Android vs. iOS

MuffinTopMike

I am getting a new phone soon and I really cannot decide between Android and iOS. I have used an iPhone for a number of years and love the simplicity of it, it is just so easy to use. However, I dislike its lack of customization and being part of the Apple crowd. Android is nice, but it seems so over complicated, like how difficult it is to search for an app, or even delete an app. But I really like some of the new Android phones like the Samsung Galaxy S6 with its amazing screen and awesome specs. So can I get used to Android after using iOS for so long? Or should I just stick with iOS?

Android is much better, so many more options for customization, so much more freedom, and not to mention with most android phones you can take out the battery if you need to, and have a micro sd card slot for extra storage! :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Android because you can actually change stuff.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not sure why you're finding it hard to search for apps or delete them tbh.  The deleting feature is almost identical to iOS but less prone to you making a mistake.

In my opinion the two are on so much of a level playing field these days it's neither here nor there.  If you prefer iOS and the Apple ecosystem then go for that, if you prefer Android and the Google ecosystem then that's where you need to go.

What I would suggest is playing around with a few different android manufacturers phones, get a feel for the different launchers that are used and see if that makes a difference.  I had TouchWiz and I sold the phone within 1 month of buying it, then went for a Nexus 4 and loved it before finally upgrading for a Nexus 6 (don't hate, I love it).

Most people aren't actually interested in most of the benefits of Android imo, certainly they aren't going to be if they are asking this question on here.  If the OP was that way inclined it would be a no brainer and they'd be a Fandroid all the way.

Have you considered a OnePlus One? Full of all of the customisation.

At the end of the day only you can choose which, go have a look in shops and stuff and have a play with Android to see if you like it.

Android isn't complicated you just have to get used to it which you will be in your first week.

Go grab a Windows Phone...  Easy to use, most customizable interface, along with a great ecosystem.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I'm using both Android and iOS

And I suggest using Android, starting from Lollipop 5.0 it is MUCH MUCH smoother than Jelly Beans and Kitkat, plus google make it more simple to use now (providing that you aren't much into rooting and custom rom)

But I'm against buying Galaxy S6, either wait for Note 5 or LG G4 or go straight for LG G Flex 2, LG is making sexier phones than sammy now, plus their upgradability is so much better than they used to be, the optimus G pro is upgraded to 5.0 while my Galaxy J with better spec and later release still doesn't have any word of 5.0 atm

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Go grab a Windows Phone...  Easy to use, most customizable interface, along with a great ecosystem.

lol

Android is cheaper to produce/sold for less so you can get better hardware for a similar price.

lol

Android is cheaper to produce/sold for less so you can get better hardware for a similar price.

What are you talking about? Android is free and open-source... Also, there's some excellent sub 100 dollar Windows phones out there that beat anything in it's price range. Except the Moto E & G.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

lol

Not true.  The best selling smart phone for less than $200 has been the Lumia 520/521 since it was introduced.

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia630/specifications/

Currently my sub $200 recommendation.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Android is much better, so many more options for customization, so much more freedom, and not to mention with most android phones you can take out the battery if you need to, and have a micro sd card slot for extra storage! :P

Not sure why you're finding it hard to search for apps or delete them tbh.  The deleting feature is almost identical to iOS but less prone to you making a mistake.

In my opinion the two are on so much of a level playing field these days it's neither here nor there.  If you prefer iOS and the Apple ecosystem then go for that, if you prefer Android and the Google ecosystem then that's where you need to go.

What I would suggest is playing around with a few different android manufacturers phones, get a feel for the different launchers that are used and see if that makes a difference.  I had TouchWiz and I sold the phone within 1 month of buying it, then went for a Nexus 4 and loved it before finally upgrading for a Nexus 6 (don't hate, I love it).

Most people aren't actually interested in most of the benefits of Android imo, certainly they aren't going to be if they are asking this question on here.  If the OP was that way inclined it would be a no brainer and they'd be a Fandroid all the way.

What I find difficult is just the basic things, that seem so seamless on iOS, but the last time I used Android was ages ago so it has probably changed a lot since then. I have heard a lot of negativity around TouchWiz, but apparently with the new Galaxy S6 is has improved a lot. I probably need to get my hands on some form of Android phone just to get a feel for it.

Have you considered a OnePlus One? Full of all of the customisation.

At the end of the day only you can choose which, go have a look in shops and stuff and have a play with Android to see if you like it.

I have considered the OnePlus One and it looks great, but if I went for Android I would probably wait until the OnePlus Two is released, which is rumored later this year.

Windows phone seems decent, but more suited for older people, who are more interested in email than games and videos.

I'm using both Android and iOS

And I suggest using Android, starting from Lollipop 5.0 it is MUCH MUCH smoother than Jelly Beans and Kitkat, plus google make it more simple to use now (providing that you aren't much into rooting and custom rom)

Which one do you prefer Android or iOS? Is Android becoming simpler like iOS?

Not true.  The best selling smart phone for less than $200 has been the Lumia 520/521 since it was introduced.

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia630/specifications/

Currently my sub $200 recommendation.

I had that phone and it was a piece of shit.

I had non stop problems with that phone and it slowed down after 6 months incredibly.

Tried reseting it and it worked for like 3 weeks then started lagging again.

What are you talking about? Android is free and open-source... Also, there's some excellent sub 100 dollar Windows phones out there that beat anything in it's price range. Except the Moto E & G.

The way the OS was when I left it, it was in a horrible mess and the app store was fucking terrible with constant apps crashing and never even opening.

Also terrible customisation.

Which one do you prefer Android or iOS? Is Android becoming simpler like iOS?

Android

Using android is like a piece of cake

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

The way the OS was when I left it, it was in a horrible mess and the app store was fucking terrible with constant apps crashing and never even opening.

Thankfully not as bad as your flaming and spelling...

Spoiler

It's not quite as easy as android getting simpler, the reason why iOS is so user friendly is lack of options and control over your device, its locked down so less problems can happen, its a choice is iOS isn't enough for you then Android is the next best option right now nothing else is a mature.

I agree with you that Windows Phone is not the best and I like Android better, but I was able to use the Lumia 1520 for a while and it wasn't actually bad, just not a great app ecosystem (At all). However don't go around stating bs.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I agree with you that Windows Phone is not the best and I like Android better, but I was able to use the Lumia 1520 for a while and it wasn't actually bad, just not a great app ecosystem (At all). However don't go around stating bs.

Don't get me wrong, it has a lot of potential but the budget phones for me suck ass.

P.S How is me stating my personal opinion bs? kthnxbai

It's not quite as easy as android getting simpler, the reason why iOS is so user friendly is lack of options and control over your device, its locked down so less problems can happen, its a choice is iOS isn't enough for you then Android is the next best option right now nothing else is a mature.

Good point, it is pretty limited which does make it easier to use. I just need to decide if I need the extra features that come with Android, or stick with the more basic iOS. 

Android is good, iOS is good. really depends on your type of usage.

I suggest you go around on nearby mall / mobile shop to test the usage.

Don't get me wrong, it has a lot of potential but the budget phones for me suck ass.

P.S How is me stating my personal opinion bs? kthnxbai

Your statement about Android costing less or something along those lines is not true. I however respect the opinion you presented about disliking Windows Phone.

Android is good, iOS is good. really depends on your type of usage.

I suggest you go around on nearby mall / mobile shop to test the usage.

Yeah good idea, no point spending $700 on a flagship smartphone only to realize I don't like the OS.

Yeah good idea, no point spending $700 on a flagship smartphone only to realize I don't like the OS.

To be exact, what are you going to do with your phone?

#Gadget: