[Guide] A beginners guide to computer maintenance

Hi all!

I was doing some work for a client just recently and thought I would document what I was doing in case anyone was interested. So I put together a little guide on some computer maintenance, most specifically dust cleaning, cable management and thermal compound replacing.

Hopefully I have covered the basics if anyone wants to check it out, and I do understand everyone has their own method of doing things which is absolutely fine. I've just outlined my methods. Feel free to let me know yours!

Hopefully it assists someone out there!

http://www.enyxsolutions.co.uk/a-beginners-guide-to-computer-maintenance/

Let me know your thoughts!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

So, wheres the guide? :D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It is amazing how many people don't know how to do this.

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

So, wheres the guide? :D

Ninja  :ph34r:

I was typing in tags and accidently hit enter key before I was finished which submitted the form  :P

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Proper maintenance should include drives and ram checks, also replacing thermal compound is not necessary so often, if u're not overclocking.

The before and after pictures of the cable management made my day. :) Cool guide by the way.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Proper maintenance should include drives and ram checks, also replacing thermal compound is not necessary so often, if u're not overclocking.

I would agree with the drive and RAM, however a beginner would not know how to do PROPER checks of these, hence I left them out. 

I will have to disagree with the thermal compound however, I see stock machines on a regular basis that benefit from having the thermal paste replaced.

The before and after pictures of the cable management made my day. :) Cool guide by the way.

Thanks for the kind words!

The before is what happens when the customer replaces one part themselves every so often which then amounts to this!

I would agree with the drive and RAM, however a beginner would not know how to do PROPER checks of these, hence I left them out. 

I will have to disagree with the thermal compound however, I see stock machines on a regular basis that benefit from having the thermal paste replaced.

Yes, it depends on cpu's. I didn't replace my compound for about 4 years, after setting up current build. Gonna replace it this summer, when I'll be replacing cpu, mobo and other stuff.

I've lost all the data once, when my 1tb hdd crashed, had to get all the stuff from github and recover, all the photos where lost. 

Also it's very hard to get a new hdd in the christmas evening. After that I'm using NAS and pretty sure about my data safety.

I like it. I know this stuff, but now I have something to print up to help teach my 14 yo son. I am having him help build my next computer. I printed up these instructions to go into my binder of "Computer building and relative stuff." So that he will have a reference guide to look at. I now have over 500 pages of information printed up for this. Only problem us trying to find recent guides, less than 2 years old, to put into it. Technology moves so fast. Good thing that some information is relevant to today's standards, even if some of the guides are getting old. This one will be relevant for a while.

Thanks

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

I usually just do a fresh install all 6 month for keeping everything fresh and I do a disassembly reassembly every year for keeping it as new 

I like it. I know this stuff, but now I have something to print up to help teach my 14 yo son. I am having him help build my next computer. I printed up these instructions to go into my binder of "Computer building and relative stuff." So that he will have a reference guide to look at. I now have over 500 pages of information printed up for this. Only problem us trying to find recent guides, less than 2 years old, to put into it. Technology moves so fast. Good thing that some information is relevant to today's standards, even if some of the guides are getting old. This one will be relevant for a while.

Thanks

Thanks for your kind words, even if I've helped one person then I'm happy to write them up to show. Makes it worth while. Let me know if you have any requests for any more upcoming topics, I'd be happy to write something up. 

I usually just do a fresh install all 6 month for keeping everything fresh and I do a disassembly reassembly every year for keeping it as new 

That's a good way to do it!

Do you still need to replace the thermal compound if you use stock cooling for the CPU? IIRC mine has like thermal pads or something on the fan

Do you still need to replace the thermal compound if you use stock cooling for the CPU? IIRC mine has like thermal pads or something on the fan

I would depending on how long it's been on for, put it this way - it won't do any harm to check and apply more anyways. What's your CPU?

I would depending on how long it's been on for, put it this way - it won't do any harm to check and apply more anyways. What's your CPU?

i5-3470

i5-3470

I would say depending on how long you've been running it for it might be worth doing, it certainly won't do any harm!

Some people need a guide that goes like this:

Do you feel comfortable opening the side panel of your "tower".

No? Bring it to me. Don't try to fix it or clean it. Don't "Oh, I vacuumed it out and now its a black screen". 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Hi all!

I was doing some work for a client just recently and thought I would document what I was doing in case anyone was interested. So I put together a little guide on some computer maintenance, most specifically dust cleaning, cable management and thermal compound replacing.

Hopefully I have covered the basics if anyone wants to check it out, and I do understand everyone has their own method of doing things which is absolutely fine. I've just outlined my methods. Feel free to let me know yours!

Hopefully it assists someone out there!

http://www.enyxsolutions.co.uk/a-beginners-guide-to-computer-maintenance/

Let me know your thoughts!

I know how to clean my PC i just dont know when i should clean dust and replace thermal compound can you tell me?

Some people need a guide that goes like this:

Do you feel comfortable opening the side panel of your "tower".

No? Bring it to me. Don't try to fix it or clean it. Don't "Oh, I vacuumed it out and now its a black screen". 

Hahahaha! Have to admit I did laugh a little at this. It rings to many bells!

I know how to clean my PC i just dont know when i should clean dust and replace thermal compound can you tell me?

It's all dependent on many factors. How could is the airflow through your case? Are all the intakes filtered? When did you last do it? Thermal compound is the same as its effectiveness and lifespan depends on the brand previously used. I'd say do the thermal compound at least once a year just so you know it's done.

Hahahaha! Have to admit I did laugh a little at this. It rings to many bells!

Honestly, I think the PC repair market is growing. The number of kids who have no idea how a desktop or laptop operates is astonishing, and is much worse than 10-15 years ago. This generation is growing up to be Phone and tablet users. So, assuming desktops and laptops dont dissapear completely, the need for people who know about computers should grow. 

Now, the flip side... is that laptops could cease to exist, and desktops will only be owned by power users who know their stuff anyway....::shrugs::

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I like your guide but it might be useful to offer recommendations on software to keep your computer in top shape. In my personal experience 95% of the issues most people suffer from (when they use windows) on their computers comes from non-hardware issues. This includes defragging hdds, cleaning cookies, uninstalling extra software and bloatware, stopping random programs from autostarting, and removing toolbars from browsers. Also an explanation as to when to do maintenance and how often might be handy. I can only imagine the poor guy who misunderstands and thinks apply fresh thermal paste is something that should be weekly. Finally you might want to bold your warning about vacuuming computers because that will reduce the chances of people skipping over your warning.

I like your guide but it might be useful to offer recommendations on software to keep your computer in top shape. In my personal experience 95% of the issues most people suffer from (when they use windows) on their computers comes from non-hardware issues. This includes defragging hdds, cleaning cookies, uninstalling extra software and bloatware, stopping random programs from autostarting, and removing toolbars from browsers. Also an explanation as to when to do maintenance and how often might be handy. I can only imagine the poor guy who misunderstands and thinks apply fresh thermal paste is something that should be weekly. Finally you might want to bold your warning about vacuuming computers because that will reduce the chances of people skipping over your warning.

Thanks for your feedback, I will most certainly take them on board. I'll bold the warning just now. 

Covering software is something I would certainly cover in the future I just chose to omit it from this as I was focussing mainly on hardware at the moment.

Thanks again for your comment!

Thanks for your feedback, I will most certainly take them on board. I'll bold the warning just now. 

Covering software is something I would certainly cover in the future I just chose to omit it from this as I was focussing mainly on hardware at the moment.

Thanks again for your comment!

You're welcome. I like it when people offer learning guides on subjects as every new guide offers recommendations that one might not see elsewhere and every new guide gives a new style to help make the topic click with the reader.