New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

We are extremely excited to announce our launch on Vessel, a brand new online video platform aimed at providing high quality, curated content to online viewers 

Vessel FAQ

What is Vessel? Vessel is a low-priced ($2.99 USD per month) subscription service that provides early access to the web’s best short-format videos from many of its most creative storytellers and best video-based talent.

Does this mean that you won’t be putting your videos on YouTube or the free web? Our videos will continue to be on YouTube and the free web like they always have been. Vessel allows fans to support creators by subscribing to get early access to videos.

Who is Vessel for? Vessel is for fans who want to get early access to videos from their favorite creators and support those creators by subscribing to Vessel and allowing creators to earn a lot more per view compared to the free web.

Is putting videos behind a paywall anti-fan? We don't think so - ultimately, this enables creators to invest in making better and more ambitious content, which benefits every fan--even the ones who choose not to pay.

What if I don’t have a credit card or find paying challenging? Vessel is committed to keeping the subscription price as low as possible, supplemented with light load of advertising. In addition, in celebration of their launch, they are giving away a full free year to fans who sign up during the first 72 hours of our launch. Use our referral link when you sign up, http://vessel.com/linustechtips, to help support the cause!

Won’t this divide your fans since some will watch your videos before others? Even today, some fans watch videos the day they come out, some a week later. This will not change.

Is Vessel a YouTube competitor? No. They’re each part of a much larger video ecosystem, and each of them offers a different way to help creators build their business. At the end of the day, they’re all interested in seeing that ecosystem thrive.

Do you view Netflix or Hulu as competition? They are focused on a very different market, for professionally-produced, long-form content. Vessel is complementary in that they are a subscription video service for a different, but equally as important type of video.

What is your contract with Vessel? What is the terms of your deal? We won’t be commenting on our contract or deal terms.

If you have any other questions, please post them below, and we will answer them to the best of our ability!

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/24/8280885/try-streaming-service-vessel-free-for-a-year-youtube-hulu

"Following an invitation-only public beta, Vessel is now available to everyone — and if you sign up in the next 72 hours, you can get it free for a year"

Everyone sign up now!

Update: Linus just posted a video regarding the one year of free access.

This is only a test

...and if you sign up in the next 72 hours, you can get it free for a year.

This is only a test

Hey Nick,

I just registered and im watching a video already! (Loving the free 1st year!) 

When you post a video on youtube you include a discussion thread for the forum in the description, Will this discussion thread now come out with YouTube or the Vessel release?

...and if you sign up in the next 72 hours, you can get it free for a year.

You should include some important qoutes like these in the original post :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What an amazing and informative post thank you for including so much detail and such valid personal opinion. Not to mention linus himself mentioned it in his latest video already. 

Edit: Well it seems the post was fixed somewhat so now the above isn't so sarcastic 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Pretty mad just signed up and already subscribed to Linus on it and they are already posting woop!

post-163060-0-12924100-1427182009.jpg

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

For those of us who are extremely price sensitive, don't have incomes, and can't even afford $3/month, is there anything else we can do to get access to early content? For example, provide access to bronze-level contributors or higher? Forcibly watching pre-roll ads? I think I can compromise with the previous 2 options if you guys (LMG) are willing to compromise so long as there's evidence showing that we support you other than direct monetary contribution.

We have discussed the possibility of giving contributors access to the Vessel platform. The folks at Vessel have been really open to suggestions and collaboration opportunities so far, which is one of the aspects that made them an attractive partner for us.

Right now I don't have 100% confirmation on that, but we'll update this thread when we can confirm whether or not contributors will get continued access to Vessel as part of their contributor rewards.

I unfortunately can't register, pressing the sign up button just refreshes the page. Happens on firefox and chrome.

I have run into an issue with vessel, one which i dont expect u guys to be able to fix, but just a heads up, your youtube videos loads just fine (even 1080p), but due to me living in malaysia, yes where u are now linus, vessel's video buffers really slowly, even without turning on HD   

So new signups for Vessel get a year free, but the existing users don't? I've seen this trick before.

If that's the case, then I already dislike this service.

EDIT: Support says existing users should get it too, but I haven't - not sure if it has affected other people.

EDIT2: All fixed. Now the player won't work on Firefox when HD is set to 'on' but it works in Chrome :(

Edited by Vettexl

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Hey Nick,

I just registered and im watching a video already! (Loving the free 1st year!) 

When you post a video on youtube you include a discussion thread for the forum in the description, Will this discussion thread now come out with YouTube or the Vessel release?

Great question!

We thought that was a great inclusion as well.

At this point, I think it's best to continue posting the discussion thread at the same time as the YouTube video. Our goal with the Vessel launch is to support it in addition to YouTube - not for it to replace YouTube. We don't want to exclude anyone that isn't either able or willing to pay the subscription fee for Vessel after the free period expires.

I'm sure there is a way we can facilitate it, but it will be done a bit differently than it is now.

How are subscriptions handled? Following the free year, do I subscribe to vessel and then they distribute a portion of my subscription to those I'm following, or can I use an affiliate link to send the content creator portion to a single channel?

Also, will there be an ad supported model for those that don't pay a la YouTube, or is the content behind a strict paywall?

Finally, do you know if there will be a download option for watching content offline?

Keep up the good work LMG, I can see why Linus was so busy this past week or two!

First off, everyone at linus media group, I think this is an awesome move. Even if its something small like a 5% increase in monthly revenue. This will increase the total income for the company and employees, increasing job security, and improving the quality of your product. Since a new video will be available every day; no one is left out, except people who feel they "need" to see a new video every day. And to them, get over it for all you know its new content. You do not have to see every movie at launch night, seeing it a week later does not diminish its quality. If you really "need" to see the content then support Linus's move to Vessel with its slight monetary cost! I love your videos, and keep up the work Linus media group!!!!!!

Vessel name: Thorhoffman

https://www.vessel.com/videos/G-DUjgUyYhttps://www.vessel.com/videos/JemZ8O7Hy 

The service is a major performance killer on my crappy school laptop. 

Otherwise, it's clean, similar to youtube in layout, already has a large quantity of channels already

Lookin good LMG, good luck!

EDIT: There doesn't seem to be an option for resolution, it only seems to be HD, or not HD?

haven't seen a mobile app for vessel? At least on Android

excellent

everything is pretty much preloaded, so changing back to their video page doesn't have to load a new webpage

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

will get used to vessel eventually :P keep going linus! with gud contents. will support you when I start earning money :)

So, If I already made a vessel account in anticipation of this move, What should i do?  Seems liek this one year promotion is only for new accounts, and it doesn't seem like I can delete an account... 

I signed up with your referral link with the same email that I created that account.  Should I not have?

I unfortunately can't register, pressing the sign up button just refreshes the page. Happens on firefox and chrome.

Try http://linustechtips.com/early

We expected their service to go down, so we added our own signup page. We will be passing on these database entries to them throughout the night and into tomorrow, and we're hoping that they will send account confirmations as soon as they can. Might take a bit longer, but at least we can still push signups through if their page goes down ^_^

I have run into an issue with vessel, one which i dont expect u guys to be able to fix, but just a heads up, your youtube videos loads just fine (even 1080p), but due to me living in malaysia, yes where u are now linus, vessel's video buffers really slowly, even without turning on HD   

I've already passed the feedback on to our Vessel rep. Being one of the first creators on the platform gives us a direct line to their creator support staff, who have been really helpful so far. I'll let you know if we hear back about this.

Does Vessel support 4k video? Just watching my first video on Vessel and it seems to be a pretty big quality drop from your guys' standard. 

At the moment I think it is 1080p, but they have been really open to our suggestions for higher resolution and higher bitrate options. Not sure when they can implement those, but we will be some of the first to know when they do.

I'm not a fan of vessel the format is really clunky

its trying too hard to be differant, also I'm not going to sign up just to watch one youtuber.

there might be heaps of others but yeah there mostly vlogger's

I would of preferred if you's started using patreon.

even if I decided to use vessel I am almost never going to go onto it since all the thing's i watch are on youtube.

edit: If you are going to put your video's behind a pay wall why dont you add it to this website? I would rather do that then vessel, also the stress about the unknown's of youtube - what happens when vessel get's big the same shit is going to happen.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

First off, everyone at linus media group, I think this is an awesome move. Even if its something small like a 5% increase in monthly revenue. This will increase the total income for the company and employees, increasing job security, and improving the quality of your product. Since a new video will be available every day; no one is left out, except people who feel they "need" to see a new video every day. And to them, get over it for all you know its new content. You do not have to see every movie at launch night, seeing it a week later does not diminish its quality. If you really "need" to see the content then support Linus's move to Vessel with its slight monetary cost! I love your videos, and keep up the work Linus media group!!!!!!

Vessel name: Thorhoffman

https://www.vessel.com/videos/G-DUjgUyY& https://www.vessel.com/videos/JemZ8O7Hy 

wrong post man http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/333925-platform-launch-and-massive-giveaway/

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken