nVidia Shield Tablet 2! potential summer launch

Lots of speculation in the articles, but seems like we might be able to see a Tegra X1 powered Shield Tablet 2:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/tablets/3605452/nvidia-shield-2-tablet-uk-release-date-price-specs-rumours/

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/02/09/nvidia-shield-tablet-2-rumors-release-specs/

Hopefully, they'll build off of the well received original platform and just give us all the power of the new chip.  Although, Linus will still probably want a stand to mount it to the front of his controller. Ha!

Finally, I hope this is true. I'v been waiting for a while.

Woops, misread that, thought it was the Shield portable.Oh well!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Sounds interesting, but I find ~8" tablets kind of pointless. To me they are too close to some phones in terms of size. If I am going to carry around another device then I want a bigger difference than that (like 10" or maybe bigger).

I really hope they make it a 10" this time (10", 3:2 or 16:10)

The Tegra X1 seems like a beast though.

256 Maxwell cores (compared to 192 Kepler in the K1)

4x A57 cores and 4x A53 cores (compared to 4x A15 cores and 1 small core in the K1)

20nm transistors (compared to 28nm in the K1)

Unless this chip uses Denver cores there are already Broadwell U I7s that walk all over this in graphics performance. What's Nvidia's game?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Unless this chip uses Denver cores there are already Broadwell U I7s that walk all over this in graphics performance. What's Nvidia's game?

It uses A53 and A57 cores. This is not meant to compete with i7s since it's a low cost (~20 dollars) and low power part.

The i7 U costs 400 dollars or more, is a lot bigger, has a TDP that's 3-4 times higher and most likely uses a lot more power as well. That's also before you count in other stuff like needing a bigger and more complex motherboard for the i7.

God please do a portable 2 also.

It uses A53 and A57 cores. This is not meant to compete with i7s since it's a low cost (~20 dollars) and low power part.

The i7 U costs 400 dollars or more, is a lot bigger, has a TDP that's 3-4 times higher and most likely uses a lot more power as well. That's also before you count in other stuff like needing a bigger and more complex motherboard for the i7.

15W TDP, same as the X1, and it costs $200, but thanks for playing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

15W TDP, same as the X1, and it costs $200, but thanks for playing.

and what's the msrp of a i7 u chip then

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

15W TDP, same as the X1

The Tegra K1 is about 7 watts in TDP (that's a fairly high estimation by the way, some say it's 5W). It's not 15 watts like the i7 U. You have to go down to Core M to match it in TDP.

and it costs $200, but thanks for playing.

I am going to need a citation on that. Intel's own website has the recommended price for bulk orders as 393 dollars for the i7-5600U (the cheapest one).

Even if what you say is true, that's still about 10 times as high as the ~20 dollars for the Tegra.

Even if what you said was true, you are still not factoring in size, extra components needed and power consumption. Please get off your high horse.

I was hoping this would come out. I have been thinking about picking up a tablet for couch surfing, and I really like the design of the Shield Tablets. I was hoping this was going to be announced when they announced the shield console. 

If this is a thing, I will buy it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I was going to buy one over the summer for note taking in school and then portable gaming. I would be so happy if they actually did this.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

The Tegra K1 is about 7 watts in TDP (that's a fairly high estimation by the way, some say it's 5W). It's not 15 watts like the i7 U. You have to go down to Core M to match it in TDP.

I am going to need a citation on that. Intel's own website has the recommended price for bulk orders as 393 dollars for the i7-5600U (the cheapest one).

Even if what you say is true, that's still about 10 times as high as the ~20 dollars for the Tegra.

Even if what you said was true, you are still not factoring in size, extra components needed and power consumption. Please get off your high horse.

X1 is 15, built to go into cars. K1 full tilt on CPU and GPU goes to 10.

And no, the Tegra X1 is not that cheap. The die size is for all intents and purposes the same.

and what's the msrp of a i7 u chip then

Both the Tegra X1 and 5600U have about a $200 asking price in bulk orders of 100,000.

X1 is 15, built to go into cars. K1 full tilt on CPU and GPU goes to 10.

[Citation Needed]

I am assuming it will have a similar TDP to the chip before it, the K1. The K1 is estimated to have about a 7W TDP (for the entire chip, not just the CPU portion). I think it's kind of silly to assume the TDP will double because they add ~30% more cores when they are also moving to small transistor size.

And no, the Tegra X1 is not that cheap. The die size is for all intents and purposes the same.

Both the Tegra X1 and 5600U have about a $200 asking price in bulk orders of 100,000.

[Citation fucking needed]

Why the hell do you expect the price to go up 1,000% from the K1 to the X1? That makes no sense. The cost of a K1 is about 20 dollars, and you expect the X1 to go up to 200? Where the hell are you even getting that 200 dollar price for the i7 from? Intel's own website says 393 dollars for each in a pack of 1,000. I want a citation on that too.

I hope they put some work on the screen also, it is way to easy to see the touch interface on my Shield Tablet. Also, the buttons are terrible, the worst I have ever used on any portable device. They are shallow, mushy and with no travel nor tactile feedback when pressed.

Otherwise it is a really good tablet but Android needs to get it's shit together when it comes to standby power consumption.

Finally, I hope this is true. I'v been waiting for a while.

Woops, misread that, thought it was the Shield portable.Oh well!

we may get our wish. Eariler On r/Android I saw a post about the probable 2 using the x1.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..