WATER or AIR?

Hi guys i'm in some kind of a dilemma because i'm going to get a CPU cooler for my A8 apu which should i choose? 

i mainly use my computer for games, adobe and maya.

corsair h110

or 

noctua nh-d14 

please state the pro's and cons thanks  in advance.

Air. D14 is overkill for that chip. Get something smaller like the 212 EVO or one of those Be Quiet coolers.

Air. D14 is overkill for that chip. Get something smaller like the 212 EVO or one of those Be Quiet coolers.

so a water cooler would also be overkill i assume? also i have an r7 260x vga and the create pretty intense heat.

so a water cooler would also be overkill i assume? also i have an r7 260x vga and the create pretty intense heat.

Go for a Hyper 212 Evo, more than enogh cooling power. Water or Large air coolers are going to be overkill and waste money. For an a8 nothing more than a Hyper 212 is needed. 

I second, or third, what was suggested above. I have an i5-4690k @ 4.4ghz 1.190v with a CM Hyper 212 Evo. This cooler is nearly impossible to beat for $35, and it fights well above it's price. 

As for your GPU creating heat, attempt to fit a few more fans in your case. Aim for Positive Pressure(take a tissue to a vent that has no fan and it should push out not suck in). Positive Pressure cools a bit less than Negative Pressure, but the dust is mostly eliminated.

For example, my case, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. I have 8 case fans. 5in/3out. 2x140 intakes. 2x120 intakes. 3x140 exhausts. All Static Pressure fans by Phanteks. I have a R9-290x Lightning and have zero heat issues.

As for the CM Hyper 212 Evo, make sure you have the fan receiving air from the front of the case directly and make sure the side with no fan is aimed right at your rear exhaust. 

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

NH-D15

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

I second, or third, what was suggested above. I have an i5-4690k @ 4.4ghz 1.190v with a CM Hyper 212 Evo. This cooler is nearly impossible to beat for $35, and it fights well above it's price. 

As for your GPU creating heat, attempt to fit a few more fans in your case. Aim for Positive Pressure(take a tissue to a vent that has no fan and it should push out not suck in). Positive Pressure cools a bit less than Negative Pressure, but the dust is mostly eliminated.

For example, my case, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. I have 8 case fans. 5in/3out. 2x140 intakes. 2x120 intakes. 3x140 exhausts. All Static Pressure fans by Phanteks. I have a R9-290x Lightning and have zero heat issues.

As for the CM Hyper 212 Evo, make sure you have the fan receiving air from the front of the case directly and make sure the side with no fan is aimed right at your rear exhaust. 

Go for a Hyper 212 Evo, more than enogh cooling power. Water or Large air coolers are going to be overkill and waste money. For an a8 nothing more than a Hyper 212 is needed. 

ok cool thanks for all the help. so just go with a simple air cooler then? :)) i personally want to get a d14 but my father insists that i should get liquid cooling :/

ok cool thanks for all the help. so just go with a simple air cooler then? :)) i personally want to get a d14 but my father insists that i should get liquid cooling :/

I'd not go above the CM Hyper 212 Evo for the CPU you have. If you had a FX-8350, i5-4690k, i7-4790k, then I think we'd all be suggesting an All in One Liquid Cooling solution.

If you doubt it, my CM Hyper 212 Evo keeps my 4.4ghz i5-4690k under 50c at all times when gaming in CPU-Intensive MMO's. It will not struggle at all with your chip. ;)

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

I'd not go above the CM Hyper 212 Evo for the CPU you have. If you had a FX-8350, i5-4690k, i7-4790k, then I think we'd all be suggesting an All in One Liquid Cooling solution.

If you doubt it, my CM Hyper 212 Evo keeps my 4.4ghz i5-4690k under 50c at all times when gaming in CPU-Intensive MMO's. It will not struggle at all with your chip. ;)

oh so an 8350 would need a liquid cooler? :)) that the chip i wanted at first. but my budget didn't let me :)) anyway thanks for the replies!! much help i will be convincing my father about this issue :) its hard when your father thinks you don't know anything hahaha

thanks again guys!!

oh so an 8350 would need a liquid cooler? :)) that the chip i wanted at first. but my budget didn't let me :)) anyway thanks for the replies!! much help i will be convincing my father about this issue :) its hard when your father thinks you don't know anything hahaha

thanks again guys!!

The 8350 doesn't "need" a liquid cooler... but it is advised if you want a kick ass OC out of it.

The 8350 doesn't "need" a liquid cooler... but it is advised if you want a kick ass OC out of it.

thanks for the information guys. i will save up for an fx chip soon :))

hey just an update i'll probably pull the trigger on a coolermaster evo 212.. well apparently the item that i was going to buy aint a CM evo212 its just a 212x  its about 22$ will it work as much as the 212 evo?

thanks in advance!

really like the look of the D14 tho. :))

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys just an update, so i just installed a CM hyper 212x and my APU was idle temp was around 70- 76 and i think that's not normal. because my idle temp on stock was 70. so can anyone help please? 

THANKS!

hey guys just an update, so i just installed a CM hyper 212x and my APU was idle temp was around 70- 76 and i think that's not normal. because my idle temp on stock was 70. so can anyone help please? 

THANKS!

It may be a false reading, FM2/+ chips do have a little problem with giving accurate temperature readings, I saw it myself where with my X4 760K I'd open Chrome and my CPU would be over 100 degrees celsius according to CPUID. But still try remounting the CPU cooler and or applying new thermal paste.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.