i5 4690k with titan x sli

Geno Boost

will this processor bottleneck the gpu's over 10-15% when compared to x99 i7 5820k/i7 5960x

no, unless you plan to do stuff like 3d rendering or editing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

im sure it will be fine 

I second this it will be fine, but that's absurd getting 2 titan x's without even upgrading to an i7 IMO

the Titan X is supposed to be for people who are devs or other productivity users. so getting a Titan X with an i5 is nonsense, not to mention getting 2

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

DO YOU PEOPLE WHO REPLY EVEN KNOW OR ARE YOU GUESSING NO BECAUSE YOU SEE INTEL???

I've seen some Crossfire setups (290/290x) bottleneck with an i5 3570K @ 4.4Ghz while playing a few games,.. Crysis3/FC3/Metro with GPU usage in the 75-85% range, still spiking to 100% on both time to time.

I'm sure it may do the same to a TitanX SLI setup, but can't be 100% sure,...Cant speak for Nvidia's driver/optimization support on SLI as I do not own the ecosystem at home.

will this processor bottleneck the gpu's over 10-15%

If you can afford 2 titan x you can afford an I7 4970k ...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Let's agree to disagree

I second this it will be fine, but that's absurd getting 2 titan x's without even upgrading to an i7 IMO

the Titan X is supposed to be for people who are devs or other productivity users. so getting a Titan X with an i5 is nonsense, not to mention getting 2

titan x does not have double precision like the previous titans had which made them cheap gpus over the quadros, this new titan x is marketed as a super high-end gpu for gamers while the original titans were marketed as developer/rendering cards not gaming cards first.

normally i would said yes but my friend already has the i5 4690k in his system

titan x does not have double precision like the previous titans had which made them cheap gpus over the quadros, this new titan x is marketed as a super high-end gpu for gamers while the original titans were marketed as developer/rendering cards not gaming cards first.

yeah hey don't have the double precision floating point which is sad. But the amount of power it holds can still be unlocked when used by devs etc. Even at 4K a Titan X barely utilizes its vram

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

normally i would said yes but my friend already has the i5 4690k in his system

That being said, yes it will work perfectly. but i dont see the point atm for 2 titans, 1 yes 2 not soo :P

Let's agree to disagree

In general, the 4690k should be fast enough to let two Titan X's stretch their legs with little bottleneck. The single core performance of most high end i5's can rival the single core performance of many i7's in games. That said, there will be some games where you are going to be CPU bound no matter what you do. MMO's are generally the biggest offenders of CPU bound games.

You probably will see a bottleneck eventually, @Geno Boost do you actually have an i5 already? Because going with the X99 platform will be the best way to ensure that you have no issues with the Titan's in SLI.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have an i5 and a Titan X, but that is because I've owned my 4670K since launch day. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

There would probably be a little bottleneck in some games. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2K worth of GPUs with a 200 dollar processor.....

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

2K worth of GPUs with a 200 dollar processor.....

= Buying an APU for a R9280/290X or an GTX 970/980 (some people will and have done that).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Since they removed double precision, no its not for productivity.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

why is everyone saying get an i7... the difference between an i7 and an i5 in games is 0... and the difference between sandy bridge and the current architecture of processors is like 5%... 

plus the added work load on a CPU at high res gaming is almost nothing.. OP hasn't mentioned if its for gaming or rendering and everyones just assuming its gaming.. if sli titans will bottle neck an i5 they'll bottle neck an i7 in the same situation other than rendering and video editing..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Well the i5 is an amazing cpu however two titan x in sli would be bottlenecked. That is of course, unless you are playing at 4k. And since you are spending 2000$ on gpus i expect that you are. 

why is everyone saying get an i7... the difference between an i7 and an i5 in games is 0... and the difference between sandy bridge and the current architecture of processors is like 5%... 

plus the added work load on a CPU at high res gaming is almost nothing.. OP hasn't mentioned if its for gaming or rendering and everyones just assuming its gaming.. if sli titans will bottle neck an i5 they'll bottle neck an i7 in the same situation other than rendering and video editing..

The difference between sandy bridge and haswell is actually more around 20-25%.

The difference between sandy bridge and haswell is actually more around 20-25%.

at stock speeds yes, but everyone overlocks and sandy bridge processors still kick arse in that department.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

DirectX 12 intensifies

Also, i7 might be for someone that look into the future, compressing a movie for example. It something that people do on daily basis. (Handbrake)

Desktop: 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC | RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W | Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB | SSD: XPG M2 SX8200 Pro 512GB | SSD 2: Crucial MX500 500GB | Microphone: Blue Snowball iCE | Headphones: Corsair HS70 Wireless | Soundcard: Maya U5 5.1 | Speakers: Genius SP-HF1800A | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10

Secondary Desktop:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k @stock | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC) | RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix | PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W | Case: SilentiumPC Aquaris X70W | HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB | SSD : Corsair Force LS 240GB

ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550VD:

CPU: i5-7300HQ | RAM: 8GB DDR4, 2400MHz | GPU: GTX 1050 + Intel HD Graphics 630 | Storage: 512GB M.2 SSD 

If someone puts down 2k for GPUs, that person shouldn´t cheap out with the rest of the system. It´s like you buy a Ferrari engine and then put in a van... because this is exactly what we are talking about here. 2 Titan X generate quite a bit heat. I hope the the OP is aware of that and better has a case with very good airflow or goes full custom water cooling.

... IMHO do yourself a favor and go for an i7 4790K at least you will benefit with DX12 from it by a lot. Or make it right get an i7 5820K on X99 going and get 1 Titan X. That system spec will be way better leveled out.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

DirectX 12 intensifies

Also, i7 might be for someone that look into the future, compressing a movie for example. It something that people do on daily basis. (Handbrake)

im a bit about of touch with tech news this week as I've been busy! and haven't watched the wan show yet if it explains there, but what is the benefit of DX12 and processors?? Does it as i imagine make the workload more spread? so instead of having all the work on one or 2 cores and the last 2 just doing a bit here in there just spread it across all 4 evenly??

if so i think ill be upgrading soon! skylake or broadwell... hmmmmm