Windows 8.1 Issue

Hi,

I've recently updated my laptop through Windows Update and have run into an issue. The issue is that I am unable to open up applications from my desktop or start menu. I am able to launch Chrome from my taskbar and several games through Steam as Steam is set to launch on start up.

I tried to start Spotify from the desktop but the laptop just froze and had to shut down by holding down the power button. Powered the laptop on again and tried Spotify again, same thing happened. I also tried launching it from the taskbar but still no dice. Strange how Chrome will launch from the taskbar but not Spotify. Managed to load up Norton Internet security from the notifications area in the bottom right just fine, Steam too.

Any solutions? Personally, I think something from Windows Update is the problem but I don't know what and I don't have a recent restore point set so I can't revert. Also, don't think the laptop make and model matter but, it's an MSI GX60 3CC Destoryer.

Thanks,

TheDarkShadow

Hi,

I've recently updated my laptop through Windows Update and have run into an issue. The issue is that I am unable to open up applications from my desktop or start menu. I am able to launch Chrome from my taskbar and several games through Steam as Steam is set to launch on start up.

I tried to start Spotify from the desktop but the laptop just froze and had to shut down by holding down the power button. Powered the laptop on again and tried Spotify again, same thing happened. I also tried launching it from the taskbar but still no dice. Strange how Chrome will launch from the taskbar but not Spotify. Managed to load up Norton Internet security from the notifications area in the bottom right just fine, Steam too.

Any solutions? Personally, I think something from Windows Update is the problem but I don't know what and I don't have a recent restore point set so I can't revert. Also, don't think the laptop make and model matter but, it's an MSI GX60 3CC Destoryer.

Thanks,

TheDarkShadow

I just had this issue. As of yet there is no permanent fix. What you have to do is open Task Manager and tell Windows Explorer to restart. You'll need to do this every time it happens until Microsoft releases a patch.

EDIT: Also, make sure that you "follow" your own threads so that you know when people reply.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I just had this issue. As of yet there is no permanent fix. What you have to do is open Task Manager and tell Windows Explorer to restart. You'll need to do this every time it happens until Microsoft releases a patch.

EDIT: Also, make sure that you "follow" your own threads so that you know when people reply.

Thanks for the heads up. I did just try launching several programs from my desktop (Adobe Reader, Skype, Fileilla, Origin, Notepad++) and they all seem to launch fine, the laptop doesn't freeze. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify and see if that fixes it but I doubt it. Spotify ran fine prior to the Windows Update.

Thanks for the heads up. I did just try launching several programs from my desktop (Adobe Reader, Skype, Fileilla, Origin, Notepad++) and they all seem to launch fine, the laptop doesn't freeze. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify and see if that fixes it but I doubt it. Spotify ran fine prior to the Windows Update.

I think the issue with the Start button not working is that it's an executable thread getting hung up. The next time the Start button stops working, mouse over to the right and see if the charms bar responds. If you're having the same issue as everyone else, then both will stop working and the only fix is to restart Explorer.

EDIT: When it happened to me today I could launch shortcuts and pinned icons on the taskbar just fine. It was only the Start button, charms bar, and recent windows bar (mousing top left corner) that stopped working. I could still access the Start menu using the keyboard.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I think the issue with the Start button not working is that it's an executable thread getting hung up. The next time the Start button stops working, mouse over to the right and see if the charms bar responds. If you're having the same issue as everyone else, then both will stop working and the only fix is to restart Explorer.

EDIT: When it happened to me today I could launch shortcuts and pinned icons on the taskbar just fine. It was only the Start button, charms bar, and recent windows bar (mousing top left corner) that stopped working. I could still access the Start menu using the keyboard.

My start button works fine, it's just that I couldn't launch any program from the start menu. I seem to have fixed it by just re-installing/updating Spotify.

Update: There doesn't seem to be any issues now. Updating Spotify did resolve the issue.