Is Destiny a good game and worth buying the DLC etc.?

GrimNeo

Is it worth buying Destiny? Can someone please comment and let me know if you liked/disliked the game. Do you think it will last 10 years?

destiny-gh-website-banner.jpg?t=14098973

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Is it worth buying Destiny? Can someone please comment and let me know if you liked/disliked the game. Do you think it will last 10 years?

Didn't care for it, wouldn't buy DLC based on the Base game. And if it did last 10 years, I would be beyond shocked.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Warframe is better. And it's free.

I think the series is intended to last 10 years, Destiny 2 is already in the works (doesn't mean its coming out in the next few more years though).

That game was all hype imo. I played a bit at my friends house and it wasn't all that great. That was at launch tho maybe they've added something worth while.

Yes, corresponding to other answers, it doesnt live up to the hype, and even though i dont play it, i heard that its boring in the long run.

I like the conseption of it, i would if i could play it on my PC :)

Bought it and its DLC and have to say I regret it.  PvP isn't great, server errors are a nightmare, and content doesn't seem to last that long. Will play again when next expansion comes out to get my moneys worth, but I don't see me or my friends playing it.  Its a chore now to get on and finish the Raids/Weekly content.

I like it :) I think its decent, but its definitely not a 10/10 must play, the story is not fleshed out enough for me, and the game can get repetitive

Whats there is good, just not enough of it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

graphics and game mechanics are great but story sucks and missions are repetitive

Warframe is better. And it's free.

Thank you. I downloaded Warframe last night for my PC. I read the steam page for it and the only thing I saw from the reviews was that it's a major grind fest. Can you confirm this? I'm okay with grinding but I don't want to grind for over 100 plus hours just to get nothing in return.

Bought it and its DLC and have to say I regret it.  PvP isn't great, server errors are a nightmare, and content doesn't seem to last that long. Will play again when next expansion comes out to get my moneys worth, but I don't see me or my friends playing it.  Its a chore now to get on and finish the Raids/Weekly content.

I was looking forward to PvP. Sucks to here about that. I am not a fan of Raids/dailies.

I like it :) I think its decent, but its definitely not a 10/10 must play, the story is not fleshed out enough for me, and the game can get repetitive

Whats there is good, just not enough of it

How do you compare it to other MMO games? I know you have played a lot of games and your response will help me. Thanks again Captain.

graphics and game mechanics are great but story sucks and missions are repetitive

From what I have seen the story is bad and the raids/dailies seem very repetitive. Thanks for your input all.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Thank you. I downloaded Warframe last night for my PC. I read the steam page for it and the only thing I saw from the reviews was that it's a major grind fest. Can you confirm this? I'm okay with grinding but I don't want to grind for over 100 plus hours just to get nothing in return.

It's a grindfest but it's a fun grind. Least to me anyways. It's like a hack n slash type grind of Diablo.

It's a grindfest but it's a fun grind. Least to me anyways. It's like a hack n slash type grind of Diablo.

What with the $219.96 of dlc? Did you buy any of the DLC?

What with the $219.96 of dlc? Did you buy any of the DLC?

Nah don't get that. It's just the packages they have. Some of the things included in the packages are useless once you play the game a lot. Just save your money until you get to the point where you're like "Well, I don't feel like grinding for <this> so I guess I'll pay for it."

How do you compare it to other MMO games? I know you have played a lot of games and your response will help me. Thanks again Captain.

I dont like MMOs, this is honestly nothing like one, it feels more like Halo in a borderlands style open world with different areas 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Massive let down compared to what I thought it would be. Shame that they basically nerfed all the story content for DLC/whatever the hell the reason they cut the story to shreds.
I like to imagine that in game the traveller is still revealed to be the darkness and that the Guardians are basically space Nazi's brainwashed to help it.

Enjoyed it for about a month, haven't played it since. Though I will note that the control scheme is amazing. Hard to go back to Halo etc now, it all just feels so slow and inorganic.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

I guess I should say, I'm at the games max level (atm). The game IS a total grindfest. If you ever grinded a lot on an MMO and got to max level, you might like this. But if you're looking for another FPS.. This is probably not for you. But if it is, I can explain some things. So I should say that there is a 'campaign', but it's beatable in ~1 day and it's extremely easy if your experienced with FPS games. Well, anyway, after you beat the game, that should set you around lv. 20 and after that, it's a total grind. What you need to level up is something called 'light' which is attached to armor. And to get high light armor you need to repeatedly do strikes(kind of like dungeons in WoW) and raids which will give you engrams(engrams are concealead items which are unveiled by the cryptarch at the tower). I've did enough raids to get all of the raid set gear for the DLC which is the best armor you can get atm. With all of that armor (fully upgraded) I'm at lv. 32. And if you're into PvP, The PVP isn't that bad tbh.. I like it, personally.

Another thing I should say is that this game is NOT an MMO. Even though 

Current Build: (protege) Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz (1.264v) | Corsair H75 | Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 | MSI GeForce GTX 970 4(3.5)gb Twin Frozr (Soon to be 380x) | Corsair RM750 Laptop: AMD A6-4400m | Toshiba 500gb HD | Radeon HD 7520g

I dont like MMOs, this is honestly nothing like one, it feels more like Halo in a borderlands style open world with different areas 

Thank you

Massive let down compared to what I thought it would be. Shame that they basically nerfed all the story content for DLC/whatever the hell the reason they cut the story to shreds.

I like to imagine that in game the traveller is still revealed to be the darkness and that the Guardians are basically space Nazi's brainwashed to help it.

Enjoyed it for about a month, haven't played it since. Though I will note that the control scheme is amazing. Hard to go back to Halo etc now, it all just feels so slow and inorganic.

I heard it was a letdown as well. Thank you.

I guess I should say, I'm at the games max level (atm). The game IS a total grindfest. If you ever grinded a lot on an MMO and got to max level, you might like this. But if you're looking for another FPS.. This is probably not for you. But if it is, I can explain some things. So I should say that there is a 'campaign', but it's beatable in ~1 day and it's extremely easy if your experienced with FPS games. Well, anyway, after you beat the game, that should set you around lv. 20 and after that, it's a total grind. What you need to level up is something called 'light' which is attached to armor. And to get high light armor you need to repeatedly do strikes(kind of like dungeons in WoW) and raids which will give you engrams(engrams are concealead items which are unveiled by the cryptarch at the tower). I've did enough raids to get all of the raid set gear for the DLC which is the best armor you can get atm. With all of that armor (fully upgraded) I'm at lv. 32. And if you're into PvP, The PVP isn't that bad tbh.. I like it, personally.

Another thing I should say is that this game is NOT an MMO. Even though 

Can you please explain why the game is not an MMO? btw thank you.

Nah don't get that. It's just the packages they have. Some of the things included in the packages are useless once you play the game a lot. Just save your money until you get to the point where you're like "Well, I don't feel like grinding for <this> so I guess I'll pay for it."

Alright, thank you for the advice.

Alright, thank you for the advice.

Forgot to mention too, that some of the cosmetic items are not attainable with gameplay, so they must be purchased on the store, IE; Syandanas, color palettes, etc. 

It's not because it's not massive. at all. max players in one session is 16 (I think) and that's at the main hub. Raids require 6 people and Strikes require 3. On top of that, the maps aren't really big either. All in all, it's hit or miss. You may like it, you may hate it. The majority of people that played it don't like it, but you might. I didn't think i'd like it and I'm still meh on it even though i'm max level.

Current Build: (protege) Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz (1.264v) | Corsair H75 | Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 | MSI GeForce GTX 970 4(3.5)gb Twin Frozr (Soon to be 380x) | Corsair RM750 Laptop: AMD A6-4400m | Toshiba 500gb HD | Radeon HD 7520g

Servers are relatively small compared to MMOs. Each team has 16, which for the entire server results in 32 (duh), so if you don't consider "Conquest Small" on Battlefield 4 an MMO, then Destiny isn't an MMO.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

It's not because it's not massive. at all. max players in one session is 16 (I think) and that's at the main hub. Raids require 6 people and Strikes require 3. On top of that, the maps aren't really big either. All in all, it's hit or miss. You may like it, you may hate it. The majority of people that played it don't like it, but you might. I didn't think i'd like it and I'm still meh on it even though i'm max level.

Cool thanks.

Servers are relatively small compared to MMOs. Each team has 16, which for the entire server results in 32 (duh), so if you don't consider "Conquest Small" on Battlefield 4 an MMO, then Destiny isn't an MMO.

Never played Destiny and never read or watched anything about the game. My friend said its an mmofps so I was wondering. Thanks for your input. My friend said its the best game ever made and that everyone is wrong about it being a bad game.

Edit: He also said no one else's opinion matters because he has played more games than everyone and he has been playing games since 1990. I was just wondering if it's worth the $75 price tag for the game and dlc. I value all your suggestions/recommendations. Thanks all

My biggest complaint with destiny is raids. I played at launch, there was no voice chat in game, no lfg tool, so to get a raid group you had to goto your computer, go to the forums make a post of what you were looking for ie. A raid. People would then say they were interested, you would then add them to friends list, to invite one person. Then swap over to parry chat. Or you could use your smart phone.

All of that for me to get a random raid going took probably 1 hour sometimes took even longer.

Pvp was the only saving grace for me, but it didn't last long. The iron banner was a let down for people with the bis for their class and playstyle. The game slowly started to feel empty around the new cod launch. Haven't played since so things might have changed.

My biggest complaint with destiny is raids. I played at launch, there was no voice chat in game, no lfg tool, so to get a raid group you had to goto your computer, go to the forums make a post of what you were looking for ie. A raid. People would then say they were interested, you would then add them to friends list, to invite one person. Then swap over to parry chat. Or you could use your smart phone.

All of that for me to get a random raid going took probably 1 hour sometimes took even longer.

Pvp was the only saving grace for me, but it didn't last long. The iron banner was a let down for people with the bis for their class and playstyle. The game slowly started to feel empty around the new cod launch. Haven't played since so things might have changed.

Thanks for your input. From what I read this game is not worth my money or time.

Bought it, played it, kinda meh about it. It's a pretty game but I don't see it lasting a decade. It's one of those very forgettable games, like Titanfall.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Bought it, played it, kinda meh about it. It's a pretty game but I don't see it lasting a decade. It's one of those very forgettable games, like Titanfall.

I might of bought it if they made it for PC. Just not a fan of the controller for FPS/RPG games.