Pentium G3258 vs i3 (i3 4130)

Does the OC of the Pentium compensate the lack of HT? Which one would be better for gaming?

And L3 Cache 3 vs 4MB? 

Edit:

What do you thing of the Intel Core i3 4150? Is it good enought or would it be worth it to get one with 3.6 instead of 3.5Ghz and 1MB more L3 cache?

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Get the i3 if you want to play Far Cry 4...

The i3 will be better for gaming.

EDIT: More cache is better

Overall the i3 is the better choice. 

The G3258 is really just a stop-gap cpu or for use in very specific games (that are solely single threaded) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They are similar in per core performance, the i3 has hyper-threading though :) i3 would probably be better. 

Get the i3 if you want to play Far Cry 4...

The i3 will be better for gaming.

What do you thing of the Intel Core i3 4150? Is it good enought or would it be worth it to get one with 3.6 instead of 3.5Ghz and 1MB more L3 cache?

Overall the i3 is the better choice. 

The G3258 is really just a stop-gap cpu or for use in very specific games (that are solely single threaded) 

What do you mean with stop-gap?

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

A 4.5GHz pentium would require a ~3.4GHz i3 to compete with it. So it depends on your OC of the pentium, and if the games/programs would use the hyperthreads well. As the i3 is 3.4GHz, you likely can't OC the pentium to compete well, unless a game/program does not use hyperthreading.

And finally, neither the pentium nor the i3 is very good for gaming.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It's a good choice when you're going to upgrade to an i5/i7 down the road (when you can afford it). 

I wouldn't worry about clock speeds. you won't notice a difference between a 4130 and a 4150. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Typically means satisfying a need or a temporary solution. 

What's the price gap? If it's like 10€, I would go for the 4150.

The i3 is better, there's no question about it. However the pentium is ok if you can't afford an i3. Do consider the athlon II 860k though, it's faster in games that use more cores such as bf4 and far cry 3/4.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's a good choice when you're going to upgrade to an i5/i7 down the road (when you can afford it). 

I wouldn't worry about clock speeds. you won't notice a difference between a 4130 and a 4150. 

Right now I got a i5, but want to get a 4790k when the new intel series comes out. The plan was to put the i5 into that PC then. Then price difference is only 40 Euros, that is why I started thinking of the i3.

Pentium around 60 Euros, up to 70. and the i3 is 107 Euros.  

For AAA gaming, i3 any day. The HT definitely does help while the G3258 lag spikes like crazy

"Rawr XD"

The i3 all the way. You would need a z97 mobo with an aftermarket cpu cooler to use all of the pentium k's potential which is more expensive than an i3 with a h81 mobo.

The i3 is just better because it has 4 threads and hyperthreading and more cache which is better than an oc'd 4.5ghz pentium.

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Does the OC of the Pentium compensate the lack of HT? Which one would be better for gaming?

And L3 Cache 3 vs 4MB?

In games that do not exploit cores very well, a Pentium G3258 should perform similarly to a Core i3 of the same clock speed. In games that can scale well with up to 4 cores, the i3 is likely going to come out ahead, even if the Pentium is overclocked pretty well.

4 MB of cache is more (and therefore "better") than 3 MB, but CPU cache is not something you need to pay much attention to. It's better to pick a processor based on how it performs in real-world benchmarks, rather than individual, abstract technical specifications.

Get the i3.

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

The i3 wont run into a preformance wall or bottleneck issues with high end gpu's.

Plus, Pentium processors are mainly for the big budgets, not anything else. Go with the i3 unless your that desperate.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Just found a Intel Core i3-4160 for 85 Euros. It is open box, but new.

For gaming, I would recommend the I3, simply because it can sustain 4 threads (basically perform like slightly crippled quad core).

This will secure the execution time of the game and the OS and other applications without causing any latencies by content-switching all the time (which gives horrible frame-latency).

My G3258 is overclocked to 4.6GHz and it's amazing, but it just flat out stutters and jumps on extremely intense games like Planetside 2 and GTA IV at extreme settings.

For everything else, it's perfect. You'd never know the difference

If it's solely gaming, I'd go for the G3258. If you want to multitask lots of little tasks, go with the i3 for the hyper threading.

CPU - Intel Core i5 10600K @ 5GHz @ 1.35v + EK Custom Loop (Evo Supremacy Block, 240mm Copper Radiator, Res/Pump Combo, Mayhem Soft Tubing and Fluid) - GPU - Gigabyte G1 GeForce GTX 1070 - RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200MHz - Mobo - Asus Z490-A Prime - SSD - Samsung 850 120GB - HDD - 2TB WD Black - PSU - EVGA G2 650W Gold - Case - Corsair 680X RGB White with 6 x Corsair LL120 Fans. 

Picture of my System - https://imgur.com/gallery/q27dw2g