new graphics card causing problems

XplosiveNoctua99

Hi

I got just got a gtx 960 4GB EVGA SSC

and I tried to install it but the computer won't turn on

just a black screen

II don't know what is wrong

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

what's your PSU wattage?

is the MoBo powering up?

did you connect the PSU pins to the GPU?

did you connect the screen to the new GPU?

system specs?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Hi

just a black screen

is it plugged in with the pci-e power 6 pin 8pin etc

is it in the right pci-e slot?

is the monitor connected to the graphics card?

is the monitor set to the right input?

Yes yes yes and yes

CPU:PhenomII X4 965 BE

gpu: EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB

MOBO:M3A778-EM

850W psu

6gb ddr2

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

is it plugged in with the pci-e power 6 pin 8pin etc

is it in the right pci-e slot?

is the monitor connected to the graphics card?

is the monitor set to the right input?

yes to all

a different gpu works fine?

correct

Is the BIOS Updated to the newest version? Maybe an issue with the BIOS.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

are the 960's fans spinning?

yup

Is the BIOS Updated to the newest version? Maybe an issue with the BIOS.

how do you update bios

how do you update bios

there is no way on earth a bios update is needed to use a gpu

there is no way on earth a bios update is needed to use a gpu

only 2 gb ram is working now

Make that NO ram

Hi

just a black screen

Be sure that dedicated graphics is set to auto in bios. This allows the mobo to choose what the output video should go through

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

it could be well not connected monitor not connected pci power cables and bios choosing integrated over external gpu play with your settings in bios and tell me if it is all good ok

it could be well not connected monitor not connected pci power cables and bios choosing integrated over external gpu play with your settings in bios and tell me if it is all good ok

The redundancy is real... :P last part is exactly what I said.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Make that NO ram

Is no ram of the card working or no ram of the computer working. If you have no ram working on the computer thats the problem not the gpu. 

Is no ram of the card working or no ram of the computer working. If you have no ram working on the computer thats the problem not the gpu.

it is the ram on the pc

but when I went to install the new graphics card nothing would tun on

Also

when I did get the pc to boot

I went to dxdiag

and it said for display

generic pnp monitor

and generic Microsoft display adapter

Make sure the computer will post (turn on and output to the display) without the graphics card. If so, make sure the power connectors are plugged into the card and that the card is properly installed. If it still does not work, then the card is probably defective and you need to contact the seller and get a replacement.

might of bumped the ram while replacing the graphics card or the ram chose a bad time to go bad or something. Remove all but 1 stick and try to boot up. if that doesnt work change which ram stick is in. if at any point it boots with one stick in then you know that you have some bad ram.

You started experiencing RAM issues after the BIOS update, yes?

This is most likely because you've corrupted the GBE region, happens with most older Asus mobos if you haven't updated the BIOS firmware twice (yes, ASUS does specify this in bold within the readme file)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

You started experiencing RAM issues after the BIOS update, yes?

This is most likely because you've corrupted the GBE region, happens with most older Asus mobos if you haven't updated the BIOS firmware twice (yes, ASUS does specify this in bold within the readme file)

I don't know whether i did the bios update  :/