Is this an appropriate lens

I am looking to get a new lens. I have a canon 70d. Used mainly for indoor sports photography.

So it's low light with very fast motion- karate school.

Also for outdoors and just whenever we want a nice picture

I think this will be a good fit and want your advice

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG

I want a lens that fast, IS would be nice, good range, and doesn't break the bank. I know those are tough requirements but I think it's possible

Right now, we have some old film lens' that work with adapter we got but there is no auto focus and automatic settings. We also have the kit 18-55 and the kit 18-135

I would recommend instead of buying a lens learn to work with mono pod or have a stationary position. 70D can work in good low light so crank up ISO and put the shutter up high problem solved. Kit lenses are good quality and should be more than enough

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I would recommend instead of buying a lens learn to work with mono pod or have a stationary position. 70D can work in good low light so crank up ISO and put the shutter up high problem solved. Kit lenses are good quality and should be more than enough

you normally would have to crank up iso anyway indoors with fast movements ...

a monopod would only help with longer exposure times, so in this case it doesnt help at all ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

3 issues there, 1 higher iso is never good you want it at the camera's native setting, 2 increasing shutter speed will cause problems with sports. You want as fast of a shutter speed as you can get for most sports, 3 Kit lens are just that they come in a kit meant for starting out. Not something you always want to use. 

I am looking to get a new lens. I have a canon 70d. Used mainly for indoor sports photography.

So it's low light with very fast motion- karate school.

Also for outdoors and just whenever we want a nice picture

I think this will be a good fit and want your advice

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG

I want a lens that fast, IS would be nice, good range, and doesn't break the bank. I know those are tough requirements but I think it's possible

Right now, we have some old film lens' that work with adapter we got but there is no auto focus and automatic settings. We also have the kit 18-55 and the kit 18-135

I would look at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967344-REG/sigma_18_35mm_f1_8_dc_hsm.html  if you don't need more than 35mm it is an amazing lens and well worth the price. I have used one personally and it is the next o my buy list. Now if you need more than 35mm and 55mm is what you need I would go with the Cannon one. I'll look for a video I watched of a comparison in this lens size.    **Edit** found it great review I would watch it before buying 

If you are flexible on your point of shooting you might want to check out some primes (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm)

3 issues there, 1 higher iso is never good you want it at the camera's native setting, 2 increasing shutter speed will cause problems with sports. You want as fast of a shutter speed as you can get for most sports, 3 Kit lens are just that they come in a kit meant for starting out. Not something you always want to use. 

I would look at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967344-REG/sigma_18_35mm_f1_8_dc_hsm.html  if you don't need more than 35mm it is an amazing lens and well worth the price. I have used one personally and it is the next o my buy list. Now if you need more than 35mm and 55mm is what you need I would go with the Cannon one. I'll look for a video I watched of a comparison in this lens size.    **Edit** found it great review I would watch it before buying 

I'm sorry, but where did you get that higher ISO is a never good? What is wrong with having higher shutter speed, that is the main point of it. For karate 1/250 will be more than enough. About the lenses, if he already has the lenses which are capable of producing good image the lens is not the problem. Why invest half a grand when you can get same result with the tools you already have.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

If you are flexible on your point of shooting you might want to check out some primes (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm)

Primes are the fastest lenses but for sport they're a bad choice as you are fixed to one length :( 

Primes are the fastest lenses but for sport they're a bad choice as you are fixed to one length :(

use your feet ;)

use your feet ;)

It's a good challenge sometimes to go out of comfort zone, but not when the job needs to be done zoom is the choice  :)

I'm sorry, but where did you get that higher ISO is a never good? What is wrong with having higher shutter speed, that is the main point of it. For karate 1/250 will be more than enough. About the lenses, if he already has the lenses which are capable of producing good image the lens is not the problem. Why invest half a grand when you can get same result with the tools you already have.

I was guessing you meant like 3200+ iso by high iso and 1/15 shutter speed. Since it seems I was wrong then yes, also the kit lens has a crap ton of chromatic aberration, so replace it is a good idea, also shooting more wide open will allow him to use a lower iso which is often better. 

With 70D even 3200iso is still usable with some photoshop have a look at this comparison. Chromatic aberration is true, but it is not very drastic thing as artifact. The problem with wide open is focus :( if the thing he is shooting moves a lot it might take several times to get a sharp picture. Most of the times in sport you would go with f8 for full sharpness maybe a little bit lower, that is why you can only go with iso to help in low light. Better to have little bit of grain and correct it in post than blurred image or out of focus

Thank you all very much!!!!

Yeah right now, in order to get frozen motion. We use sports mode. (My mom shoots the pictures and doesn't want to fiddle with setting- I'll get that fixed....) but the camera does, whatever aperture at the given focal length then usually 1/100. But here's what kills me, the ISO never goes under 6400

Only a small amount are 3200 and even less are under that

The lens will be a birthday present

Hand held is the only option, not a lot of room and for just ease of use.

Keep in mind I also do other photography for other more artistic uses, landscapes, dog, etc.

This is a sample image to show the condition of the karate school. It's a tough situation for the camera.

post-66-0-84806400-1427293977.jpg

Thanks again!

With 70D even 3200iso is still usable with some photoshop have a look at this comparison. Chromatic aberration is true, but it is not very drastic thing as artifact. The problem with wide open is focus :( if the thing he is shooting moves a lot it might take several times to get a sharp picture. Most of the times in sport you would go with f8 for full sharpness maybe a little bit lower, that is why you can only go with iso to help in low light. Better to have little bit of grain and correct it in post than blurred image or out of focus

Yeah f8 would impossible. It's dark, and flash would be annoying and distracting to the kids.

Yeah f8 would impossible. It's dark, and flash would be annoying and distracting to the kids.

The main obstacle is for your mum to start using manual and getting to know the camera more :) Right now I start to understand that it is less for work more for a hobby. So the quality is not very important. from the picture up above it is very lit place. There will be little fast movement, so 1/125 F5 and 1600iso should be more than enough. I hope you taught your mother to use RAW. As even in blackest areas RAW saves light information and you can retrieve it. If you want to scrap all of this theory and just give your mother a cool present I can't reccomend more a prime lens as @MrSuperb said they are very fast, but most importantly they will be great for portrait photography. Canon 50mm f1.8 is the best bang for the buck lens on the market. I've done taken pictures where there is only moon light and a one light flashing in front:

post-25688-0-24818700-1427296471.jpg

The main obstacle is for your mum to start using manual and getting to know the camera more :) Right now I start to understand that it is less for work more for a hobby. So the quality is not very important. from the picture up above it is very lit place. There will be little fast movement, so 1/125 F5 and 1600iso should be more than enough. I hope you taught your mother to use RAW. As even in blackest areas RAW saves light information and you can retrieve it. If you want to scrap all of this theory and just give your mother a cool present I can't reccomend more a prime lens as @MrSuperb said they are very fast, but most importantly they will be great for portrait photography. Canon 50mm f1.8 is the best bang for the buck lens on the market. I've done taken pictures where there is only moon light and a one light flashing in front:

I am slowly getting her transitioned to manual as well as raw. Whenever I shoot it's raw and manual or av, tv. The present is actallly for myself but we both use the camera. She shoots most of the karate pictures because I am the performing or teaching. I have looked into the nifty fifty, very tempting.

That picture is also edited and cherry picked, the light happened to be good that day. Most of the time it is not that good.

Well I heard the canon copycat Yongnuo 50mm 1.4 is quite the lens and cheaper then the Canon version

For sports, I would try and find a used 70-200. You can find the non is f4 70-200 for around $400 used and the non is 2.8 for around $700 used. I wouldent buy another standard zoom for sports. It's the wrong kind of lens for what you are trying to do. The quality with used l glass will also be much better than what the sigma could offer.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

For sports, I would try and find a used 70-200. You can find the non is f4 70-200 for around $400 used and the non is 2.8 for around $700 used. I wouldent buy another standard zoom for sports. It's the wrong kind of lens for what you are trying to do. The quality with used l glass will also be much better than what the sigma could offer.

I second that the 70-200 F4 or F2.8 would be best choice, but I disagree with L lens ebing better then Sigma, atleast not the new Sigma's, and the way L lens is getting worse in build quality

Whats a good place to get used lenses? 

im in the US btw 

Whats a good place to get used lenses? 

im in the US btw 

craigslist, ebay, or your local camera store if they sell used items.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz