What is a smart switch used for?

BrandonTheCat

Ive been all around the webs, and I still have no clue onto what this actually does. So in a simplified explanation, what does it do? Does a NAS User need it?

Ive been all around the webs, and I still have no clue onto what this actually does. So in a simplified explanation, what does it do? Does a NAS User need it?

SNIP ignore this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A smart watch, is a watch that connects to a smartphone (and other devices wuch as tablets, pcs and smart tvs) and runns different applications

From health monitoring, controlling your music and cameras, looking at photos, gps maps, contolling your heating, paying for products in stores etc etc etc

They can do anything that anyone programs it to do

He said switch not watch.

Hi

A smart switch gives some managability options, the swiches you are used to that are plug and play are considard as "dumb" becasue all they do is switch data and nothing else.

Smart switches give you options such as VLAN support (having multiple Lan connections go over one cable)  QOS features, some do port mirroring, SNMP monitoring and other features.

Then you get to managed switches. So a bit like the smart switches but genraly have even more features and use CLI for configuration allthough some do have web panels to manage their features.

In your case your talking about connectiong your NAS to one. In short you dont need to unless you needed options as above on your switch.

Hi

A smart switch gives some managability options, the swiches you are used to that are plug and play are considard as "dumb" becasue all they do is switch data and nothing else.

Smart switches give you options such as VLAN support (having multiple Lan connections go over one cable)  QOS features, some do port mirroring, SNMP monitoring and other features.

Then you get to managed switches. So a bit like the smart switches but genraly have even more features and use CLI for configuration allthough some do have web panels to manage their features.

In your case your talking about connectiong your NAS to one. In short you dont need to unless you needed options as above on your switch.

He's right about this.  I would suggest you go with an unmanaged switch as it's plug and play.  There is a learning curve to managed switches and might be overkill for your NAS setup. 

If you want complete control over the data passing through the switch, get a managed version, else, get unmanaged.  Your NAS doesn't care what type of switch you use as long as the switch sends and receives data. 

-The Sausage King of Chicago

He's right about this.  I would suggest you go with an unmanaged switch as it's plug and play.  There is a learning curve to managed switches and might be overkill for your NAS setup. 

If you want complete control over the data passing through the switch, get a managed version, else, get unmanaged.  Your NAS doesn't care what type of switch you use as long as the switch sends and receives data. 

Hi abefroman & BrandonTheCat,

Using smart switches is actually quiet easy compared to non-smart manageable switches. Smart Switches were designed to be implemented in an Office environment, where end users can access a GUI to modify settings easily rather then using Telnet. There is a huge difference between a " Smart Switch " and a " Managed Switch ". 

Depending on what sort of NAS your trying to implement will depend on what sort of switch you will need to implement. 

I'm happy to help off post if need be.

Enjoy.

SNIP ignore this

gg wp  :P

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

gg wp  :P

shh :'(

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii