what software to use to code in?

Noilliz

For my web development (PHP, CSS and JS), I use Sublime Text 3 since no compiling is required. I like how lightweight, customizable and powerful it is. It can open and highlight enormous files much faster than most text editors out there. Plus, I know it isn't exclusive to ST3, but I like how it handles regular expressions.

For Java, I use Eclipse. It's not perfect by any means, but it's free and it's what the school uses. 

+1 for VIM, it's the nuts when you're able to write your own scripts for it. The only concern with VIM (and other such editors such as nano or emacs) is that being terminal-based you won't have immediate access to your mouse controls (although you can enable them using add-ons or certain settings depending on your environment).

If you're a student, then even more so for using something that isn't an integrated environment. Stuff like Netbeans, Pycharm, Eclipse, etc. all promote laziness and sloppiness, especially ones that do compilation for you. Seeing error messages, getting used to them, and developing the ability to debug your own code is invaluable and will save you more time in the long run. It's really bad to get used to shortcuts when it comes to programming, which is why even VIM has drawbacks (getting to the point where you can hit ctrl+alt+d+e and then ctrl+alt+d+q to interchange two highlighted lines is a dangerous place to be) compared to say nano or even just VI.

If you do want the ease that an IDE gives you though, I would still recommend learning the language on a text-to-compile basis first, that way you get a feel for all the nuances without having the software immediately make suggestions and give you answers and fix things automatically for you; once you know exactly what you're doing, you can use an IDE to speed up compiling and help improve efficiency.

Why would shortcuts be a drawback?

I use Notepad++. The forums design you see, it was coded using notepad++. The dev himself told me :D

CSS is not code.

Also there is a sublime text 2 license floating around on the web if you look for it..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Thank you for al the replies!, i am going to give sublime text 3 and pycharm a shot.

CPU: I5-4690K  GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G  Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Case: Corsair graphite series 230t SSD: Crucial m500 128GB HDD: 1TB WD GREEN RAM: 8GB Kingston Fury PSU: Corsiar CX600M

Why would shortcuts be a drawback?

shortcuts themselves are not actually a drawback, it's the passive effect of becoming reliant on them or getting over-comfortable which makes it difficult to switch environments.

CSS is not code.

Also there is a sublime text 2 license floating around on the web if you look for it..

CSS is code...

Ruby on Rails, or Visual Studio for .NET functionality

I would recommend using visual studio 2013 with the python plugin.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

shortcuts themselves are not actually a drawback, it's the passive effect of becoming reliant on them or getting over-comfortable which makes it difficult to switch environments.

This, especially on Java IDEs xD Well, if the user's gonna use it for a long time, then I guess it's ok.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

That's silly. Assuming that getting "over-comfortable" would make it difficult to switch environments sounds like a non sequitur.

I really like https://atom.io/especially with all the add ons you can have, they pretty much cover anything!

However I only really code websites with HTML and CSS, rarely touch other languages.

I am a freelance graphic designer! Check out my portfolio: http://www.joseph-cooper.co.uk

My Build: Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H Processor: i5 4690k Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600mhz 

Steam ID: Vectriixx

Notepad++ and Sublime Text are 2/3 great ones. i use NP++ tho more.

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

I love Intellij IDEA because I can write code fast, has support for almost every lang (if you get Ultimate (free for students)) and the interface is great. But just like any other IDE you will become lazy if you use it a lot, and won't understand your code as good as if you just use a text editor.

So in that case i would recommend Vi/Vim. There are also a lot of plug-ins for Vim which will make it look and behave more like a IDE.

CSS is code...

CSS is code. You are absolutely correct. I think he's referring to the fact that it's not a programming language. It's a style sheet language. The same goes for HTML. It's still code but it's not a programming language, it's a markup language.

CSS is not code.

CSS is code. I explained what I think you're referring to above.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I use Notepad++ on Windows.

The only other alternatives I know of are Ultraedit (not free), Scintilla (has fewer features) and notepad (awful)

If you want an actual IDE, Visual Studio 2010 is good. Eclipse and Visual studio 2012/13 are painful to use and buggy, in my experience. They have breakpoint debuggers and Visual Studio has essential features to programming C#, but other than that I don't really see a reason to use them.

For the most part I stay away from IDEs because I've used almost none that I liked better than notepad.

However, if you're on Linux, the only Notepad++ port I know of is NotepadQQ, and AFAIK it's pretty outdated and not maintained anymore.

Scintilla seems like a pretty good alternative from the little I've seen of it. I'm probably gonna use that in the future.

There's also VIM and EMACS which both have a huge learning curve and no real benefit that I can see, other than VIM being on command line.

CSS is code...

If it's not Turing complete, it's not code.

CSS is a data language. It's different than something like C.

That's silly. Assuming that getting "over-comfortable" would make it difficult to switch environments sounds like a non sequitur.

If you only ever program with a breakpoint debugger for a while, the ability to debug something without one kinda fades. I've had problems with that after programming with only C# and VS for several months then trying to write C.

Also, if you've only ever debugged with a breakpoint debugger in a full IDE, if you get a job where you have to program with GCC and VI, you're going to have a very hard time.

If it's not Turing complete, it's not code.

Define code.

Also, if you've only ever debugged with a breakpoint debugger in a full IDE, if you get a job where you have to program with GCC and VI, you're going to have a very hard time.

If you're using gcc and vi then you'll have access to gdb. You can imagine horror scenarios where you have nothing but Notepad to use all you want, that is still a dumb argument against becoming comfortable  with a preferred set of development tools.

• 2 weeks later...

emacs for text editing and visual studio community edition for debugging c++ programs. Of course I can't forget my batch files for compiling.