USA Internet Speed isn't Top 10 in the World.

uhMayzedHD

Global average Internet connection speeds remained above the 4 Mbps threshold for broadband in the fourth quarter of 2014, increasing 0.7 percent to 4.5 Mbps, according to the latest report from Akamai.

Not all Internet connections are created equal, though: Six of the top 10 countries saw growth, while three regions declined, and Switzerland remained unchanged at 14.5 Mbps.

Despite a 12 percent decline, South Korea held its first-place position with a 22.2 Mbps average connection speed, followed by Hong Kong (16.8 Mbps) and Japan (15.2 Mbps). (For more, see PCMag's rundown of the fastest ISPs in South Koreaand Hong Kong.)

Sweden, Switzerland, and The Netherlands all landed in the 14 Mbps range, with Latvia (13 Mbps), Ireland (12.7 Mbps), the Czech Republic (12.3 Mbps), and Finland (12.1 Mbps) bringing up the rear.

At 11.1 Mbps average connection speed, the U.S. did not break the top 10.

Still, the U.S. FCC recently increased the threshold for what it considers to be broadband service from 4 Mbps to 25 Mbps. "In light of this update we will be reviewing how we define the metrics included in the report, as well how we present the data in future issues," Akamai said.

A total of 98 qualifying countries saw average connection speeds increase, growing anywhere from 0.1 percent (Czech Republic's 12.3 Mbps) to 78 percent (Nepal's 2.5 Mbps) in the final quarter.

The U.S. does lead the world in unique IPv4 addresses, as reported by Akamai. The 50 states were also the third-leading region when it came to IPv6 traffic, growing 29 percent from the previous quarter to a total 12 percent.

When it comes to mobile connectivity, the U.K. takes the lead, averaging 16 Mbps connection speed—well above second-place Denmark, which boasts 8.8 Mbps.

"Over the course of 2014, we've seen healthy global growth across all of our key metrics for Internet connectivity, broadband adoption, and 4K readiness," David Belson, editor of Akamai's State of the Internet report, said in a statement.

"The positive trends make an interesting contrast to a recent study that found 4.4 billion people around the world do not go online," he added, "indicating a strong need for continued efforts to improve and deploy Internet infrastructure globally."

Growing interest in the Web, however, also means more opportunities for cyber attacks. While the overall concentration of observed attack traffic decreased—no thanks to China and the U.S.—the volume of DDoS attacks increased more than 20 percent over the third quarter. Commerce and enterprise segments accounted for the majority of attacks, according to Akamai.

You can find more Info on PCmag if you want, Since everyone hates clickbait I just tell you where to go. :)

In response to the title: "You don't say!"

Either way, average Dutch speed is 14.2 Mbps, but I get around 40 Mbps.

It heavily fluctuates, so keep in mind these are just averages/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm a little skeptical of the 4G mobile speeds. Brasil and Australia have some of the fastest 4G networks - I can get 75mbit down on my phone.

I'm a little skeptical of the 4G mobile speeds. Brasil and Australia have some of the fastest 4G networks - I can get 75mbit down on my phone.

My phone's 4G is faster then my home internet... That's not right.

My phone's 4G is faster then my home internet... That's not right.

The story of my life

How is this a surprise?

I also like how they went on like " South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan" but they didn't say who was next. Well...because it's Romania . 

:P

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

How is this a surprise?

I also like how they went on like " South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan" but they didn't say who was next. Well...because it's Romania . 

:P

well be jealous now

coz 2Gbps Internet is here to stay in Singapore 

http://www.viewqwest.com/vqlp/2gbps-faq/index.html

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

well be jealous now

coz 2Gbps Internet is here to stay in Singapore 

http://www.viewqwest.com/vqlp/2gbps-faq/index.html

Does gigabit cost $15/month there?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Does gigabit cost $15/month there?

not there yet but gonna be cheaper by then

i already planning to upgrade from 300Mbps to 1Gbps

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

not there yet but gonna be cheaper by then

i already planning to upgrade from 300Mbps to 1Gbps

Meanwhile I am sitting here on my ass getting 4.5Mb down.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Meanwhile I am sitting here on my ass getting 4.5Mb down.

i feel you bro

but my neighbor Malaysia only has ADSL 1Mbps