2 Different sized ram running in dual channel mode. Working! But Is it safe?

Go to solution Solved by Frankie,

If they run at the same clock and voltage and even timings, it doesn't really matter that they have different sizes. Should be perfectly safe :) 

So I have one 2gb ddr2 Hynix HYMP125U64CP8-S6 AB-C and a 1gb ddr2 RM1GB484CA-53EC running on a ECS 945GCT-m in dual channel. Well, that is what cpu-z says. Both memories are running in 667mhz at a cas timing of 5-5-5-15 (20) at 1.80v. CPU-z is saying that the Hynix memory can run at 667mhz with 5-5-5-15 (20) at 1.80v. Since my MOBO is old, it assume the memory is identical and automatically sets it as dual channel. Is this safe for memory to run like this? Should I switch it out? Because I cannot set the channels to single channel mode unfortunately.

If they run at the same clock and voltage and even timings, it doesn't really matter that they have different sizes. Should be perfectly safe :) 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I personally don't see an issue. I mean, if they're running fine now I don't see why anything wrong that could happen in the future.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Alright thanks! I am still skeptical, but it hasn't shown any problems yet.

Alright thanks! I am still skeptical, but it hasn't shown any problems yet.

No problemo :)

Yep it's fine. I'm running 2 different dual channel kits in quad channel no problem. If you're unsure you can run Memtest86+ for a few passes to check for stability.

Yeah, I second this. MemTest86 is useful.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

If they run different GB, it doesn't really matter. Even when you have different speeds, the only issue with the speeds is the computer will run at the lowest speed, or the speed that is in the first slot. that is when it becomes an issue.

if you have a 2333 Mhz clock speed ram module in DIMM slot 1, it will run all at 2333. but if you have 1 2333Mhz in DIMM slot 1, and a 1600Mhz in DIMM slot 2, it will run VERY unstable at 2333Mhz. this can cause MAJOR problems with your ram and inevitably destroy it.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

It won't ruin anything if that's what you're asking. It won't cause fires, shorts, BSODs, etc.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch