GPU for SC [970 vs 290]

Tehgoose
Go to solution Solved by nhatduy1611,

If this was 970 vs 290x then it will be close but vs a 290 the 970 is the clear winner here. A 970 is enough for 1080p gaming no need to sli right now

I am not sure what gpu to go with for running Star Citizen. I am not sure wether to go with the gtx 970 or AMD r9 290, is this enough for 1080p or will i need SLI/crossfire.

A 970 is much better than a 290...

Get it if you can afford it

one is enough for 1080p, no need for multiple GPUs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

when i saw the title i thought it was for starcraft one of these card will do fine for 1080p and the 970 is better than the 290 but if its out of your budget get the 290

If this was 970 vs 290x then it will be close but vs a 290 the 970 is the clear winner here. A 970 is enough for 1080p gaming no need to sli right now

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

I am not sure what gpu to go with for running Star Citizen. I am not sure wether to go with the gtx 970 or AMD r9 290, is this enough for 1080p or will i need SLI/crossfire.

i would wait as the game is still in alpha and the next patch looks as tho we will see some usage drops

I was thinking about it in terms of as the game progresses. With more content comming they probably will counter act with better optimization to make it playable on 1080p (max settings with good fps) on single card. For future, amd (4k lowish fps crossfire) or gtx (1080p single) unless new dx12 will come to rescue.

If you can wait, just as @rentaspoon suggested

I have 1x970 and dont know if I still Sli as I intended to.

I'm actually running SC on an MSI 290. It runs 1080p everything maxed out with an average of 55 fps. I am actually impressed by how it performs great for a pre-alpha non-optimized game. Sure, all my other games run at 75+fps average, but a 290 is OK for SC on 1080p in my book so far.

I'm actually running SC on an MSI 290. It runs 1080p everything maxed out with an average of 55 fps. I am actually impressed by how it performs great for a pre-alpha non-optimized game. Sure, all my other games run at 75+fps average, but a 290 is OK for SC on 1080p in my book so far.

And Chris Roberts said it will only get better when Mantle is added..

And Chris Roberts said it will only get better when Mantle is added..

I hope they give up on mantle and start working on DX12 and Vulkan. Mantle has done it's job and AMD say it shouldn't be used anymore.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

I hope they give up on mantle and start working on DX12 and Vulkan. Mantle has done it's job and AMD say it shouldn't be used anymore.

DX12 comes out on W10 and if that's bad people won't move on top of that mantle may end up more optimized on SC that DX12

I hope they give up on both mantle and directx12!

Why should they bother when they have vulkan which will work on any operating system and on all hardware.

I hope they give up on both mantle and directx12!

Why should they bother when they have vulkan which will work on any operating system and on all hardware.

Is SC planned for OSX and Linux ? If not, then they should stick to technologies optimized for Windows (DX12 for instance).

Is SC planned for OSX and Linux ? If not, then they should stick to technologies optimized for Windows (DX12 for instance).

It's announced for Linux yes.

Not OSX.

DX12 comes out on W10 and if that's bad people won't move on top of that mantle may end up more optimized on SC that DX12

As AMD said, Mantle is just a step up for other comapnies to use for their own API's. Like DX12 and Vulkan. So the basic form of Mantle will be used in those API's as well.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

As AMD said, Mantle is just a step up for other comapnies to use for their own API's. Like DX12 and Vulkan. So the basic form of Mantle will be used in those API's as well.

That's true but the last time I saw opengl used in a mass game as well as DX was half life, devs stick to whats popular plus Mantle is a step ahead of everyone else as we can use the tech now which means any possible improvements could be implemented in dx12.

And what about those who won't step up to windows 10 either?

we also seem to be ignoring that the r9 290 is cheaper than the 970; hell there are 290x's that are also cheaper that the cheapest 970.

If your not getting super into the game I would wait till release is closer. perhaps new cards will be out in your price range by then. Also we don't know how any of these cards will hold up in a massive multi-player environments.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Also we don't know how any of these cards will hold up in a massive multi-player environments.

Isn't that more CPU-bound?

Isn't that more CPU-bound?

unknown; to date no mmo's have used items with anywhere near the poly count or texture quality as those seen in StarCitizen.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

i get lag spikes on the 970 currently it uses over 3.5 in this case 3584 VRAM, so in this case the 290 will have smoother gameplay unless you want lag spikes that last like 5 seconds

post-29882-0-09163700-1427453308.gif

post-29882-0-09163700-1427453308.gif

lives on

BAKABT

i get lag spikes on the 970 currently it uses over 3.5 in this case 3584 VRAM, so in this case the 290 will have smoother gameplay unless you want lag spikes that last like 5 seconds

5 second lag spikes are likely when a ship loads into the game which is something everyone gets at this point, the first chunk of the GTX970s RAM is 3584MB so if your max is that then you probably aren't hitting the slower part ;)

5 second lag spikes are likely when a ship loads into the game which is something everyone gets at this point, the first chunk of the GTX970s RAM is 3584MB so if your max is that then you probably aren't hitting the slower part ;)

I do have this issue (worst since update 1.1) on my system as well. I run an MSI 290. Looking at my G13 LCD, my CPU spikes and then everything freezes. Keep in mind that Star Citizen isn't optimized yet...

A) what resolution etc are you playing at

2) why is your core clock at 135Mhz?

A) what resolution etc are you playing at

2) why is your core clock at 135Mhz?

He took the screen shot after leaving the game so his details are from 2D mode (you can see the drop in the graph) with the exception of memory which is set to show peak use :)

He took the screen shot after leaving the game so his details are from 2D mode (you can see the drop in the graph) with the exception of memory which is set to show peak use :)

But then the graph is half maxed? So unless that's a janky program it looks like its using 1/2 the memory. I wish peeps would just use MSI afterburner :\

I just heard of someone having freezing in the hangar (so unrelated to ships spawning) and they said currently if you have less than 12GB of system RAM 5-10 second freezes can happen (it wasn't affecting his dogfighting though, those hitches are still usually ships spawning), apparently if you have a SSD you can increase your page file size to alleviate it.

I cant comment from experience as I run 16GB of RAM but I have noticed my memory use going above 9GB while playing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2zppwh/psa_if_you_have_a_poorunplayable_frame_rate/