Galaxy (FX-6300, GTX 970)

jordi_bear

Hey everyone on Linus (the god's) Tech Tips. I just built my first ever PC since I'm 15. And for me it's a huge achievement after going through serious depression and nearly killing myself :( to being in recovery and building my first PC and getting a job doing something I love so yeah :D  (I built it for gaming with a budget of $1810 by the way)

Specs:

AMD FX 6300 at small overclock of 4.2Ghz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer AM3+ Motherboard

1 x 8gb of Kingston Fury Red RAM

Kingston SSD 120Gb

Toshiba 1Tb hard drive

Galax GTX 970 OC Black Edition (haven't oced yet)

NZXT S340 Case

TP-Link Wireless-N PCI-Express TL WN881ND

Cooler Master G700 Non-Modular Power Supply 

ASUS VE247H Monitor

Cooler Master Devastator Bundle

and Elite Dangerous because it's fab  ;)

all for $1807 in AUD

Far Cry 3 runs at everything maxed out at 80 fps average at 1080p

Bioshock at the 60 fps cap without dropping everything maxed.

Haven't tried Elite Dangerous yet sadly, but I'll update when I do!

Furmark score at 1080p preset: 4054 68 fps average 

Thanks for reading, Jordi

Oh and add me on steam or something I don't know: jordi_bear333

Hey everyone on Linus (the god's) Tech Tips. I just built my first ever PC since I'm 15. And for me it's a huge achievement after going through serious depression and nearly killing myself :( to being in recovery and building my first PC and getting a job doing something I love so yeah :D  (I built it for gaming with a budget of $1810 by the way)

Specs:

AMD FX 6300 at small overclock of 4.2Ghz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer AM3+ Motherboard

1 x 8gb of Kingston Fury Red RAM

Kingston SSD 120Gb

Toshiba 1Tb hard drive

Galax GTX 970 OC Black Edition (haven't oced yet)

NZXT S340 Case

TP-Link Wireless-N PCI-Express TL WN881ND

Cooler Master G700 Non-Modular Power Supply 

ASUS VE247H Monitor

Cooler Master Devastator Bundle

and Elite Dangerous because it's fab  ;)

all for $1807 in AUD

Thanks for reading, Jordi

Oh and add me on steam or something I don't know: jordi_bear333

You chose the correct motherboard for an FX CPU, that being said, you probably should have asked around first before building your rig, because that CPU is going to be a limiter in games as its quite old (even though AMD still makes the damn things knowing that they aren't as good as they should be).

Edit: Yep, that CPU is the only thing I can see wrong with your computer, being a gaming rig a locked i5 would have been loads better, and perhaps 2x4GB sticks of RAM (2 so if 1 fails your computer is still useable).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Very nice! I am 15 as well and did a build not too long ago. I was on a limited budget, so here it is (including peripherals).

CPU: AMD A6 5400K (4 core), clocked at 3.6GHz.

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM.

MOBO: MSI A87M

GPU: Integrated

CASE: Thermaltake V4 tower with 500W  PSU

MONITOR: LG 21.5'' 1980x1080p

Keyboard: Logitech G105 gaming

Mouse: Gigabyte force m9 Wireless

This costed my $700. Now, I know a lot more and I realise I could've gotten a rig twice as powerful (in fps terms) for teh same price! Great build! :D

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|

Nice motherboard and don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the CPU. I would try and get it overclocked to 4.5ghz or above though as that's where they really shine.

You've got some upgrade room too, the 8320E is a fantastic chip and clocks like a demon :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

you poor foolish person even here in Australia you can do much better for that budget but oh well bad decisions have been made before and they will be made again 

Nice motherboard and don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the CPU. I would try and get it overclocked to 4.5ghz or above though as that's where they really shine.

You've got some upgrade room too, the 8320E is a fantastic chip and clocks like a demon :)

Thanks, I got it to the 4.2 and thought it was fine because it's still a 20% increase so yeah :)

Very nice! I am 15 as well and did a build not too long ago. I was on a limited budget, so here it is (including peripherals).

CPU: AMD A6 5400K (4 core), clocked at 3.6GHz.

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM.

MOBO: MSI A87M

GPU: Integrated

CASE: Thermaltake V4 tower with 500W  PSU

MONITOR: LG 21.5'' 1980x1080p

Keyboard: Logitech G105 gaming

Mouse: Gigabyte force m9 Wireless

This costed my $700. Now, I know a lot more and I realise I could've gotten a rig twice as powerful (in fps terms) for teh same price! Great build! :D

Yeah originally I was looking at $700 but then I got more money and yeah the build got much better :) your build is still better than console so who cares haha

You chose the correct motherboard for an FX CPU, that being said, you probably should have asked around first before building your rig, because that CPU is going to be a limiter in games as its quite old (even though AMD still makes the damn things knowing that they aren't as good as they should be).

Edit: Yep, that CPU is the only thing I can see wrong with your computer, being a gaming rig a locked i5 would have been loads better, and perhaps 2x4GB sticks of RAM (2 so if 1 fails your computer is still useable).

Thanks for the advice, I was just going for performance for price for now since I'll upgrade in the next year or so anyways and the guy at the tech store said it's fine for now and and FX-8350 was an extra $130 to the budget and the i5 was even more :/ I just blame Australia and Abbott. And I only got one stick for now so I can add another one later when I upgrade. Thanks for the advice

^^Honestly with that sort of budget you definitely should have gotten an Intel CPU otherwise it is a really good build.

In Aus the budget increases by heaps with an Intel, they're way overpriced here :(

Thanks for the advice, I was just going for performance for price for now since I'll upgrade in the next year or so anyways and the guy at the tech store said it's fine for now and and FX-8350 was an extra $130 to the budget and the i5 was even more :/ I just blame Australia and Abbott. And I only got one stick for now so I can add another one later when I upgrade. Thanks for the advice

I know what you mean about the prices, my i5 cost $262, but it was well worth it, and the only expenses after the initial $1100 was my GTX 970 ($565 ), my CX850 PSU, and another 8GB of RAM (maxing out Microsoft's limit for Win 7 Home Premium).

PMSL

Australian prices are shocking at the moment. In july 2011 I got my 2500k for $219, now the k model i5 is like $325... worse performance per $ after over 3.5 years.

2500K @ 4.5GHz | ASRock P67 Extreme 6 | 16GB Ram | GTX 750 Ti | 250gb SSD | 1TB+2TB HDD | 720W CoolerMaster PSU | Essense STX Sound Card | Define R5

Australian prices are shocking at the moment. In july 2011 I got my 2500k for $219, now the k model i5 is like $325... worse performance per $ after over 3.5 years.

i5 4690k

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k

Converted to AUD: $293.25

PMSL

Lol, your 970 gets an average of 80 fps max in 1080P (Far Cry 3), while my 770 gets an average of 48.

Groomlake Authority

i5 4690k

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k

Converted to AUD: $293.25

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_1490&products_id=27941

I was basing the price off the same place I brought my 2500k from.

2500K @ 4.5GHz | ASRock P67 Extreme 6 | 16GB Ram | GTX 750 Ti | 250gb SSD | 1TB+2TB HDD | 720W CoolerMaster PSU | Essense STX Sound Card | Define R5

Thanks, I got it to the 4.2 and thought it was fine because it's still a 20% increase so yeah :)

Yeah originally I was looking at $700 but then I got more money and yeah the build got much better :) your build is still better than console so who cares haha

I 100% agree! :D

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|