Need help with dt880's

Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of DT880's 600ohms and am currently using a Fiio E18 to power them.

Obviously not supposed to be using an E18 to power them but if i have the bass switch off i barely get any bass out of my DT880's and was wondering how much would change if i got a proper amp/dac solution (currently looking at dac+amp solution from mayflower electronics).

Does anyone here have an E18 and a mayflower amp+dac combo who could share their experience with me? (long shot I know)  

or should i just accept the fact the DT880's are just not bassy and should get an amp and some form of digital solution for my bass issues?

Using more amplification will not change the amount of bass. The DT 880s do not have any bass boost whatsoever, so you should return them and get a headphone that you'll actually like.

What about the overall sound (beside the bass)? It's because the impedance you got is quite high, 600 ohms. Normally this wouldn't be a problem (it's the sensitivity that's the problem), but 600 ohms might be a bit too much for portable amps. Portable amps usually don't have too high voltage swings

What about the overall sound (beside the bass)? It's because the impedance you got is quite high, 600 ohms. Normally this wouldn't be a problem (it's the sensitivity that's the problem), but 600 ohms might be a bit too much for portable amps. Portable amps usually don't have too high voltage swings

Well my old headset was a PC363D (PC360's) and im finding it hard to believe that the DT880's wouldn't have a smiliar amount of bass, if not more, but they have been fairly sharp, the only example i can really explain well is when playing CSGO, when i pull out a standard knife, it is an incredibly sharp sound and hurt my ears. If i use the song below as an example the vocals are there, but the bass almost feels non existent. 

Well my old headset was a PC363D (PC360's) and im finding it hard to believe that the DT880's wouldn't have a smiliar amount of bass, if not more

As I said, DT 880 does not have boosted bass; they are flat below 1000Hz and gently rolled off below 100Hz. It is entirely possible and even likely that they have less bass than a closed-back gaming headset. They also have a lot of treble, thus the "sharp" sound you describe.

Again, this will not change with a "better" amp. Either use the bass boost, software EQ, or return/sell them for a headphone that better suits your taste.

As I said, DT 880 does not have boosted bass; they are flat below 1000Hz and gently rolled off below 100Hz. It is entirely possible and even likely that they have less bass than a closed-back gaming headset. They also have a lot of treble, thus the "sharp" sound you describe.

Again, this will not change with a "better" amp. Either use the bass boost, software EQ, or return/sell them for a headphone that better suits your taste.

I may send them back or just get use to them, they sound very nice but i am dissapointed. I did do a fair bit of research between the DT880's and DT990's and was afraid of the DT990's bass being too over bearing, i'm not asking for much for bass, just a bit of oomph like i got from my PC360's.

If you're still curious (curiosity's a bitch, I know), take the headphone and your phone/music player to an audio store that carries headphone amps. Tell them you might be looking for new amps, and try their amps. Try both portables and desktops. Amps with their own AC powered PSU are usually called desktops. Desktops are generally much more powerful than portables, in trade-off with the portability and mobility.

That way you can know for sure, if it's actually the sound signature, or it really needs a new amp. 

If you're still curious (curiosity's a bitch, I know), take the headphone and your phone/music player to an audio store that carries headphone amps. Tell them you might be looking for new amps, and try their amps. Try both portables and desktops. Amps with their own AC powered PSU are usually called desktops. Desktops are generally much more powerful than portables, in trade-off with the portability and mobility.

That way you can know for sure, if it's actually the sound signature, or it really needs a new amp. 

I will try, but theres a lack of audio shops where i live, will probably have to go over to the next town.

Well my old headset was a PC363D (PC360's) and im finding it hard to believe that the DT880's wouldn't have a smiliar amount of bass, if not more, but they have been fairly sharp, the only example i can really explain well is when playing CSGO, when i pull out a standard knife, it is an incredibly sharp sound and hurt my ears. If i use the song below as an example the vocals are there, but the bass almost feels non existent. 

I may send them back or just get use to them, they sound very nice but i am dissapointed. I did do a fair bit of research between the DT880's and DT990's and was afraid of the DT990's bass being too over bearing, i'm not asking for much for bass, just a bit of oomph like i got from my PC360's.

Beyerdynamic's have a treble spike, and treble-sensitive people will dislike them due to this "sharp sound" they have. I'm treble sensitive too, and couldn't handle the 990 even with all that bass they have. 

a3d5df06b3.png

Beyerdynamic's have a treble spike, and treble-sensitive people will dislike them due to this "sharp sound" they have. I'm treble sensitive too, and couldn't handle the 990 even with all that bass they have. 

I've decided to return my DT880's after listening to them for a few hours for this reason. This was a learning experience for me and i thank you all for contributing, but now i'm going to have to find a new pair of headphones, i may look at a higher end pair of sennheisers or a pair of AKG's. Recommendations would be appreciated.

now i'm going to have to find a new pair of headphones ... Recommendations would be appreciated.

What budget are you working with?

What budget are you working with?

Well my DT880's were manufakturs and they cost about £220 in total, so around that price bracket, maybe willing to stretch a bit more.

Well my DT880's were manufakturs and they cost about £220 in total, so around that price bracket, maybe willing to stretch a bit more.

I like SSL's Fidelio X2 recommendation. Sennheiser HD 650 is an option for slightly more than what you paid for the 880, but might be darker than you're wanting.

Open AKG's aren't known for their bass response, so just put them out of your mind.

Phillips Fidelio X2 perhaps?

I like SSL's Fidelio X2 recommendation. Sennheiser HD 650 is an option for slightly more than what you paid for the 880, but might be darker than you're wanting.

Open AKG's aren't known for their bass response, so just put them out of your mind.

They do look tempting, been reading reviews and such for the past couple of hours and my only concerns are whether or not they would be comfy with my big head and ears, and a slight concern over it possibly being too bassy although after listening to the dt880's i'd probably live with it. I will do some research into the sennheisers tomorrow. Thank you again for your help.

They do look tempting, been reading reviews and such for the past couple of hours and my only concerns are whether or not they would be comfy with my big head and ears, and a slight concern over it possibly being too bassy although after listening to the dt880's i'd probably live with it. I will do some research into the sennheisers tomorrow. Thank you again for your help.

If you think the DT 880 has nonexistent bass, the X2 will definitely not have too much.

X2 is nice. It's the kind of headphone that you'd think, 'I can't believe this is made by Philips'. Build wise, I think it's a little stepdown, because I think the DT line got metal parts, while the X2 is plastic, if I remember correctly.

Planars like HE400 is also nice, if you don't mind the weight. Comfortable wise it's not very good, because of the weight, and the clamping force (can be dealt with by stretching the metal band). Sound wise, it's very good, for the price. 

Just get the x2, since I'm on a hunt for K7xx, I dont need more competitor

To be fair, X2 is praised as a good bass open headphone. Should actually be a good replacement.
P.S. I know that OP sold his 880's already, but as an owner of 32 Ohm version, i can say that bass is definitely a problem, but it is more due to the open design than anything else. Want bass, but like beyers? Just buy dt 770.

bass is definitely a problem, but it is more due to the open design than anything else. 

Then why is the open-backed DT990 very bassy?

Then why is the open-backed DT990 very bassy?

Mostly upper bass and low mids. Still that free-air rolloff.