Computer Won't Sleep

The Reality

It's driving me crazy to have to shut down my computer several times a day when I'd much prefer to put it to sleep! Whether I hit the keyboard shortcut or actually click on sleep in the start menu, the screen only goes black for a few seconds and brings me back to my windows log in screen as if it actually went to sleep and was woken up, all without the computer ever quieting down.

I've tried cmd commands "powercfg -requests" and "powercfg -lastwake" and both show "none."

Windows 7

What OS are you running and what hardware (motherboard/laptop)

~Jervi - Jervi systems inc.

Join Jervi and leave your virginity at home!

Have you tried sleeping pills?

(I had too)

What OS, motherboard and case?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

i have the problem too i solved it by unplugging my usb sound card out

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
                                                                                      :o 

typically its that either you have Wake-on LAN turned on, or you have a USB device plugged in that isnt sleeping properly and its the wake on USB thats keeping it from sleeping 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

In device manager try disabling "allow this device to wake the computer" under properties for both your network adapter and mouse (sometimes the slightest movement will wake the system); use your keyboard to wake the system (I use spacebar).

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

All of my devices are checked to not wake the computer. By "wake on lan," do you mean my network adapter? If so, that's checked off and seemingly not the problem.

All of my devices are checked to not wake the computer. By "wake on lan," do you mean my network adapter? If so, that's checked off and seemingly not the problem.

Wake on Lan is something that for example Nvidia Shield uses to wake up your PC. There's settings for it in your pc as well as your router, normally.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

Wake on Lan is something that for example Nvidia Shield uses to wake up your PC. There's settings for it in your pc as well as your router, normally.

Where do I find this opetion on my PC? I've looked in my router settings (Linksys WRT160Nv2) and couldn't find such a setting.

I've been having this problem for so long I forgot to mention that it started when I installed a new SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO) with a fresh install of windows 7 to work alongside my hard drive (1TB WD Blue). Sorry for not recalling this earlier :(

Where do I find this opetion on my PC? I've looked in my router settings (Linksys WRT160Nv2) and couldn't find such a setting.

I've been having this problem for so long I forgot to mention that it started when I installed a new SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO) with a fresh install of windows 7 to work alongside my hard drive (1TB WD Blue). Sorry for not recalling this earlier :(

Based on this, have you installed all of your drivers? I don't mean are all devices reported working in device manager, but have you installed device-specific drivers from the manufacturer. The behavior you're describing can be caused by a missing graphics driver. Find out what kind of graphics your laptop uses and install the driver either from the laptop manufacturer or the graphics chip manufacturer and see if this restores sleep functionality.

Cheers!

From the Microsoft site:

To turn power management features on or off
  1. Open Network and Sharing Center (click the Start button, type Network and Sharing in the Start Search box, and press Enter).

2. Click the Change adapter settings link in the upper left of the navigation pane.

3. Right click the network connection you want to enable/disable power management support on and click Properties .

4. Click Configure .

5. On the Power Management tab, check or clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.

• When checked, power management is enabled on the network adapter. 

• When cleared, power management is disabled on the network adapter. 

6. You can enable Wake on LAN for all wake methods or just enable magic packet WoL:

• To enable Wake on LAN for all methods, check the Allow this device to wake the computer check box. 

• To enable Wake on LAN for magic packet only, check the Allow this device to wake the computer check box and then check Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer check box.

clear.gifNote For devices that do not support ARP and NS offloads, Windows will default to wake only on magic packet.

7. Click OK .

Basic guide to CPU's!

Based on this, have you installed all of your drivers? I don't mean are all devices reported working in device manager, but have you installed device-specific drivers from the manufacturer. The behavior you're describing can be caused by a missing graphics driver. Find out what kind of graphics your laptop uses and install the driver either from the laptop manufacturer or the graphics chip manufacturer and see if this restores sleep functionality.

Cheers!

Yeah everything's installed properly to my knowledge. I'm using a desktop with a dedicated graphics card and its driver properly installed.

From the Microsoft site:

To turn power management features on or off
  1. Open Network and Sharing Center (click the Start button, type Network and Sharing in the Start Search box, and press Enter).

2. Click the Change adapter settings link in the upper left of the navigation pane.

3. Right click the network connection you want to enable/disable power management support on and click Properties .

4. Click Configure .

5. On the Power Management tab, check or clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.

• When checked, power management is enabled on the network adapter. 

• When cleared, power management is disabled on the network adapter. 

6. You can enable Wake on LAN for all wake methods or just enable magic packet WoL:

• To enable Wake on LAN for all methods, check the Allow this device to wake the computer check box. 

• To enable Wake on LAN for magic packet only, check the Allow this device to wake the computer check box and then check Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer check box.

clear.gifNote For devices that do not support ARP and NS offloads, Windows will default to wake only on magic packet.

7. Click OK .

No luck :(

Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Powercfg -devicedisablewake "devicename"