I know that you hate that question But how many case fans do I need?

Go to solution Solved by brob,

Too many case fans can be as bad as not enough. The goal should be good air flow. Given a single gpu with an excellent three fan cooler, bottom mounted psu, and a cpu cooler directing air towards the rear exhaust, there should be no need for additional fans.

I plan to run this setup

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H7MFMp

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H7MFMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($234.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($139.98 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($66.98 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.49 @ Directron) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($61.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($138.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1124.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-26 18:53 EDT-0400

the corsair 200R come with 2 case fans (1x front, 1x back)
For gaming mainly with overclocked cpu how many case fans will I need?

as many as you can fit.

seriously, sometimes i get to the point when i put fans in the case i don't even have mounts for.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Put 100 in.  Then you will be fine. 

Noctua if you can afford it, otherwise search by reviews.

If your a bit more reasonable, put as many as your case allows (has mounts of) and the max size.

By the way, if you aren't interested in overclocking, the Xeon E3-1231 V3 is the best CPU out there at the price of that i5 (+$25)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

I have 8 case fans, all static pressure. 5in/3out for Positive Pressure.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

for a mid tower like maby 3 or 4

2x 120 in the front pulling air in

1x 120 in the back pusshing air out

and maby like 1x140 at the top helping pull air out

IAN :o

... TBH, I never think that additional case fan is needed for a normal ATX build... mine have a H100i doing outtake along with one on the back that come with the case, and 1 big intake at the front that also come with the case and that's all. My temp is always around 50-60 C for my CPU and 80 at load on my Reference Cooler GTX 780, so I never really have any need for additional fan.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I go with the personal preference route in ATX builds.. I prefer low RPM so I use lots of large fans. Other people prefer maximum cooling and have to sacrifice a bit of silence for it, which can be solved with high end fans.

If you can run burn in tests on stuff like furmark without hitting the thermal ceiling of your CPU/GPU then you have enough, but odds are you won't reach that level without water cooling so my answer is as many fans as you can fit! :P

The better question is what components can you improve to dissipate heat quicker! Airflow is nice, but it's only useful if your heatsinks can remove heat fast enough to effectively use that air.

Example: You can have a ton of airflow, but with no thermal grease between the heatsink and your chip you will still have poor cooling. (I know that's extreme)

... TBH, I never think that additional case fan is needed for a normal ATX build... mine have a H100i doing outtake along with one on the back that come with the case, and 1 big intake at the front that also come with the case and that's all. My temp is always around 50-60 C for my CPU and 80 at load on my Reference Cooler GTX 780, so I never really have any need for additional fan.

Afraid to admit it, but i am kind of in the same boat.

I know people stick fans all over the place, but i don't see the point for a normal PC build. Even with slight overclocking my PC is running at <60 C. Why put in more moving parts? They only make noise (even the most silent ones make more noise then having none).

Yes, cooling is a good way to get those crazy overclocks going. But cooling is not like plugging in a GPU. You don't get more if you plug in more. Cool enough is cool enough. Going cooler then cool enough does not help you at all.

Feel free to disagree if i am wrong here. I will gladly accept advice that points out why going cooler then cool enough is helpful. May miss the obvious, i often do ;)

The biggest reason I suggest filling the open spots is for more airflow In the case.

This can help with dust visually showing on your parts as a side bonus.

Just because your temps are running cool on a CPU or GPU doens't mean more fans isn't going to help, some cases where the fans are controlled by case temp could mean more fans would make it quieter as they don't have to spin as fast to keep the temps down same theory as 120mm vs 140mm, more flow per rpm = less noise.

Another reason is if your system is running great and you want to add LED fans you can "hide the existing and put the LED fans where they would be most effective and gain the above bonuses.

This is just my opinion and it makes sense to me.

Too many case fans can be as bad as not enough. The goal should be good air flow. Given a single gpu with an excellent three fan cooler, bottom mounted psu, and a cpu cooler directing air towards the rear exhaust, there should be no need for additional fans.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Yeah I don't mean adding fans that are in spots where they weren't designed to be placed.