My Personal Build (Axon)

ChrisWald

First let me start of by saying this will be my very first "From the ground up" computer build.

I have always loved gaming and PC gaming has aways had a special place in my heath. 

I own an XBOX One for the exclusive games like Forza. I also own several Nintendo handhelds (including the new 3DS XL) and have always been a Pokemon fan.

But I LOVE sim (-ish) games such as Forza, Flight Gear, Assetto Corsa (and yes even Minecraft!)

I'm Dutch but prefer English speaking Media (For example all my devices have been set to English language because most Dutch descriptions ether make something difficult to understand or just make it sound plain stupid).

I have basically always used a mac with a bootcamp thing to play games. (with a Mac Blackwidow 2013 and razer ouroborus)

About a half a year ago I decided that: "it had been a good run with my Mac" and that is was time for a more gaming orientated system.

Especially with DirectX 12 coming.

I have Modded, upgraded and taken apart several computers in the past.

I also have quite some experience in the software department.

Lets get on to the computer build:

I have made a list on the german part picker website:

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/LXTppg

I am open for suggestions.

I like the more simplistic and toned down look Apple computers have so this is why I decided to go with a Black - Gray/Silver color combination instead of the more common "gammerly" looks with lots of colors and edgy looking design. Hell, this thing has the sit next to me for like the next 2 years so it better look sleek and have some decent quality. 

I plan to upgrade my pc down the line probably the first upgrade will be adding some Noctua fans and a Noctua CPU cooler as I (and some of my friends) have had Great experiences with these coolers. The next thing I am planning to upgrade down the line is the Ram bumping it up to 16 GB than maybe adding another SSD and later a better CPU or GPU. This is one of the reasons I chose the Corsair case over a case like the Cooler Master 690 III (Windowed) Because the case has clamps rather than thumb screws this just seems more elegant to me.

I'm Still in the financing and planning phase but I think I'll start building in about 2 months.

(I find feel and quality of products very important, this is also one of the reasons I love mechanical keyboards)

I chose the Intel i5 4690K but I am still doubting if I should upgrade to an i7 or not.

I chose the Asus motherboard because I can upgrade my ram later on and i think it looks nice. I have also heard great things in terms of reliability about Asus

I chose the ram because I like the way the heat sinks make the ram look so sleek and it's not that expensive. (and lets be honest I could go with faster ram but as Linus has proven it doesn't affect games that much)

I chose the SSD and HDD combo because I want quick startup and have some games on the SSD whilst still having some storage and not costing a fortune. I chose the Sandisk because in my understanding its the best price to performance you can get.

and the WD Caviar Blue because I find this drive to be the most reliable.

I chose the Asus Strix 970 because I want to game on it and I do not plan on running in SLI and I like the look of it.

I chose the Corsair case because I like the look and it's made from aluminium. On top of that it's it has the features I want.

I chose the Corsair power supply because I heard great things about Corsair supplies and like their simple black design.

I chose the Asus monitor Because it has low response time whilst looking quite good and at a reasonable price. I originally wanted a Ultra-widescreen Monitor but backed off after seeing response times, refresh rates and prices. So I want with the next best thing a 27 inch. (a am currently using a 27 inch monitor with the same resolution and its great for emersion and productivity.

I chose a Corsair K65 keyboard because I want a mechanical cherry keyboard with cherry switches and RGB lighting. The LUA coding thing is going to be pretty awesome as well. (I can overcome the current horrible software) 

I chose a Logitech mouse because I like the look, ergonomics, performance, button layout, price and quality of Logitech.

I also decided to get me a bungee and a mouse mat

I decided to nam the computer Axon because I jugged it to be a fitting name.

I am very open to suggestions and debate and will update this post once I have made progress

Asus gpus are shit at overclocking. Get Msi or gigabyte. Make sure you get an after market heatsink if u overclock your cpu. If not get a locked cpu

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Asus gpus are shit at overclocking. Get Msi or gigabyte

I don't really plan on overclocking the GPU that much. but I'll consider it.

I don't really plan on overclocking the GPU that much. but I'll consider it.

Get a locked cpu if you don't want to overclock it. If you are then get an after market heatsink

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

Get a locked cpu if you don't want to overclock it. If you are then get an after market heatsink

I do Plan on overclocking just not "taking it that far" That's why I do not want a locked CPU.

I do Plan on overclocking just not "taking it that far" That's why I do not want a locked CPU.

I do plan on getting a Noctua CPU cooler and some case fans but later as in a few weeks after my build is completed (I listed this in the post)

Doing any overclocking at all, you should have an aftermarket heatsink

Updated the link because I switched some things

I am closing this topic because I have another one in the workbench section