Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Someone told me it's a bad idea when I asked, idk why though

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I have a 750w inside and a 600w laying around and I need more power than 750w if I wanna cfx 2 290x's, fancy psu's are expensive, is this ok? Probably not elegant, but yea!

please don't go running 2x 290x's with that cpu...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

^ THis. I would go any higher than a 280 with that CPU

As long as you're not paying the powerbill yourself I don't see why you couldn't 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

I got ninja'd...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Seriously upgrade your CPU first, a Athlon X4 760k would bottleneck 2xR9 290's

I have a 750w inside and a 600w laying around and I need more power than 750w if I wanna cfx 2 290x's, fancy psu's are expensive, is this ok? Probably not elegant, but yea!

if you want to use that CPU you need to jump it off or short circuit it with a paper clip. ghetto and dangerous, but screw it, go for it.

or check this out:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/91808-add2psu-how-to-combine-multiple-power-supplies-in-a-single-computer

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

uggghhh but then I'd have to upgrade my mobo

that's so0o0o0o much work

i guess there's no getting around it huh

i've hit fm2+'s limits

i know that feel, i'm pushing AM3+ limits with my fx9590. it isn't bottlenecking except on multithread-optimized applications. when ddr4 gets cheap i'm going to swap to intel since AMD isn't making CPUs anymore and only seems interested in APUs

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

uggghhh but then I'd have to upgrade my mobo

that's so0o0o0o much work

i guess there's no getting around it huh

i've hit fm2+'s limits

I'd say you've hit the FM2+ Limits along time ago. If your gonna upgrade go for a FX-8350 and a FM3+ Motherboard

Dangerous to me, or to my hardware? I am okay with the first one.

both. like i'm not supersitious or anything but jabbing paperclips in high wattage devices to get them to work isn't a great plan for you, or your house.

your hardware should be fine, if it doesn't get lost in the house fire caused by the paperclip. be safe and spend 20 bucks on that thing i linked.

you can do anything you want to do with an idea and a dremel.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

If you are doing that, the secondary PSU will only be outputting 12v via the 6/8-pin PEG connector. Meaning there's no load on the 3.3/5v rail, and as such you will be putting the PSU in a severe cross load scenario. A Sapphire 290x Tri-X had shown a 282wDC power draw  peak under gaming load: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_290X_Tri-X_OC/22.html

That's about ~564wDC being pull from the secondary PSU (technically, lower, as some of that will be pull from the PCIe slot that the primary PSU is supplying, but the secondary PSU will still be supplying the majority of that). Putting such a load on certain PSUs can cause the voltages of the 12v to behave very erratically which can lead to stability issues and greater wear and tear on your GPU.

Your CX750M would handle that sort of load just fine, as it is an indy regulated PSU via DC-DC; however, the same can't be said for the "600w" unit that we know nothing about.