HP Pavilion Revamp: Plan B

QueenDemetria
My story:
I hate to say this, but I actually enjoyed my HP Pavilion(p6210f). That is, until the true HP feeling kicked in. I'm not sure why, but owning a HP is like a high school relationship. Its fun, cute, and starts off great, but then your partner does something to set you off and it all goes down hill from there. I did some bad things, the computer did some bad things, it just wasn't working out for us(lol). The great thing about computers though is that unlike a high school relationship, a screwdriver and patience can solve all of the problems....at least most of them. 

My Goal:
Honestly my biggest problem with my computer is the motherboard. Its just bad, that's the best way to describe it. The power supply also needs to be replaced, its been making a weird “humming” sound under load. I would also like to switch out my storage device for a real SSD/HDD setup, the RAM drive is fun to mess with but not practical for a daily usage computer. Pretty much I just want to make this a better PC with only using parts from previous PC's and to get some experience with painting and cutting metal(with a die grinder). 

CPU: Athlon II X4 620 at 2.6Ghz
Motherboard: Pegatron M2N78-LA
RAM: 2x 512Mb Hynix + 2x 2048Mb Kingston LP
PSU: 300w LiteON Genric OEM (PS-5301-08HA)   
Storage: ACard ANS-9010 w/ 32Gb of Crucial RAM, 64Gb Adtron, LG Super-Multi DVD+/-RW
Case: 2009 era HP base model 
GPU: Integrated Geforce 9100 Chipset(8 Cuda cores, 256Mb DDR2 128 bit, unknown clock speeds)

CPU: Athlon II X4 620 at 3.1+Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
RAM: 4x 2048Mb Kingston LP / 4x 4096Mb Crucial
PSU: 600w OCZ Technology (OCZGXS600)
Storage: 1Tb WD Black, 160Gb WD White drive(OEM), 32Gb Gmonster SSD, 64Gb Adtron
Case: 2009 era HP base model w/ mods and re-paint
GPU: Galaxy 9500 gt (I should note: I will be using a 550 ti in this computer for a while, until I can fix the pump in my main rig).

Before I get too far, here it is in all of its glory:
tT2sfwM.jpg
And yes I have been using it without its front panel. Why? Well the RAM drive barely fit, but since this case has poor airflow the RAM drive also over heated. My solution was to turn the drive up side down and use a Evercool Fox-3 blower fan to give it some air flow. This came at a cost, since the blower fan got in the way of the front panel, so I chose the easiest option that prevented my PC from catching on fire(joking of course).
The RAM drive wasn't the only thing that overheated, the Geforce 9100 chipset did too. Here were the idle temps without modifications:
XXgH85Q.png
I tried adding a 40mm fan , but it was too loud and too ineffective. I came up with a genius idea: why not use long standoffs and mount a 80mm fan. The fan was silent, and the temps were much better(still concerning though):
ij6fgZc.png
and here is the mod:
NeicU5t.jpg
This does come at a cost though, and its that I cant mount a GPU since the fan is in the way, so I figure swapping out the motherboard will solve two problems. 

To kick this thing off, I have already torn apart my machine and test fitted most of the components, but now its time to put my die grinder to use. Can anybody guess what I am planning?:
ggui8em.jpg
Note: At the top corner I have already started cutting.

@Subduck
@dr_deconstruct
@hypnodog
@DildorTheDecent
@QuadCore

Must follow, must see where this goes :D

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You should dip the mobo Hot Pink. 

Also try and put the tags in a line. I have followed though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

DIY, Does it exist anything better?

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Oh experience with painting and cutting could help with future builds indeed.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Looks pretty clean for having a open case and a fan by it can't wait to see what you do with it.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

Tags didnt work for me.. oh well, still found it :)

That HP-highschool analogy though.. best thing I've ever heard :D

Cant wait to see how this turns out. Le subbed!

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

That looks exactly like my old pc before i built my gaming rig :P Hope this turns out well :)

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

You should dip the mobo Hot Pink. 

Also try and put the tags in a line. I have followed though. 

I would, but that's too much work for this project and I want to keep it blue. I'll do two pink builds later on though :) Also I have plans for the old motherboard, it might involve dipping it in oil, for science :).

DIY, Does it exist anything better?

Its pretty hard to beat, but I'm sure Demi Lovato and chocolate is better, lol.

Oh experience with painting and cutting could help with future builds indeed.

Yep, which is why I am "testing" with this POS case lol. My painting skills aren't too bad(I just have to work on my patience), but my cutting skills are pretty rough(which you will see in the next set of pictures lol).

Looks pretty clean for having a open case and a fan by it can't wait to see what you do with it.

Yeah, I am a clean freak lol. I hate seeing dust in PC's :P

That HP-highschool analogy though.. best thing I've ever heard :D

Lol, I was hoping someone would notice :) When I was thinking of things to write, it just came to mind and I was like "perfect", lol.

Welp, my project will be delayed for a bit. About half way through cutting a hole in the front of my case, my air compressor decided that it also wanted to function as a smoke machine, so now I cant do any cutting or painting. I'll have to take my compressor back tonight but I'll probably upgrade to something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2-HP-125-PSI-Oil-Lube-Air-Compressor-68740.html#pr-header-back-to-top-link

In the meantime though I'm thinking about what colors I should paint my PC. I'm thinking either blue and black or white and gold. Actually it doesn't matter what color I paint it, because people will just argue that its another color. Lol, I keed, but I am painting it blue and light blue, I'm just not sure how yet. I made this last night and I'm leaning towards the right one, but they both look good IMO:

aodfN0o.jpg

That's a shame about the compressor, oh well. I like the dark blue, I would probably did it just in dark blue/black  :)

Btw did you do the concept in a photoshop or elsewhere ? It looks really well done. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I love the dark blue :D

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

In the meantime though I'm thinking about what colors I should paint my PC. I'm thinking either blue and black or white and gold. Actually it doesn't matter what color I paint it, because people will just argue that its another color. Lol, I keed, but I am painting it blue and light blue, I'm just not sure how yet. I made this last night and I'm leaning towards the right one, but they both look good IMO:

~~

LOL.

If anything, I'm following this thread not for the build, but for the jokes xD

Anyways, I like the idea of white and gold. Maybe all white and some gold trim? Make it look really high end IMO. Or black with some light blue trim? That would look really cool too. Of the two edited pictures you posted, I like the right one. Light blue > dark blue

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Hey @QueenDemetria what kind of cutting tool are you using that requires a compressor? I thought you were doing it with a dremel really.

Also Dark Blue one looks real mad!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Sexy. Also, left pic looks better IMO.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

LOL.

If anything, I'm following this thread not for the build, but for the jokes xD

Anyways, I like the idea of white and gold. Maybe all white and some gold trim? Make it look really high end IMO. Or black with some light blue trim? That would look really cool too. Of the two edited pictures you posted, I like the right one. Light blue > dark blue

Lol, I have enough paint to do the entire case white, but I want to leave it black.

Hey @QueenDemetria what kind of cutting tool are you using that requires a compressor? I thought you were doing it with a dremel really.

Also Dark Blue one looks real mad!

I'm using a die grinder with arbor and 3" cutting wheel. Its not the most ideal tool for precision work, but it gets the job done I guess :)

eAMltp9.jpg

Sexy. Also, left pic looks better IMO.

Thanks, I hope it turns out like the pictures lol. I haven't decided what paint scheme I want to go with, but they are both good IMO. I'm just butthurt that I wasn't able to get pink lol

I haven't decided what paint scheme I want to go with, but they are both good IMO.

Personally i would go with the dark blue. It looks much better. And if you want to you can always theme the build to that colour and it would look awesome.

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

One thing that has always irked me about this case was its terrible airflow. It wasn't an issue with its stock configuration, but with a overclocked Athlon and Fermi based nVidia card planned, I don't want to have another fireball with this project. My solution? Cut a huge hole and mount a fan :D 

9TySESO.jpg

The area I masked off was roughly the size of a 120mm fan, but the entire thing had to go since it was a funky shape. 4 cuts, 2 compressors, and a whole lot of hours later, and I ended up with this:

Khp58AR.jpg

And tomorrow I hope to end up with something like this:

VXeubDz.jpg

I need to clean up the edges and drill some holes, but after I add the fan mount I should be ready to install all of the components. The front panel still needs some paint and I have something special planned for the side panel, but those can wait for now(I reaaaaly need a PC to game on, I cant stand my Xbox).

And if you are wondering where I am going to mount my HDD's since I cut off the mount today, stay tuned  B).

And if you are wondering where I am going to mount my HDD's since I cut off the mount today, stay tuned  B).

I am smelling some ghetto brackets. :D

Don't question my sense of smell !

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler