[Retro Build Log] ~ "NES, The Little Beast" ~

Noxz
On 17.4.2015 at 10:35 PM, ungreedy said:

starting to progress nice!

did you get your motherboard yet? Also what other parts are you waiting on?

last question what did you use to fill the bottom of the case with?

No mobo yet, going to Japan this summer. Most of my cash goes to my trip.  :D

This is the specs (might change)

Cpu : Intel i5-6600k (Already ordered)

Cpu cooler : Unknown, going to order some and use the one with the lowerst temps,

Mobo : Asus Maximus VIII Impact

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750Ti (Not ordered)

PSU : HDPlex 250w (Already ordered)

RAM : Unknown (Notordered)

SSD : An Intel 250/256 SSD (Already ordered)

Updated 8th of February 2016

Current Build Logs : ~ "The Future is Back" ~ "NES, The Little Beast" ~

z170l || i5-6600k || Noctua something cooler || 2x16gb ddr4 || msi 1050ti superlowprofile || hdplex 260w psu

No mobo yet, going to Japan this summer. Most of my cash goes to my trip.  :D

This is the specs (might change)

Cpu : Intel Pentium 3220 (Already ordered)

Cpu cooler : Unknown, going to order some and use the one with the lowerst temps,

Mobo : Unknown

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750Ti (Not ordered)

PSU : HDPlex 250w (Already ordered)

RAM : HyperX Red 4*2 Gb 1866MHz (Already ordered)

SSD : Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Not ordered)

I used some boat Epoxy with glassfibre, worked out fine.  ;)

sweet ,

my only advise would be don't get to deep in to the case modding with out your parts there. only some much room in that case. "I am speaking from experience here :) "

• 5 months later...

Heres a quick update :

I've ordered in some 1151 socket stuff and a small 950. If it fits I'll start taking more pictures for you guys.

Here's a beautiful shot of my process so far:

TjcWrBJ.jpg

z170l || i5-6600k || Noctua something cooler || 2x16gb ddr4 || msi 1050ti superlowprofile || hdplex 260w psu

• 2 months later...

So, hey guys!

These are the parts I've ordered (list will be updated):

CPUs :

Intel i5-6600k (Arrived)
Cryorig coolers (Arrived)

Mobos :
Asus Maximus VIII Impact (Arrived)
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming  (Arrived)

SSDs :
Intel 535 240 GB (Arrived)
Samsung Evo 950 PRO 256GB (Arrived)

Samsung Evo 840 250 GB (Arrived)

Ram :
2x4GB Crucial (Arrived)

GPU :
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750Ti Super Low Profile (Arrived)

PSUs :
NeGenuine 20V 17.5A 350W for HP FireBird (Arrived)

HDPlex 250w (Arrived)

HDPlex 160w (Arrived)

Fans :
Two 80mm fans and a 40mm fan I belive. (Arrived)

My plan is to take the Maximus and the 6600k and check if they can together with the Intel SSD and the GPU use less than 250w. If they're taking more than this I will have to try to connect both HDplex PSUs. But I'm not sure if this will work. If nothing works I'll take the Z170I with the Pentium and install everything on this mobo with the Samsung SSD and the Intel one.

Photos coming soon. Stay awesome, and feel free to share the buildlog  :wub:

The Z170 shouldn't work with the Pentium... The Pentium is LGA 1150 and the Z170 is LGA 1151 unless I'm mistaken.

^^ I was waiting for this..the i5 better work.

The Z170 shouldn't work with the Pentium... The Pentium is LGA 1150 and the Z170 is LGA 1151 unless I'm mistaken.

There are Pentium chips for skylake. However that pentium is 1150 :P

So, hey guys!

These are the parts I've ordered (list will be updated):

CPUs :

Intel i5-6600k (Arrived)

Intel Pentium G3258 (Arrived)

Mobos :

Asus Maximus VIII Impact (Arrived)

Asus Z170I Pro Gaming  (Shipped)

SSDs :

Intel 535 240 GB (Arrived)

Samsung Evo 950 PRO 256GB (Arrived)

Samsung Evo 840 250 GB (Arrived)

Ram :

2x4GB Crucial (Arrived)

GPU :

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750Ti Super Low Profile (Shipped)

PSUs :

NeGenuine 20V 17.5A 350W for HP FireBird (Shipped)

HDPlex 250w (Arrived)

HDPlex 160w (Arrived)

Fans :

Two 80mm fans and a 40mm fan I belive. (Arrived)

My plan is to take the Maximus and the 6600k and check if they can together with the Intel SSD and the GPU use less than 250w. If they're taking more than this I will have to try to connect both HDplex PSUs. But I'm not sure if this will work. If nothing works I'll take the Z170I with the Pentium and install everything on this mobo with the Samsung SSD and the Intel one.

Photos coming soon. Stay awesome, and feel free to share the buildlog  :wub:

If you push some airflow over the 250w HDPlex you'd be fine drawing a bit more than 250w, it's rated at 400w peak and I highly doubt you'll get close to that, if you even push close the rated 250w at all.

Plus the Pentium you have is for a different socket (1150 vs 1151) so you won't be able to use it with the boards you have

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

Ups, my bad. Fixed the typo* Intel Pentium G4400.

Great to know and glad that it shouldn't be an issue.

• 1 month later...

New update coming within the next few weeks! Sorry for taking so long, I'm kinda lazy.

Spoiler

Stuff I've got :

Loot from Cryorid

Powerbrick from HP

Asus Z170I

Some serverram (2x4GB DDR4)

Sleeving might be ordered, depends if I can afford it.

I'll bring the beauty to The Gathering if you want to see it in-real-life. R52, S33.

Stay awesome guys,

Noxz

Heyy guys! It's time for Update #5

I spraypainted the lower part of the NES with 4-6 layers with primer, and then 4-5 layers of solid white. I thought I could spray black ontop of the white layer to get a grey layer. But I've never been so wrong. I'm on the lookout for a beautiful grey color.

I've sold my Samsung 950PRO 256GB and I've bought an Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 SSD. Right now I'm using the NES, with a 840 combinded with a 850 in RAID 0. It dosent fit 100%, soo I'll have to go with the M.2 SSD and nothing but that SSD.

I drilled a 2mm hole and mounted the motherboard stands direcly into the plexiglass, it did make some terrible noises when doing so. But it worked out. No visual damages.

My camera just went potato mode for the first two (?) pictures, I'm sorry guys :3

Spoiler

P3010893.thumb.JPG.f5cbc30b2488ba2ebd6c8

Asus Z170I with 2x4GB Crucial ram installed, I will upgrade to 1x4GB + 1x8GB soon I belive.

P3010894.thumb.JPG.af0856373f0d4a5af06e2

The most beautiful SSD I've ever seen, I do kinda regret selling this beauty.

P3010895.thumb.JPG.54a875fe5b0331b1f1803

I got my hands on some of the best of the best low profile coolers, easy to mount and quite pretty aswell. I tried fitting the low-profile fan aswell inside the NES. But it were too high, without the fan it would'nt really close itself propperly, but with some pushing it together I managed to close the nes, without damaging the GPU or the cooler. I do really recommend Cryorig. I've got the C7 in my rig. I'll come out with temps and benchmarks later.

P3010896.thumb.JPG.cdfa4a9c6b080a0d1741d
Not sure what component that's 2mm too tall, but if I put something ontop of the nes then it's closing easily without damaging anything. :^) It works Ignore the terrible spraypaint - job.

P3010897.thumb.JPG.5e24a140d3674d6e03871

Just ignore that terrible spraypain job. :3 I kinda like it, ghetto, but awesome

P3010898.thumb.JPG.9befa0515dee82feed865

The amazing HD Plex powersupply did just barely fit infront of the GPU, with somewhat room for airflow. Look at the tiny GPU, and the tiny PSU. Omfg :^)

P3010900.thumb.JPG.c0ca82132fa6615cb5a0c
*I lost my camera, so I had to use a potato, sowwi*

P3010901.thumb.JPG.9cfa9ae863b5646dd84ee

I've made more room for the USB outlets on the backside, I'm not really thining on removing all of the plastic on the backside, I belive it will make the whole structure weak. The 60mm fan to the left will be swopped with a 40mm.

P3010902.thumb.JPG.94015d34320d4d85e1a7d

P3010903.thumb.JPG.0cf797a248640e1cce505

IT WORKS!! Temperatures and benchmarks coming soon.

What do you think? Leave a comment and share my buildlog with a pleb :3 <3

Anyone got any ideas for how to apply the dust filters to the fans? I'm not sure what I'm ordering yet, I'm thinking about superglue it stuck but that might make dust cleaning hard?

Thanks

I did a Fire Strike benchmark, take a look at it here, max temp on 40 degrees celcius ish

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7824653

That aint that bad, huh? Might be able to clock it abit futher.

• 5 weeks later...

Really neat! thinking of doing a build like this in the summer. (might be just me but your pictures in your last update seem to be missing) 

On 4/3/2016 at 0:20 AM, Noxz said:

Anyone got any ideas for how to apply the dust filters to the fans? I'm not sure what I'm ordering yet, I'm thinking about superglue it stuck but that might make dust cleaning hard?

Thanks

Doesn't m3 make some adhisive magnet striks? 

• 1 month later...
On 6.4.2016 at 10:20 PM, ihatecheez said:

Really neat! thinking of doing a build like this in the summer. (might be just me but your pictures in your last update seem to be missing) 

I know, I've been to lazy for updating the post xD sowwi guys <3

Update #6

lKNjbxl.jpg

jLbHmwO.jpg

Look at this lil tiny GPU, I love it :3 I hope they later on make a tiny version of the 1050 or something ^-^

4U1yyvA.jpg

I got both the C1 and the C7. the C7 did a extremly good job at cooling the CPU even it's a very compact and easy to install cooler. But I went with the C1 in the end due to it did perform even better, and It did fit just barely inside the case.

5oBGCRH.jpg

e7qjTmG.jpg

Big thanks and lots of love to Cryorig, I love them and their products. The C1 gave me better cooling results than the Noctua NH-L12! I forgot to save the results. xD

qfgBjDl.jpg

I love the colors on the fan when it's spins :3 c: Too bad I cant see it when I've closed the NES xD

ZSK2WAs.jpg

* note, I upgraded the the 512GB version later on.

gysRmCb.jpg

VqV9q2L.jpg

Zcgk1bS.jpg

Here you see the build with 2x 2.5" SSDs, these we're removed and I installed a 512GB Samsung 950 PRO m.2 to get less cables and lower power consuption.

DWPnYlD.jpg

Camera went potato mode here, sowwi

sKOES2w.jpg

I never use the ethernet plug, and I kinda fucked up with the USB 3.0, I've cutted all the plastic in the middle away and made enough place for the I-O shield. 

nZPQVZI.jpgInstalling the OS and IT WORKS! :3

At this point I managed to totally ruin the camera. But I spraypainted the NES again to make it look pretty. And here I'm located at The Gathering, in Hamar, Norway.

WM5AQTB.jpg

I'm not nearly done yet. The wires you see coming out of it is the on/off "button". I just short them and I turn the computer on. It do handle GTA V easyli on a 1440p monitor. But it can get kinda hot after some hours.

5rC3T4M.jpg

I might post a another update later :3 Love y'all <3