Is Destiny a good game and worth buying the DLC etc.?

GrimNeo

In my opinion, a good game is something that will keep you hooked. There must be something good if you just keep playing it, right? Destiny did that for me. I've sunk more than a day's worth of in game time into the game (would probably be more if it came out in the summer and I had XBone friends). I have spent all of this time in the PvE. Maybe two hours of it was in PvP, maybe. I would recommend the base game if you're into watching your levels and damage outputs go up. Because, I'll admit, it is a grind fest.

Will it last 10 years? I'd be honestly surprised. Something new and shiny will come out and we'll abandon it. It isn't like WoW which had a stranglehold on the market before it really matured.

In terms of the DLC, I enjoy it just because they center a lot of daily/weekly things around it. Plus, more story missions!

Hope I could be of some help!

TL;DR: Game can be addictive. I really enjoy it. Don't think it'll last 10 years. DLC = Yes if you can spare the change.

// Don't forget to enter a concise, possibly witty statement about yourself

IMHO Destiny is crap, If we keep buying these awful games the developers, publishers whatever are going to keep making nothing but crap. Just saying :)

destiny is awesome!!!!

Why is it awesome? Sounds like a major grindfest and for what raid gear. Can you give me any reasons to buy it?

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

it will give u more than 2 hours of gameplay, and at minimum something to do when your bored

Destiny is a prime example of what's wrong with games today, devs release a mediocre game then they release tons of dlc for things that should be in the game in the first place.  :angry:

it will give u more than 2 hours of gameplay, and at minimum something to do when your bored

Every game I have played has given me more than 2 hours of gameplay. Can you list the pros and cons of Destiny? I don't want to play a crap game when I'm bored and not many people say its good.

Destiny is a prime example of what's wrong with games today, devs release a mediocre game then they release tons of dlc for things that should be in the game in the first place.  :angry:

Almost every game does this now. :(

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I bought it on launch day and was very excited for it, and it was fun for the first couple of hours, but having no friends to play it with and the fact that it was just unfinished made me feel like it wasn't worth that $70 price tag plus the extra money for the stupid DLC. I sold it a couple of weeks after launch.

Overall I'd give Destiny a 5/10, it wasn't that great, was really repetitive, but the few good things that were in there saved it from a lower score.

If you want it for the single player I would say it isn't worth it. It's pretty repetitive but for me, the multiplayer is just what I was looking for. It's pretty similar to Halo but with RPG aspects. I think that as long as they produce content for it people will keep playing it.

Black/Red Beast: CPU: i7 4790k Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 1866 HyperFury X SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo 840

Just say NO.

Say NO to the "test how much we can screw the customer out of" game. That's all it is, a benchmark for future console "MMO's". For them to see "well....if we cut the storyline into 16ths, and charge X amount of dollars for each bit of the story, we can make more money! I wonder if people will buy it?"

JUST SAY NO.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I bought it on launch day and was very excited for it, and it was fun for the first couple of hours, but having no friends to play it with and the fact that it was just unfinished made me feel like it wasn't worth that $70 price tag plus the extra money for the stupid DLC. I sold it a couple of weeks after launch.

Overall I'd give Destiny a 5/10, it wasn't that great, was really repetitive, but the few good things that were in there saved it from a lower score.

Just say NO.

Say NO to the "test how much we can screw the customer out of" game. That's all it is, a benchmark for future console "MMO's". For them to see "well....if we cut the storyline into 16ths, and charge X amount of dollars for each bit of the story, we can make more money! I wonder if people will buy it?"

JUST SAY NO.

This is the thing with Destiny. From the outset, it seemed like a great game with a proper story.

Emphasis on 'it seemed'.

The content was cut, storyline is third of what it was suppose to be (each race was suppose to have a different story) and planets that were suppose to be accessible are not.

This combined with the matchmaking disaster just meant that a lot were alienated.

True, there have been fixes and someone has come up with a way to make the matchmaking seamless on an external site (don't ask me how but it will automatically throw you in a party with the inviter from the website / app) but it is difficult to shake the feeling that it was rushed in many ways. I got the impression that they wanted to do more but ran out of time, motivation and/or money.

It can be a grindfest in many ways but the PvP side is fun. Raiding is fun with a good team. Thing is; with many of the teams you'll be pulling your hair when you can't shout commands to your PvP team or the raid team has that one or two guys who are just plain dorks.

So, if you like to shoot stuff and play as a team; by all means, get it. But make sure you either have friends already playing or join a decent clan that can help you with the gap between 20 and 32.

This is the thing with Destiny. From the outset, it seemed like a great game with a proper story.

Emphasis on 'it seemed'.

The content was cut, storyline is third of what it was suppose to be (each race was suppose to have a different story) and planets that were suppose to be accessible are not.

This combined with the matchmaking disaster just meant that a lot were alienated.

True, there have been fixes and someone has come up with a way to make the matchmaking seamless on an external site (don't ask me how but it will automatically throw you in a party with the inviter from the website / app) but it is difficult to shake the feeling that it was rushed in many ways. I got the impression that they wanted to do more but ran out of time, motivation and/or money.

It can be a grindfest in many ways but the PvP side is fun. Raiding is fun with a good team. Thing is; with many of the teams you'll be pulling your hair when you can't shout commands to your PvP team or the raid team has that one or two guys who are just plain dorks.

So, if you like to shoot stuff and play as a team; by all means, get it. But make sure you either have friends already playing or join a decent clan that can help you with the gap between 20 and 32.

I'm still on the "everyone boycott this game" team. It's nothing but a way for companies to test "how much more can we fuck the customer, and still sell the game through hype".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm still on the "everyone boycott this game" team. It's nothing but a way for companies to test "how much more can we fuck the customer, and still sell the game through hype".

That is fair, this was the game that broke my back with preorders. Never again.

Haven't touched it in few weeks now and as much as I like shooting stuff the game is effectively empty and massively repetitive.

If I seem more pessimistic today it's because it's my first day in after 2 weeks of holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is. I have it on Xbox One and am loving it. But everyone is different.