New Case or New Fans?

Hieb

Hello,

I'm currently using a Fractal Design Core 3500W with the stock fans (3x 140mm Fractal "silent" R2 fans)... problem is they're not very silent. The case vibrates (since it uses really thin metal) when the fans are going, and the top exhaust fan in particular emits a noticeable buzzing sound, even on the low speed setting. They all sound like they're slightly off-balance, listening cloesly it sounds like they're wobbling a bit. They're screwed in partially, I can't screw them in all the way since the screws just keep turning endlessly... not sure if this is normal, means the case is too thin, or means the fans are messed up. One of the screws in the top fan will screw in all the way and actually get tight (to the point where I can no longer tighten it down), while pretty much every other one will just keep "tightening" endlessly.

I think the vibration of the case is the biggest problem (since if I lean on my desk it gets a lot louder, but then if I touch the side of my case it stops), but I'm not 100% sure if perhaps better fans that have quieter motors and better mounting hardware might reduce the vibration as well.

So... silence is really important to me, so I'm wondering if I should look into replacing the fans with either Corsair AF140 or be quiet 140mm fans, or if I should get a new case with thicker panels that are less likely to have vibration? And if the latter, what cases are really good when it comes to sound? I'd be interested in a mid-tower with a window... preferably in the neighbourhood of 450x500x220, I really don't want a tower that's well over 500 tall & deep.

Cheers

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Maybe try adding some anti-vibration washers between the fan and the case?

They can be picked up for dirt cheap and might solve your problem.

Maybe try adding some anti-vibration washers between the fan and the case?

They can be picked up for dirt cheap and might solve your problem.

It seems the vibration comes largely from the fan blades on Fractal's fans: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arc-midi-r2-case-review,3562-11.html

Problem is with the Core 3500 the metal is also super thin... so I'm just wondering whether I should get just new fans for the 3500 or just get a whole new sound-optimized case...

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

SilentPCReview reviewed the R2 fans as being quiet - although vibration was an issue at higher RPM.

I would suggest buying some rubber mounts from Noctua, the Noctua Noctua NA-SAV2, before thinking of changing fans. They're re-usable, so it's a worthwhile investment.

Otherwise, the Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 is currently going for $90 at NCIX. It comes with 3 high quality fans with rubber washers.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-silent-base-800-b3-100274-1883.htm

If the washers fail, rubber o rings should also work. Over $30 on fans, save for a new case. Get one you will use for more than one build.

I'd say new case, but I have a bias against fractal (dey ugly), new fans seems like a good idea.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

SilentPCReview reviewed the R2 fans as being quiet - although vibration was an issue at higher RPM.

I would suggest buying some rubber mounts from Noctua, the Noctua Noctua NA-SAV2, before thinking of changing fans. They're re-usable, so it's a worthwhile investment.

Otherwise, the Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 is currently going for $90 at NCIX. It comes with 3 high quality fans with rubber washers.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/be-quiet-silent-base-800-b3-100274-1883.htm

Actually yeah I think I might get that... I always really wanted it but was turned off because I apparently looked at package dimensions instead of case dimensions... thought these were the dimensions of the case: 651 x 305 x 572  xD

Alright looks like I'm getting a new case :D although reviews on the interwebs are giving mixed results... some have it doing very well in the CPU temp department while others have it doing very poorly (like 10C over stuff like Fractal Core 3300). ill have to look into it more but I'm very interested...

I might wait for a windowed version. be quiet! said it'd release within a few months.

Actually yeah I think I might get that... I always really wanted it but was turned off because I apparently looked at package dimensions instead of case dimensions... thought these were the dimensions of the case: 651 x 305 x 572  xD

Alright looks like I'm getting a new case :D although reviews on the interwebs are giving mixed results... some have it doing very well in the CPU temp department while others have it doing very poorly (like 10C over stuff like Fractal Core 3300). ill have to look into it more but I'm very interested...

I might wait for a windowed version. be quiet! said it'd release within a few months.

The Be Quiet! is an excellent case, especially when you factor in the cost of the included fans. One thing I like about is is that you can add top fans without sacrificing silence because it has a top cover. In the Define R4/R5, the top of the case will leak a lot of noise out. The mixed review stem from the fact that the case is not as customizable as the R5 and its support for a front 240 mm rad is bad, but if you know exactly what kind of build you'll have then it's a moot point.

Linus has made a video with the Be Quiet! in his silent build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZrWqCT7R0&ab_channel=LinusTechTips

The Define R4 is going for $85 too, if you prefer. You get 1 less case fan and no rubber washers. This might lead to the same vibration problem once again, but the R4 should have thicker steel than your current case.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/fractal-design-define-r4-atx-42-75044-1883.htm

The Be Quiet! is an excellent case, especially when you factor in the cost of the included fans. One thing I like about is is that you can add top fans without sacrificing silence because it has a top cover. In the Define R4/R5, the top of the case will leak a lot of noise out. The mixed review stem from the fact that the case is not as customizable as the R5 and its support for a front 240 mm rad is bad, but if you know exactly what kind of build you'll have then it's a moot point.

Linus has made a video with the Be Quiet! in his silent build.

The Define R4 is going for $85 too, if you prefer. You get 1 less case fan and no rubber washers. This might lead to the same vibration problem once again, but the R4 should have thicker steel than your current case.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/fractal-design-define-r4-atx-42-75044-1883.htm

I've looked up a lot of performance tests for it and it seems to struggle with GPU temperature. I'm guessing this would be easily remedied by adding a 140mm intake fan at the bottom by the power supply.

If I get another Fractal case I'm gonna replace the fans with be quiet ones anyways, I just can't deal with the buzzing noise the Fractal fans make... not to mention they don't seem to push air very well unless you crank them up to full speed (at which point it sounds like a fat PS3).

I've looked up a lot of performance tests for it and it seems to struggle with GPU temperature. I'm guessing this would be easily remedied by adding a 140mm intake fan at the bottom by the power supply.

If I get another Fractal case I'm gonna replace the fans with be quiet ones anyways, I just can't deal with the buzzing noise the Fractal fans make... not to mention they don't seem to push air very well unless you crank them up to full speed (at which point it sounds like a fat PS3).

You could also add a side panel fan - the Be Quiet! case has a retractable cover that will allow for airflow but still block some of the noise from leaking out.

The ideal thing, from a performance-silence balance, would be to populate all the fan spots and run them at low RPM. Also, removing fan filters will improve airflow because of less air resistance.

One thing to note is that the R5 has updated fans. According to SPCR, they're subjectively better sounding than the old fans.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1422-page3.html

You could also add a side panel fan - the Be Quiet! case has a retractable cover that will allow for airflow but still block some of the noise from leaking out.

The ideal thing, from a performance-silence balance, would be to populate all the fan spots and run them at low RPM. Also, removing fan filters will improve airflow because of less air resistance.

One thing to note is that the R5 has updated fans. According to SPCR, they're subjectively better sounding than the old fans.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1422-page3.html

Yeah that's my plan. Whatever case I get I'm probably gonna have 6 be quiet fans, 2x 140mm top exhaust, 1x 140mm bottom intake, 2x 140mm front intake, and 1x 120/140mm (depending on case) rear exhaust. I'll run them all probably on a medium speed... although according to be quiet's website even at 12V (full speed i presume) the fan is rated at 15.8 dBA, so perhaps full speed would be doable o_0

Yeah that's my plan. Whatever case I get I'm probably gonna have 6 be quiet fans, 2x 140mm top exhaust, 1x 140mm bottom intake, 2x 140mm front intake, and 1x 120/140mm (depending on case) rear exhaust. I'll run them all probably on a medium speed... although according to be quiet's website even at 12V (full speed i presume) the fan is rated at 15.8 dBA, so perhaps full speed would be doable o_0

I wouldn't rely too much on manufacturer dBA ratings, even from reputable companies like Be Quiet! and Noctua. The major problem is that companies do not explain how they measure noise, with what equipment, at what distance, etc.

At 1000RPM (12V) though the fans should be quiet enough. Then again it'll be running at the same speed as the fans in your current case, but I suspect most of the noise you're currently hearing is from vibration rather than airflow/fan motor noise.

Be sure to pick the Silent Wings series rather than the Pure Wings series since the former has rubber mounts.

I wouldn't rely too much on manufacturer dBA ratings, even from reputable companies like Be Quiet! and Noctua. The major problem is that companies do not explain how they measure noise, with what equipment, at what distance, etc.

At 1000RPM (12V) though the fans should be quiet enough. Then again it'll be running at the same speed as the fans in your current case, but I suspect most of the noise you're currently hearing is from vibration rather than airflow/fan motor noise.

Be sure to pick the Silent Wings series rather than the Pure Wings series since the former has rubber mounts.

I'd want pure wings for one of the front intake fans (the one that's partially blocked by the hard drive cage)

I'd want pure wings for one of the front intake fans (the one that's partially blocked by the hard drive cage)

The 3 fans included with the case are Pure Wings if I remember correctly.

I'd suggest going with the much cheaper option of replacing your fans instead: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1200

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It really depends on how much of a budget you have. 

If you were to just replace the fans, I'd go with corsair. Much better quality and the Quiet Editions come in LED colors. 

There is a problem with the case too, since it is made out of thin metal. I would (if I were you) invest a little more in a higher quality case that comes with higher quality fans. The Zalman Z11 is a really good case for a cheap price. It comes with some fairly high quality fans too.

You couldn't go wrong with a corsair case either, however they are significantly more expensive. 

If you want to save the money, just replace the fans with some noctuas or corsairs. Be quiet! fans aren't the greatest in my opinion. 

Good Luck!!! 

I really want to build an oil-immersed PC  ^_^

If you were to just replace the fans, I'd go with corsair. Much better quality and the Quiet Editions come in LED colors.

There is a problem with the case too, since it is made out of thin metal. I would (if I were you) invest a little more in a higher quality case that comes with higher quality fans. The Zalman Z11 is a really good case for a cheap price. It comes with some fairly high quality fans too.

You couldn't go wrong with a corsair case either, however they are significantly more expensive.

If you want to save the money, just replace the fans with some noctuas or corsairs. Be quiet! fans aren't the greatest in my opinion.

Good Luck!!!

Corsair and Zalman fans aren't nearly as quiet as Noctuas or BeQuiet's.

Stock fans from Zalman and Corsair cases also aren't better than what the OP already has.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Corsair and Zalman fans aren't nearly as quiet as Noctuas or BeQuiet's.

Stock fans from Zalman and Corsair cases also aren't better than what the OP already has.

oh 

I really want to build an oil-immersed PC  ^_^