a server) go with the 2x16GB. But that is going to be slower and plus, you will have to buy ecc memory to be able to find 16gb ram sticks.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 4.6 GHZ 1.392vCore ||||| Cooler: Hyper 212 evo ||||| MOBO: Gigabyte 990XA UD3 REV 3.0 ||||| RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury (Single channel) 1866 8GB CL10 ||||| GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB ||||| PSU: CoolerMaster G550m 80+ Bronze ||||| SSD: Kingston SSDnow v300 ||||| HDDs: 2x 250gb 1x Wedstern Digital 320gb |||| Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Black Pure Midnight

He wants to go for 32GB. He is asking if its better to go with dual channel 2x16GB or quad channel configuration 4x8GB.

theres no such thing as quad channel on 1150 motherboards

Go with two 8 GB sticks. 16 GB is more than enough for today, and probably for quite a while forwards.

Not true, however currently only 1333MTS 16GB non ECC modules are available retail and OP may find they do not work on his Z97.

My opinion:

If you are not planning to upgrade your system's ram 4x8gb sticks would do the trick. Quad channel is much better because the information can go through all 4 of them which means the ram usage is much more efficient. If you are planning to upgrade your ram (I dont think you need more than 32gb unless you are running a server) go with the 2x16GB. But that is going to be slower and plus, you will have to buy ecc memory to be able to find 16gb ram sticks.

Unless he has a Xeon and ECC memory, 32GB is the max. 4X8GB is the only choice that he has.

Not true, however currently only 1333MTS 16GB non ECC modules are available retail and OP may find they do not work on his Z97.

Link? I've never seen them for sale.

Also, Z97 only supports non-ecc up to 32GB total, 8GB max in each slot.

If upgrading in the future isn't your plan, get whichever is cheapest I guess. It doesn't make a difference in terms of performance.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Link? I've never seen them for sale.

Also, Z97 only supports non-ecc up to 32GB total, 8GB max in each slot.

From Jul 2014

http://rog.asus.com/340082014/rampage-motherboards/max-your-mem-128gb-ddr3-support-on-rampage-iv-black-edition-and-asus-x79-motherboards/

FWIW SODIMM also available. NUC with 2 slots and 32GB although specs are 16GB max. Most of these max RAM Intel specs come with a disclaimer. ;) Micron also have 16GB modules but as yet not released to retail and are monolithic 1600MTS with maybe 1866MTS also.

As already mentioned there maybe limits in the BIOS firmware and/or problems with the OP's CPU, idk. Better to stick with 8GB modules for now IMHO.

Where to buy http://www.intelligentmemory.com/where-to-buy/

is there a DDR3 16GB DIMM? Never seen one...

Anyway, I would not really worry about RAM speed, as unless you are doing something really specific(  video editing) you will see no difference( Linus made a RAM speed comparison video a while ago)

Yes, Dual channel is better than single, but not by miles (real life usage)

Link or it didnt happen... As far as i know, there are non non-ecc 16gb dimms. And if there are, they arent really available yet

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Link or it didnt happen... As far as i know, there are non non-ecc 16gb dimms. And if there are, they arent really available yet

Woot! Link already posted in post 17, 2 posts above yours.

Guess I might as well add the link for the NUC working with 16GB DDR3 non-ecc SODIMM modules although it's OT :/. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2894509/want-32gb-of-ram-in-your-laptop-or-nuc-you-can-finally-do-it.html

Woot! Link already posted in post 17, 2 posts above yours.

Guess I might as well add the link for the NUC working with 16GB DDR3 non-ecc SODIMM modules although it's OT :/. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2894509/want-32gb-of-ram-in-your-laptop-or-nuc-you-can-finally-do-it.html

Thats for laptops. If it exists, it isnt available anywhere in a shop in germany, just searched pretty much all big sites and only found 16 and 32gb ecc dimms.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

ECC DDR3 ram is only going to work on server grade C-series chipset boards.

a Z97 board will not even support those dimms, if you want 32GB, then he simply needs 4x8GB sticks.

like i said there are 16GB DDR3 modules, but they are ECC Rdimm or Udimm, so server grade stuff.

They will not work on a Z series chipsetboard.

I don't think that board could use 16 GB sticks, even if he could easily find it. I believe it can only use 8 GB sticks in the first place. May be wrong in this. Just saying.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

@-iSynthesis Are you trolling or considering buying them. I doubt somehow it's the latter as you would have seen there's a distributor with email and phone number for Germany in the link post #17.

It's a niche product, most people don't need huge amounts of memory and a single module costs from USD325. That means you are not going to see them in huge supply, hanging with the other lower density modules at your local computer shop.

@Griffscavern That is a possibility as already mentioned.

In my honest opinion, I'd do 4x 4GB, just because should a stick go bad 4GB stcks are a LOT cheaper to replace if need be lol