Mantle or Dx11 on BF4

reapersivan

Hello so I have been playing BF4 for a while and have had pretty bad frame drops. I was going through the video settings and was wondering what should I have selected. DirectX was default and Mant was available. I have an fx 6300 and an R9 270. Would mantle make a big difference in Fps? I am playing in 900p with usually 50-80fps. I don't use custom settings just the default high ones. Any tips on custom video settings for high? I want to get a bit more Fps but haven't overclocked my CPU nor GPU. If I overclock them both, lets say CPU to 4.0 and GPU to speed of 945-1000mhz will there be a big difference, about how many frames increase? To get back on topic, what is the difference between mantle and direct X? I know Mantle is AMD associated

mantle would make a diffrence to you

it gives the game low level access

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Yeah, go for it. Enable Mantle.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

There are no downside in enabling mantle. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

mantle would make a diffrence to you

it gives the game low level access

Low level access? What do you mean?

Mantle makes better use of low to mid range hardware (especially older CPU's), i think that is what he is referring to.

I'd say just try it out and see how it works out, absolute worst that can happen is that you lose a couple of frames.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

There are no downside in enabling mantle. 

Yes there is,. it CAN be a buggy mess.

Countless threads on BF4 issues have been made where mantle is the cause.

Also on My machine,.. DX11 is perfect,.. yet Mantle gains 10-15fps, but induces a CRAPTON of stutter,.. like my VRAM is full,.. yet says it's using 2.3GB of 4GB.

It can be finicky on some configs.

@reapersivan - As for Detail levels on the 270x..

Ultra Textures - You'd be surprised how good some games can look on low,.. with High/Ultra textures backing them.

High Texture filtering - Better quality image blending and sharper looks over a longer distance, but isn't too performance intensive.

High/Ultra Mesh - This is Draw distance,.. quite important.

Defered AA should be off or on 2xMSAA depending on performance vs image quality - this is subjective to your likes and dislikes with AA

Post AA - same as above,.. it does blur the image a little bit,.. but if not using MSAA, setting this to low,.. can make the jaggies and sharp lines a bit smoother.

Lighting and shadow settings can be on low-medium, when your running around like a baws,.. do you stop to notice this stuff,.. nope, you rightclick on a enemy, and left click and move on.

Terrain quality can be on High

Terrain decoration can be on low,.. helps seeing enemies better with a less occluded map.

I'm sure when you mix and match settings,.. you'll find a nice sweet spot.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hello so I have been playing BF4 for a while and have had pretty bad frame drops. I was going through the video settings and was wondering what should I have selected. DirectX was default and Mant was available. I have an fx 6300 and an R9 270. Would mantle make a big difference in Fps? I am playing in 900p with usually 50-80fps. I don't use custom settings just the default high ones. Any tips on custom video settings for high? I want to get a bit more Fps but haven't overclocked my CPU nor GPU. If I overclock them both, lets say CPU to 4.0 and GPU to speed of 945-1000mhz will there be a big difference, about how many frames increase? To get back on topic, what is the difference between mantle and direct X? I know Mantle is AMD associated

Mantle can alleviate CPU-related framerate drops, so it's at it's most powerful when you have a very fast video card and a very mediocre CPU. Your video card is somewhat mid-range, so I'm not sure how much Mantle would actually help. If you already have the required hardware, why not just try it and see?

As for settings, your 270 might do fine with most settings on high at 1080p. But you're definitely going to want to turn off Anti-Aliasing Deferred, as that's the huge performance killer in all Frostbite 3 engine games. AA: Post might be okay to leave on. Definitely overclock your video card, as that's one of the big reasons to buy a 270—it's just a cheaper 270X with a lower default clock. The graphics processor is otherwise intact.

Mantle (as well as the forthcoming DirectX 12 and Vulkan) allows developers to more directly address the hardware. Removing some of the software layer that DirectX 11 has can reduce CPU overhead and increase performance. Sometimes.

Mantle for sure. Its superior to DX11. Will be same as DX12 though according to all the graphs we have seen lately.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I'm seeing people who don't even have an AMD card in their system saying there is no issues with Mantle...

Mantle memory leak in BF4 says hello.

I heard some issues with Mantle on 2gb framebuffer. You might need to lower some AA or texture.

Your cpu will benefit Mantle greatly i think.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I'm seeing people who don't even have an AMD card in their system saying there is no issues with Mantle...

Mantle memory leak in BF4 says hello.

Ya cause nvidia users would be a fantastic judge on issue with mantle...

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Mantle

In layman's terms it does the same job more efficiently, with less overhead and better distribution of workload to your CPU cores.