Why I think the next Gen consoles made PC grow

zappian

Disclaimer : This post is not meant to create a flame war , its just my opinion on the subject.

This is not a pc vs console topic honestly , I just felt underwhelmed by the new consoles.
Before you call me a pc elitist I used to own a 360 for 5 years , that was honestly hardware wise a very impressive machine for the time . When it came out in 2005 you coundlt build a better pc for the price with new parts , it was quite impossible.That machine was honestly impressive for the time and 10 years later game are still being released for it.

But when the next gen consoles dropped , especially the xbox one was the worse offender , people started realizing that for 500 bucks you could build a better pc with more power and:

- Get more upgradabilty
-Get more Games
-Not pay for online
-Save tons of money in games trought steam and gog

Consoles have been a good value for a long time , I honestly think for how long it lasted me my xbox 360 was a damn good value . A 250 euro machine that allowed me to play games for 5 years.

But these next gen machines are disapointing for me because of other things like:

-Long lasting connectivity issues:

Hackers have treatead the ps and xbox online services like playthings , and while steam has ocasional server problems they usually arent as prolonged or occur as often. When steam goes down for me i go to origin and play a couple of rounds of BF4.

-Hilariously Low resolution and fps

Watch dogs run at 792p 30 fps on the xbox one , I would not personally pay 400 or 500 dollars to play games at those resolutions . Some games run at decent FPS and resolution and honestly the ps4 is not that big of an offender allowing you to run most games closer to 1080p but this generation leap was still the weakest thus far IMO.

-Paying for online.

Sony joined the fray and now to play online games you also need their premium serviçe , at least they add some bonus things for people that sign up.

-Expensive peripherals.

Pretty self explanatory.

In conclusion I really think these issues with the next gen consoles have made people consider PC more seriously and honestly PC gaming and the pc market is booming like never before and I think this is one of the reasons . PC is a really compelling option now , more compelling than it ever was.

if you factor in OS you cant make a better pc than a ps4 , however this and a cheap copy of win 7 would make a compelling little machine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply ($40.29 @ NCIX US)
Total: $423.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 07:50 EDT-0400

I hate it when people say next gen. It isn't the next gen. It's this gen, current gen. Being new doesn't make it next, it makes it current.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

half of the things u mentioned are also last gen problems not just this gen such as low fps and resolution and expensive peripherals

half of the things u mentioned are last gen problems also not just this gen

True but I think this gen is even less of a value proposition.

Like i said when the xbox 360 came out you coundlt possibly make a better or similar pc for the same price.

This generational leap was really MEH.

We already had these graphics 3-4 years ago on the pc.

Personally i think consoles should be re-balanced, They should get more powerful graphics and less powerful CPU's to get more in line with Gaming Computers, It would benefit Both the game publishers And the gamers.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

With this new gen I just wonder what will the devs do with more room to work with. 

fatcat.gif

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

My only problem with this post is the crap PC build you linked. An Intel Core i3 isn't really going to compete with these new games consoles when games start to use DirectX 12 and Vulkan which will actually make PC Games use more than two cores. I'm waiting on the new AMD APUs, if they get DDR4 and they actually provide a nice new architecture, then we could see £400 to £500 systems which are complete power houses.

Crap pc build?

LOL

For your information an i3 can run every single game out but maybe star citzen at very good fps . I have no idea about the future but after the mantle testing I did with my i3 I think it will only be better,

Do you even own an i3?

I can get 60+ fps on BF4 Multiplayer using mantle...

With this new gen I just wonder what will the devs do with more room to work with. 

Less room to work actually, since they are basically now using low end pretty standard PC grade internals, there is less optimisation that can be done on this current generation compared the last gen

The games coming out are pretty much as optimised as they can be, its possible DX12 might help a small part but.. honestly the parts are just not powerful

@zappian great post, I totally agree, the last generation of consoles were very powerful compared to PC, that has always been the case with consoles, amazing power for games for very little cost, at a time when PC gaming was expensive, and not as advanced as it is now, many years on

The problem now, is that there is such a large gap between the high end pcs, and the consoles that games will either.

A) be gimped for the PC because it has to run on a console or

B) run like shit on console because the dev wants it to look amazing on pc

C) become platform exclusive to either PC or Console, because making the game run on both systems isnt possible or not worth the efford

My only problem with this post is the crap PC build you linked. 

That "CRAP" pc will benefit from DX12 just as much as every other PC and Console will - the fact is an i3 and decent card can play almost every game on high at 60fps at 1080p

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Personally i think consoles should be re-balanced, They should get more powerful graphics and less powerful CPU's to get more in line with Gaming Computers, It would benefit Both the game publishers And the gamers.

The more powerful he GPU gets the more powerful the CPU needs to be so the system would get even more expensive.

My only problem with this post is the crap PC build you linked. An Intel Core i3 isn't really going to compete with these new games consoles when games start to use DirectX 12 and Vulkan which will actually make PC Games use more than two cores. I'm waiting on the new AMD APUs, if they get DDR4 and they actually provide a nice new architecture, then we could see £400 to £500 systems which are complete power houses.

Lol dude with gaming performance the i3 competes very easily even with amd's fx line. It's a pretty decent cpu and often overlooked because people go up a notch for the i5.

Crap pc build?

LOL

For your information an i3 can run every single game out but maybe star citzen at very good fps . I have no idea about the future but after the mantle testing I did with my i3 I think it will only be better,

Do you even own an i3?

I can get 60+ fps on BF4 Multiplayer using mantle...

Well said Zap.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Less room to work actually, since they are basically now using low end pretty standard PC grade internals, there is less optimisation that can be done on this current generation compared the last gen

The games coming out are pretty much as optimised as they can be, its possible DX12 might help a small part but.. honestly the parts are just not powerful

Well I thought because of the new hardware and memory expansions that there would be more resources...

Could atleast the AI on games become better due to more memory and processing power available compared to the last gen?

I think of consoles in this manner:

Xbox Original and PS2 - performed better than more expensive PCs at release

Xbox 360 and PS3 - were about the same as a PC of a similar price (the PS3 though could be used as part of a small supercomputer)

Xbox One and PS4 - WTF? 2 consoles that are practically the same and runs games like shit?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The more powerful he GPU gets the more powerful the CPU needs to be so the system would get even more expensive.

A Gaming PC has a more powerful GPU in relation to the CPU than the consoles.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I think of consoles in this manner:

Xbox Original and PS2 - performed better than more expensive PCs at release

Xbox 360 and PS3 - were about the same as a PC of a similar price (the PS3 though could be used as part of a small supercomputer)

Xbox One and PS4 - WTF? 2 consoles that are practically the same and runs games like shit?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mother-cpu-charts-2005,1175-36.html

Xbox 360 had a tri core in 2005.

By that time most cpus were single/core dual core and the quad cores if any were very expensive.

By the time for the 360 release you coundlt build a pc for the same price AFAIK that matched it,

Why the hell am I always late at posting this

aVZgT.gif

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mother-cpu-charts-2005,1175-36.html

Xbox 360 had a tri core in 2005.

By that time most cpus were single/core dual core and the quad cores if any were very expensive.

By the time for the 360 release you coundlt build a pc for the same price AFAIK that matched it,

That tri core wasn't exactly a standard CPU by design though.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Funny thing is, I have (roughly) that exact PC (I say roughly becuase I have an i3-4150, and the 4GB Version of the Radeon R9 270X from Sapphire). And I LOVE the performance of the thing. All the games run at a buttery smooth 80-100 FPS (I play Valve, EA, Retro, Indie, and some FPS sprinkled in). And since I was wise about where, and what time I bought the parts, it came out to only be about $50-70 more than what the XBox One cost at launch!

=================================================================================

And before you ask, yes I agree with everything you said, and I still think if some one wants to buy a console, they should get an XBox 360, it's the cheapest, with some of the best games, as well as continuing development (it also has the best controller).

Nvidia edition with better psu

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($104.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($32.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro LED 56.2 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($9.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $424.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 08:45 EDT-0400

Imo the only compelling console at this point of time is the wii u. It has the best exclusives and a pretty extensive amount of games and is the cheapest. Imo the ps4 and xbox one try to hard to be like a pc.

Imo the only compelling console at this point of time is the wii u. It has the best exclusives and a pretty extensive amount of games and is the cheapest. Imo the ps4 and xbox one try to hard to be like a pc.

they should just be PCs.

new tech will extend the life of ps4 and xbox one for at least 10 years tho. its just that its closed, limited platform and expensive online, limited, expensive games

they should just be PCs.

new tech will extend the life of ps4 and xbox one for at least 10 years tho. its just that its closed, limited platform and expensive online, limited, expensive games

Yep. This generation of consoles are the least worth it.

PS2 days was the golden age of gaming. I had a lot of great memories with that system. And yeah I agree with you, this generation did not have anything new to offer compared to the previous generation aside from a very slight hardware upgrade. Also it has been more a year since its launch and still no great games that will make you decide to get a console. Also this generation has become more greedy with pay to play online becoming common on both consoles and no backwards compatibility with last gen games (#remasteredrace) plus it is already 2015 and still no native kb+mouse support.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Yep. This generation of consoles are the least worth it.

I didnt mean dx12 btw.

Hint:

guess how many "polys" this tiger is made of :D

tiger.png

Since its not coming to last gen consoles, the new ones are actually worth more in the long run.