Asus Gene Vii BIOS Update

I recently installed ai suite 3 on to my computer to overclock my 4790k and it came up with an update for my bois. I understand updating the bios can not be interrupted and is very fragile process. so i closed everything and let it run. it then restarted my computer and i changed my settings back (xmp ram and changing ahci to raid) only to find out my mass storage drives are corrupt and i lost a heap of information barley about to boot my computer (cuz everything was stored on the hdd's including the documents files). any idea why it would have caused this and made me have to reset my computer for the 5th time since i got my computer two months ago two months (for different reasons).

Specs

SLI 970 Strix

3x 850 pro's ing raid 0 (boot)

2x seagate barracudas raid 0 (mass storage)

I understand raid 0 is risky but i didn't expect an update to kill the raid array.

May I ask you the reason to why you updated the BIOS?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I recently installed ai suite 3 on to my computer to overclock my 4790k and it came up with an update for my bois. I understand updating the bios can not be interrupted and is very fragile process. so i closed everything and let it run. it then restarted my computer and i changed my settings back (xmp ram and changing ahci to raid) only to find out my mass storage drives are corrupt and i lost a heap of information barley about to boot my computer (cuz everything was stored on the hdd's including the documents files). any idea why it would have caused this and made me have to reset my computer for the 5th time since i got my computer two months ago two months (for different reasons).

Specs

SLI 970 Strix

3x 850 pro's ing raid 0 (boot)

2x seagate barracudas raid 0 (mass storage)

I understand raid 0 is risky but i didn't expect an update to kill the raid array.

they are not corrupt, the bios update clears everything, that means the raid array. you'll need to rebuild your raid array.

found this somewhere: "how to update bios if you use Raid 0

step 1: load into bios, reset defaults, save & exit... computer reboots (this will set your hard drive from raid mode to ide mode)

step 2: load back into bios, set primary boot to cd/floppy, insert cd/floppy, save&exit, reboots into the bios flash

step 2 alternative method: while computer loads, press your setup key (mine is esc), this brings you to your boot menu screen, insert your cd/floppy and choose the coressponding boot device, press enter and it boots into the bios flash

step 3: bios is flashed and your reboot computer, remove cd/floppy after it is rebooted

step 4: load into bios, enable raid mode, change boot order so it boots off your raid, save and exit, reboots

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

they are not corrupt, the bios update clears everything, that means the raid array. you'll need to rebuild your raid array.

how do i do that?

how do i do that?

see above.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

found this somewhere: "how to update bios if you use Raid 0

step 1: load into bios, reset defaults, save & exit... computer reboots (this will set your hard drive from raid mode to ide mode)

step 2: load back into bios, set primary boot to cd/floppy, insert cd/floppy, save&exit, reboots into the bios flash

step 2 alternative method: while computer loads, press your setup key (mine is esc), this brings you to your boot menu screen, insert your cd/floppy and choose the coressponding boot device, press enter and it boots into the bios flash

step 3: bios is flashed and your reboot computer, remove cd/floppy after it is rebooted

step 4: load into bios, enable raid mode, change boot order so it boots off your raid, save and exit, reboots

do i have to have anything on the usb or am i booting to a blank drive? and what do it mean the bios is flashed in step 3? also, will doing this wipe my drives or will they be the same as right before I updated the bios?

May I ask you the reason to why you updated the BIOS?

Because it came up with the message to do it and i thought it would be safe and why not.

Because it came up with the message to do it and i thought it would be safe and why not.

If the PC is working perfectly fine then I would always recommend that the BIOS is left alone otherwise problems occure like what you have now. If you had left it alone you wouldn't have this problem and so on :P

Hopefully you'll bare that in mind for the future when new BIOS releases come out ;)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If the PC is working perfectly fine then I would always recommend that the BIOS is left alone otherwise problems occure like what you have now. If you had left it alone you wouldn't have this problem and so on :P

Hopefully you'll bare that in mind for the future when new BIOS releases come out ;)

Well, thats not much help now

Well, thats not much help now

But will be very helpful for the future :P

You are going to have to rebuild your raid unfortuantely. As people are saying, only update the BIOS when you need to, or if you do something that needs it.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/