Issue : 800W UPS for 650W Power Supply turning off my system

Hi,

I recently bought a new gaming rig. But since I live in an area with frequent power outages I had a 800VA UPS supporting my system.

My System Config (That consume the power from the 650W PSU):

4790K (Stock Speed) 

GTX 970

1TB 7200RPM HDD

128GB SSD

Now I tried to test my system by plugging the UPS off ... so that the Desktop will take the power from the UPS Directly.

But what's happening is that when I put the GPU under "stress" the desktop turns off automatically.

I Did this multiple times Without the GPU stress i.e. just after boot or doing nothing apart from an opened chrome browser and it didn't restart.

Then, When I ran a Game or Kombustor and removed the UPS's Plug .. it turned off :( .

If I'm just triggering the switch randomly (like On-Off-On) The CPU Restarts .. Like It ran out of power(somehow) and started again when the AC turned on.

I don't know who's at fault here. The UPS or PSU?

Sorry I'm pretty new here .. would be great if you guys could help me with this issue.

Currently: Drooling over the Show off your setup! post.

Hi,

I recently bought a new gaming rig. But since I live in an area with frequent power outages I had a 800VA UPS supporting my system.

My System Config (That consume the power from the 650W PSU):

4790K (Stock Speed) 

GTX 970

1TB 7200RPM HDD

128GB SSD

Now I tried to test my system by plugging the UPS off ... so that the Desktop will take the power from the UPS Directly.

But what's happening is that when I put the GPU under "stress" the desktop turns off automatically.

I Did this multiple times Without the GPU stress i.e. just after boot or doing nothing apart from an opened chrome browser and it didn't restart.

Then, When I ran a Game or Kombustor and removed the UPS's Plug .. it turned off :( .

If I'm just triggering the switch randomly (like On-Off-On) The CPU Restarts .. Like It ran out of power(somehow) and started again when the AC turned on.

I don't know who's at fault here. The UPS or PSU?

Sorry I'm pretty new here .. would be great if you guys could help me with this issue.

what brand is your psu 

and also most ups is rated at VA as far as i know its not the same as watts and if your 800VA psu has power factor of 0.6 its only 480watts

Yeah My bad I tried to edit the title couldn't find the option. Yes its 800VA equals to 480W ... so I guess this isn't enough to power up the desktop when its under load? right?

Yeah My bad I tried to edit the title couldn't find the option. Yes its 800VA equals to 480W ... so I guess this isn't enough to power up the desktop when its under load? right?

well im not sure because i do not own such pc parts but it could well be that your UPS is lower than you need

tell me more\

what exact UPS model it is and if you have a watt meter try mesure how much watts your pc use under stress if you dont have one maby you have a multimeter ? try messuring with it but dont do it please dont if you do not have any experrience with it you could kill yourself. unless you want me to give instructions on how to do it

Not sure if the ups comes charged out of the box. If not did you plug it in for about 24 hours to make sure the battery backup is fully charged? Just a thought.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

Hi, The UPS is actually 1 year old.. sorry didn't mention that ... Only my Rig is new... I have an Update:

I asked the UPS Vendor at Amazon. He said the Watt Rating is 80% of the VA Rating ... so 80% of 800VA is actually 640W ? .. Now I don't know if he's right or not ...

But 640W Should be Enough to power a 970GTX & i7 4790K(stock) under Decent Load ...

Today I encountered a new issue ... I turned off my system after a normal use .. and I tried turning it back on .. and the system actually turned on and immediately turned off .. the fans moved a bit and turned off ... 

So, I moved the Desktop Directly to AC Mains .. and It started running .. again this seems similar to the situation where there is a lack of power in the UPS?

Also I want to ask one more thing ... Is this harming my new system in anyway? I have the UPS in AC Mode always .. So when Im putting the System in load will it harm it because of the underpowered UPS(Thats not in Battery Mode) ... ?

just don't do it

your UPS will load more power than it can hold

vA=/= watt

Simple method is always get UPS doubled VA than your current psu

ex: 1200va for 600w psu

good UPS will died when overload but better prevent than fix it, worse case it could short the wiring and fire your house if you keep insist using it.

Okay, I am not using it anymore ... But can you tell me why the amazon seller said 80% of 800VA (640W) and over here I got to know its 60% of 800VA (480W)

Also 640W should be enough to power this system right? ... 

I will be buying a 1500VA UPS soon... I think that should get rid of all these problems ...