Former Tesla Intern Releases $60 Full Open Source Car Hacking Kit For The Masses

Screen-Shot-2015-03-24-at-16.37.20.png

A hacking kit for your car. This is certainly interesting, usually this level of car hacking requires far more pricey tools and software to break through the CAN that cars make use of but this solution exists for those who are more interested in seeing what their cars are up to. 

Also a little scary. Even modern cars aren't safe from this kind of attack, so user beware? 

Eric Evenchick knows what it’s like to be at the mercy of modes of transport. That might be why the former Tesla intern is so keen to hack his way to gaining greater control over the vehicles he travels in. When we speak over encrypted call app RedPhone, he’s stuck in Hong Kong airport waiting for a delayed flight to Singapore, where he’ll announce the open sourcing of the CANard tool during the BlackHat Asia conference.

His code will make it cheaper and easier than ever before for tinkerers to get to the innards of their connected cars to determine if there are any useful tweaks they can make, or any worrisome security vulnerabilities that more malicious hackers could exploit. Evenchick is hopeful CANard, based on the widely-used and much-loved Python language, will have a greater impact on the car industry in general. It should allow security researchers of all ilks to easily probe cars for weaknesses, which, Evenchick hopes, will get them to take vehicle hacking more seriously.

His own tinkering with the code has turned CANard into a more powerful tool in recent weeks. In particular, it now has the ability to carry out proper diagnostics over the Controller Area Network (CAN), the network-on-wheels found in almost all modern automobiles to send data around the vehicle, he tells FORBES. This means anyone who knows or learns Python (it’s a good language for newcomers to coding) can start to probe what functions can be accessed using their computer, whether they run an Apple AAPL +0.88% Mac, Microsoft MSFT +0.16% Windows or Linux PC. They’ll also need to buy some associated hardware to connect laptops to the diagnostics, or OBD2, port, which Evenchick has also produced. He’ll be shipping CANtact, a CAN to USB interface for the low, low price of $59.95 (USB and OBD2 cable not included). There will only be 100 available in the first batch, but the hardware is open source too, meaning it’s easily replicable and even cheaper for those with the right skills.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/03/25/hack-a-car-for-60-dollars/

Auto color please.Thank you.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

This is kinda awesome/fucked up

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Hopefully this will shake them up and they will improve their security...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Welp, never buying an electric car now

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I don't know why people are worried about this sort of thing. In order to use this they need access to the inside of your car, at which point they can do far more nefarious things. Heck, you don't even need access to the inside of the car to cut the break line or plant a bomb. I just don't understand the hysteria with this sort of technology.

Every car that have computer can get hacked, not only electric, so that's every modern car and data about hacking can even be erased.

https://youtu.be/tNPXoydz_zQ?t=266

Then I'll only buy low end or old cars.

A computer, sure, being hacked can mess up my day but it's not the end of the world. I could die if my car messed up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Auto color please.Thank you.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/193630-complete-list-of-forum-addons-scripts-apps-etc/

"Dark Theme Fixer". Please install this add-on.

Anyway back on topic, for car tinkerers, this is great news, since it reduces the cost of getting into this kind of hobby.

However, people need to be incredibly careful with what changes they make, lest they accidentally disable or break some safety feature that may one day be the difference between them living or dying (or having, and not having an accident).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/193630-complete-list-of-forum-addons-scripts-apps-etc/

"Dark Theme Fixer". Please install this add-on.

Anyway back on topic, for car tinkerers, this is great news, since it reduces the cost of getting into this kind of hobby.

However, people need to be incredibly careful with what changes they make, lest they accidentally disable or break some safety feature that may one day be the difference between them living or dying (or having, and not having an accident).

Still, not even everyone uses it ;)

Still, not even everyone uses it ;)

Yeah... but they should use it. If everyone who had the Dark Theme used the "Dark Theme Fixer" add-on, then no one would ever complain "fix your colour!" which is annoying and off-topic to the vast majority who use the default day theme.

Just sayin ;)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah... but they should use it. If everyone who had the Dark Theme used the "Dark Theme Fixer" add-on, then no one would ever complain "fix your colour!" which is annoying and off-topic to the vast majority who use the default day theme.

Just sayin ;)

I know, I'm sorry :lol:

I don't know why people are worried about this sort of thing. In order to use this they need access to the inside of your car, at which point they can do far more nefarious things. Heck, you don't even need access to the inside of the car to cut the break line or plant a bomb. I just don't understand the hysteria with this sort of technology.

What hysteria?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.