what software to use to code in?

Noilliz

Hello everyone,

At college i started my first lessons in coding, i'm pretty exited and love it so far. The language i'm working with is python 3, but the default program to type my code in is IDLE. I can't stand it and switched to notepad++. But my question is if there is other software out there that is pretty handy to code in.

Cheers,

Joey

CPU: I5-4690K  GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G  Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Case: Corsair graphite series 230t SSD: Crucial m500 128GB HDD: 1TB WD GREEN RAM: 8GB Kingston Fury PSU: Corsiar CX600M

-snip-

I heard Sublime Text 2 is pretty good

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Visual Studio and Notepad++ are the ones I use, mainly the former.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I heard Sublime Text 2 is pretty good

Sublime Text 3 is better  :P

@Noilliz here is the link: http://www.sublimetext.com/3

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

An excellent replacement for notepad++ : https://atom.io/

As for an IDE for python: Here's a good comparison

+1 for atom or sublime text if you don't mind paying 70$ for a text editor. 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

I really like the PyCharm IDE.

The community edition is free and is probably all you need. However, if for some reason you want the professional version, which requires a license purchase, you should be able to get a free academic license since you're a student.

+1 for atom or sublime text if you don't mind paying 70$ for a text editor. 

euuhhh? isn't atom & sublime text free? i just downloaded it from the site.

euuhhh? isn't atom & sublime text free? i just downloaded it from the site.

Evaluation is free (and there is no time limit either), I guess that's fine for students but in a corporate environment it'd probably cost you 70$

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Evaluation is free (and there is no time limit either), I guess that's fine for students but in a corporate environment it'd probably cost you 70$

That could be it. I'm an IT student and we have the github student package thing. I think it was included in there.

That could be it. I'm an IT student and we have the github student package thing. I think it was included in there.

I guess it's more like an unlimited trial, a bit like winrar does :P

Storage Asustor AS7004T

Gotta love unlimited trials.

forlackofabettercomic-comics-winrar-2584

He's a student so he could use the unlimited trial i guess.

If you have a company and they come and check the software and they see you are running a trial, you could be in trouble.

He's a student so he could use the unlimited trial i guess.

If you have a company and they come and check the software and they see you are running a trial, you could be in trouble.

Yeah, that's what I meant by it. 

Storage Asustor AS7004T

I use Notepad++. The forums design you see, it was coded using notepad++. The dev himself told me :D

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Since you just started coding.. I would encourage you to try VIM (runs on POSIX systems). There is a learning curve but going forward it will save you alot of time. There are modules and scripts for almost anything you can think off.

Give it a try. Watch this video so you can appreciate what it can do for you -->

Hello everyone,

At college i started my first lessons in coding, i'm pretty exited and love it so far. The language i'm working with is python 3, but the default program to type my code in is IDLE. I can't stand it and switched to notepad++. But my question is if there is other software out there that is pretty handy to code in.

Cheers,

Joey

You can Start VIM here.

PyCharm

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

+1 for VIM, it's the nuts when you're able to write your own scripts for it. The only concern with VIM (and other such editors such as nano or emacs) is that being terminal-based you won't have immediate access to your mouse controls (although you can enable them using add-ons or certain settings depending on your environment).

If you're a student, then even more so for using something that isn't an integrated environment. Stuff like Netbeans, Pycharm, Eclipse, etc. all promote laziness and sloppiness, especially ones that do compilation for you. Seeing error messages, getting used to them, and developing the ability to debug your own code is invaluable and will save you more time in the long run. It's really bad to get used to shortcuts when it comes to programming, which is why even VIM has drawbacks (getting to the point where you can hit ctrl+alt+d+e and then ctrl+alt+d+q to interchange two highlighted lines is a dangerous place to be) compared to say nano or even just VI.

If you do want the ease that an IDE gives you though, I would still recommend learning the language on a text-to-compile basis first, that way you get a feel for all the nuances without having the software immediately make suggestions and give you answers and fix things automatically for you; once you know exactly what you're doing, you can use an IDE to speed up compiling and help improve efficiency.

Iv been using notepad++ for years. Every time i branch out and try something diffrent I usually end up back where i started. Its fast and does what i need it to do without interfeeing to much with fancy features. Unless you have a beefy computer i would avoid any of the java based IDEs

It depends. For C++ I use Visual Studio (playing with CLion though), for Python I use Pycharm, for Java I use Intellij, and for editing text on my Linux and BSD servers I use Vim. I also use Sublime Text 3 but this is mostly for writing documentation and notes in Markdown.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Hello everyone,

Cheers,

Joey

visual studio express for c#. notepad++ for html/css/php

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I program .php so I only use Dreamweaver CC. But that is only useful if you are doing webbased programming such as php or rails.

~Jervi - Jervi systems inc.

Join Jervi and leave your virginity at home!

I'm a comp sci student, and my editor of choice is vim. Cept for android dev, I'm using IntelliJ for that.

Its really powerful, as well as having so much support behind it for plugins and the like.

I'm still learning new things it can do, and also just ways that I can apply the things that I do know it can do.

I basically just gave it a decent go at the start, got used to it and have slowly built up a personal config for it and am really liking it.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4