VERY Low profile RAM (DDR3)

Go to solution Solved by NeverNotExhausted,

Theres that crucial stuff that's the same size as the super low profile ECC stuff, I'm pretty sure samsung do some as well without a heat spreader 

http://www.crucial.com/csrusa/en/bls2k8g3d1609es2lx0

Morning/Evening/Afternoon depending on where you reside.

I'm wondering if there are any REALLY low profile RAM sticks around in DDR3.  I know that some of the ECC server grade stuff I use at work is silly low profile like almost flush with the DIMM slot.

I'm currently running a H100i in the Corsair 200R case, which isn't very good on clearance levels to the point I've had to butcher the fan to get it in along with the RAM.

I did ask in my build thread but I'm impatient so yeah, any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Pictures of what I'm talking about can be found here: CLICKY!

@welshname

Kingston Hyper X fury's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104446

but your mushkins are pretty low profile already. The reason you're probably having this problem is that the 200R isn't compatible with a 240mm rad at the top

edit: yep confirmed it. check the tech specs tab of this http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-200r-compact-atx-case

it only has 120mm coolers not 240mm

more edit: note that, you can mount a 240 at the top but the h100i isn't compatible.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

To be honest, you could just take off the heatsink from the RAM you have and you've got pretty much the lowest profile you can have. RAM doesn't really need any cooling if you're not playing with the voltage, so it will work fine without the heatspreader. 

Theres that crucial stuff that's the same size as the super low profile ECC stuff, I'm pretty sure samsung do some as well without a heat spreader 

http://www.crucial.com/csrusa/en/bls2k8g3d1609es2lx0

I knew someone would know.  Cheers dude.

@welshname

Kingston Hyper X fury's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104446

but your mushkins are pretty low profile already. The reason you're probably having this problem is that the 200R isn't compatible with a 240mm rad at the top

edit: yep confirmed it check the tech specs tab of this http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-200r-compact-atx-case

Well the low profile ram above will do it, that's what I was talking about when I said low profile, server grade stuff for 1U is TINY and that will be perfect.

To be honest, you could just take off the heatsink from the RAM you have and you've got pretty much the lowest profile you can have. RAM doesn't really need any cooling if you're not playing with the voltage, so it will work fine without the heatspreader. 

Yeah the heatspreader isn't any higher than the actual PCB tbh.  So it wouldn't achieve anything.

@welshname

more edit: note that, you can mount a 240 at the top but the h100i isn't compatible.

Was going to say I HAVE it mounted lol.  It just isn't a great fit.

Looks like I'll be ordering some of the crucial RAM and probably a replacement fan for the one I hacked at because it'll annoy me knowing it's still hacked and not needed to be anymore!

Your case doesn't support mounting a dual rad in the top like that,. Uhhh, what you can do, although this is pure ghetto time.

Take the rad out, and pull the hoses off of the rad while holding it over a bucket, the adhesive will give, it just takes some force. Pull the hoses through the water cooling cut outs in the back, and then pull them around to the top of the case, where you will reconnect the hoses to the rad with zipties. Then mount the rad to the outside of the case, with the fans on the inside setup as an intake, pulling air through the rad.  

I cannot honestly tell you to do this. Get a new case and you dont have these issues, but if you WANT to not have clearance issues you can do as posted above, however, I give no assurance this will work perfectly, and that the hoses will stay as solid attached as before. OH make sure to pour the coolant back into the rad before you tie down the hoses again.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

What RAM do you have ATM?

Because a new case might come out cheaper... IDK

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Your case doesn't support mounting a dual rad in the top like that,. Uhhh, what you can do, although this is pure ghetto time.

Take the rad out, and pull the hoses off of the rad while holding it over a bucket, the adhesive will give, it just takes some force. Pull the hoses through the water cooling cut outs in the back, and then pull them around to the top of the case, where you will reconnect the hoses to the rad with zipties. Then mount the rad to the outside of the case, with the fans on the inside setup as an intake, pulling air through the rad.  

I cannot honestly tell you to do this. Get a new case and you dont have these issues, but if you WANT to not have clearance issues you can do as posted above, however, I give no assurance this will work perfectly, and that the hoses will stay as solid attached as before. OH make sure to pour the coolant back into the rad before you tie down the hoses again.

That is hilariously pikey (if you're not from the UK it's the UK equivalent of ghetto), BUT if you'd read the rest of the thread you'd see I DO have the fan mounted correctly and it does fit, if I had lower profile memory.

What RAM do you have ATM?

Because a new case might come out cheaper... IDK

I only have 8GB at the minute and I'm upgrading to 16GB anyway so would be spending money on RAM regardless.  I just wanted to see if I could get lower profile RAM rather than have to buy a new case and RAM because I went for the 200R purely because of the space limitations where the PC is.

That is hilariously pikey (if you're not from the UK it's the UK equivalent of ghetto), BUT if you'd read the rest of the thread you'd see I DO have the fan mounted correctly and it does fit, if I had lower profile memory.

Did read it, you said you mangled the aio to get the fan in there" which had led me to believe you had cut the side of your fan or something. Although, all you can really do then is just take the heatsink off to get the ram as it's not really required. Other than that, there isnt much you can do.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Take pics and show us

Pics are in the thread I linked dude.

I've already got the answer I wanted from this thread though which is that you can get ultra low profile DIMMs like you can in server grade equipment.  People don't seem to realise that you CAN mount the H100i with ultra low profile RAM in the 200R case with literally zero issues.  Which I think is quite a good thing for someone building a budget rig as the case other than the cable management space is brilliant considering the price of it.

@welshname

Kingston Hyper X fury's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104446

edit: yep confirmed it. check the tech specs tab of this http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-200r-compact-atx-case

Those are standard size ram, not low profile. Low profile ram are half height than those hyper x fury. Those stupid marketing are confusing a lot of you guys.

Besides that crucial ballistix sport, there is also crucial ballistix tactical lp and kingston make low profile as well but currently limited to their value line up.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP owner here; Ram barely clears the locking mechanism. Was pleasantly surprised when it arrived as a combo with my motherboard. Good stuff, too. Just bought another set for a customer's build. 

Pics are in the thread I linked dude.

I've already got the answer I wanted from this thread though which is that you can get ultra low profile DIMMs like you can in server grade equipment.  People don't seem to realise that you CAN mount the H100i with ultra low profile RAM in the 200R case with literally zero issues.  Which I think is quite a good thing for someone building a budget rig as the case other than the cable management space is brilliant considering the price of it.

What I meant was side pics

Oh shoot! Was that offensive! (I don't care).

Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP owner here; Ram barely clears the locking mechanism. Was pleasantly surprised when it arrived as a combo with my motherboard. Good stuff, too. Just bought another set for a customer's build. 

Good to hear from someone with the RAM I'm looking for

Going to order it on payday because I've spent far too much this month.  Not long to wait!

Good to hear from someone with the RAM I'm looking for

Going to order it on payday because I've spent far too much this month. Not long to wait!

It's good stuff, man! Not a single problem from my side. I can even toss you an image of what it looks paired up next to a Hyper 212. If you have any interest, that is. If not, enjoy the memory. :3

It's good stuff, man! Not a single problem from my side. I can even toss you an image of what it looks paired up next to a Hyper 212. If you have any interest, that is. If not, enjoy the memory. :3

I kind of want to see it actually. The vlp's look no bigger than a finger when against a white background.

Current build: Konata-ROG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, 4.4GHz @ 1.2V | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Cooler: H80i GT with 2x Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130| SSD: AData SP550 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 750GB 2.5; WD Blue SSHD 1TB 2.5; WD Red 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x8GB DDR3-1866 | VGA: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X | PSU: Silverstone SX600-L

Current build: Konata-HTPC

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (currently at stock) | Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 | Cooler: Silverstone AR-06 | Case: Silverstone GD10 | SSD: AData SX900 256GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 2X4GB DDR3-1600, Kingston HyperX 2-4GB DDR3-1600 | VGA: MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III | LG Blu-Ray PSU: XFX TS 750W

http://i.imgur.com/p5R2XQR.jpg

It isn't the best picture, but there's a stick of the VLP lined up next to my Cruzer Switch Flash-Drive. Which, if you're not too familiar, is pretty smaller in height than a US Quarter. 

I kind of want to see it actually. The vlp's look no bigger than a finger when against a white background.

Previous post, forgot to quote ya' 

Previous post, forgot to quote ya' 

Oh wow, that thing is tiny. It's not even that much more expensive than normal ram either! http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148661

Current build: Konata-ROG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, 4.4GHz @ 1.2V | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Cooler: H80i GT with 2x Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130| SSD: AData SP550 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 750GB 2.5; WD Blue SSHD 1TB 2.5; WD Red 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x8GB DDR3-1866 | VGA: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X | PSU: Silverstone SX600-L

Current build: Konata-HTPC

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (currently at stock) | Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 | Cooler: Silverstone AR-06 | Case: Silverstone GD10 | SSD: AData SX900 256GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 2X4GB DDR3-1600, Kingston HyperX 2-4GB DDR3-1600 | VGA: MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III | LG Blu-Ray PSU: XFX TS 750W

http://i.imgur.com/p5R2XQR.jpg

It isn't the best picture, but there's a stick of the VLP lined up next to my Cruzer Switch Flash-Drive. Which, if you're not too familiar, is pretty smaller in height than a US Quarter.

That looks perfect. I might just order it today now, along with a replacement fan!

I'm just glad that no one thinks you can fit the h100i in a 200R. Always nice to prove people wrong.

That looks perfect. I might just order it today now, along with a replacement fan!

I'm just glad that no one thinks you can fit the h100i in a 200R. Always nice to prove people wrong.

Hey! I have a 200R as well. I run a Hyper 212, but am considering doing some upgrading this year all around, possibly to AIO Watercooling, and other minor things. 

What's your experience with the H100i in the 200R?

And yeah! They're really small. Trust me. Like I said however, great memory. 

Hey! I have a 200R as well. I run a Hyper 212, but am considering doing some upgrading this year all around, possibly to AIO Watercooling, and other minor things. 

What's your experience with the H100i in the 200R?

And yeah! They're really small. Trust me. Like I said however, great memory. 

It fits spot on, like no issues what so over.  It mounts to the slightly off center holes in the top of the case.  the only issues is with fans fouling the RAM.  BUT now that I'll be using the VLP RAM I'll have no issues.

Like I said, with the VLP RAM you're going to have zero issues.  Only thing I've not tried is running the fans in pull rather than push on the rad.  e.g. putting the fans against the case and the rad below it.  As the rad is slightly wider I don't know if that would cause issues.

If you take a look in my build thread tomorrow I'll have updated it and I'll try and mount it in pull rather than push and see how I get on.