I'm gonna sound like a noob, but I was just wondering: if you need 2 full-sized displayport connections to get 5K rez, how does that work for AMD cards since the r9 290X only has one? 

Are there any of the 'new' amd cards that have 2 full-sized DP ports? or am I missing something here?

Mini DisplayPort is functionally the same as DisplayPort. It's like USB/MicroUSB/USB-B etc. - they're all the same pins in different connectors. You can just use a simple adapter to get it to full size.

Mini DisplayPort is functionally the same as DisplayPort. It's like USB/MicroUSB/USB-B etc. - they're all the same pins in different connectors. You can just use a simple adapter to get it to full size.

now find a 290(x) with a miniDP

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Nice and all but ...its still LCD.

IPS great picture/colour and viewing angles (for an LCD), but slow pixel response

VA Ok picture/colour (for an LCD), but usually has input lag (cuz they used in TV mostly), slow pixel response, viewing angles can be poor, same for backlight bleed.

TN faster pixel response and higher Hz, but crap picture/colour, poor viewing angles, and usually has backlight bleed.

Prior to LCD we had CRT and Plasma, they had/have great colour, great picture, great viewing angles, no input lag, no issues with pixel response, no backlight bleed, and for the time they had great resolutions, even by todays standard u can get some high res CRT's, and although Plasma's were/are 1080p there large size meant low PPI. The downside, they are both chunky and heavy in terms of physical size.

I honestly cant fathom how the VDU industry has got away with shoving LCD down our necks for so long. Roll on OLED. 21:9  5120x2160  60hz+  40"- 46"(remember the aspect ratio) G-sync/free-sync OLED .yes please.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

@LinusTech

Very nice Review Linus, because I am going with 780 SLI eventually I don't think I can do 4k but I hope in the future I can get enough money to make 4k LAN PC (980 SLI)!

Because he had a hard drive.

When there is a necessity of having the scaling in windows to be set at 200%, the better solution would be setting the resolution to 2560x1440. It eliminates the weird behaviour of windows scaler and applications that scale their elements differently or independently of the OS (the whole Adobe suite for example). And at such pixel density I don't think there would be any negative effects of that.

Dell are just being ******* ******** here.  Who the hell wants to run games at 5K at minimum settings?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Dell are just being ******* ******** here. Who the hell wants to run games at 5K at minimum settings?

I want to play Assassins Creed 64 @60FPS

Because he had a hard drive.

Warning: pure opinion ahead.

Yea, it's going to be awhile before 5k, hell even 4k becomes main stream as scaling issues and horsepower required to power the panels.  While, yea the panel looks amazing I just don't see the practicality of it except for maybe content creation.  Which with heavy content creation you might as well use a mac.  I would much rather game at 5760x1080 vs 4k with all the extra screen real estate for a more immersive experience.  

Great review, but I think the panel is completely unnecessary at this point in time.  This is for people who have absurd amounts of money and nothing else to spend it on, as you need a large investment just to power the thing.  

It would actually be pretty sweet to do three of these. If you were running a Hackintosh or MacPro, you could run theses in "Retina" (double sampled) mode with an effective desktop size of 2560x1440 per monitor (just like a 5K iMac). When in Windows, even though their scaling sucks balls compared to OS X, you could game at 3x 1440p (a perfectly reasonable Surround resolution) with perfect 2:1 pixel scaling.

Granted, Apple's drivers do not currently support tiled monitors with DP1.2 and DisplayID, so 5K is not currently available for external displays. I don't know about Hackintoshes using Nvidia's OS X Web Drivers on a GTX 980, or something of that nature.

It would actually be pretty sweet to do three of these. If you were running a Hackintosh or MacPro, you could run theses in "Retina" (double sampled) mode with an effective desktop size of 2560x1440 per monitor (just like a 5K iMac). When in Windows, even though their scaling sucks balls compared to OS X, you could game at 3x 1440p (a perfectly reasonable Surround resolution) with perfect 2:1 pixel scaling.

Granted, Apple's drivers do not currently support tiled monitors with DP1.2 and DisplayID, so 5K is not currently available for external displays. I don't know about Hackintoshes using Nvidia's OS X Web Drivers on a GTX 980, or something of that nature.

1) OS X does support tiled displays

2) there just was an update for the Dell UP2715K to support 5K@60Hz

3) I run my P2715Q in "retina 1440p". works perfeclty fine for 27" and looks really sharp ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

at 27" 5K does not appeal to me, 40" is like the bare minimum for 1:1 scaling for 4K, we need to start upping the screen sizes for larger resolutions.

It does looks sexy though...

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

:( would be cool IF I COULD AFFORD IT AND PC FAST ENOUGH PC FOR THAT SCREEN

CPU:Intel Pentium G3258 OC 4,5 GHZ GPU:Zotac Geforce GTX 960 RAM:PNY 1x8GB HDD/SSD:1 TB Hitachi HDD/64 GB A-Data SSD Phone:Lumia 520 Laptop:Acer Aspire v3-531g/pentium b980 gtx 630m 4gb ram(rip acer aspire v3-531g harddrive failure + melted gpu;( )

CASE:Cheap Noname case PSU:Corsair Builder 430W Monitor:Acer 1920x1080 5ms OS:Windows 1.0

Lol, REK'T

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Nice and all but ...its still LCD.

IPS great picture/colour and viewing angles (for an LCD), but slow pixel response

VA Ok picture/colour (for an LCD), but usually has input lag (cuz they used in TV mostly), slow pixel response, viewing angles can be poor, same for backlight bleed.

TN faster pixel response and higher Hz, but crap picture/colour, poor viewing angles, and usually has backlight bleed.

Prior to LCD we had CRT and Plasma, they had/have great colour, great picture, great viewing angles, no input lag, no issues with pixel response, no backlight bleed, and for the time they had great resolutions, even by todays standard u can get some high res CRT's, and although Plasma's were/are 1080p there large size meant low PPI. The downside, they are both chunky and heavy in terms of physical size.

I honestly cant fathom how the VDU industry has got away with shoving LCD down our necks for so long. Roll on OLED. 21:9  5120x2160  60hz+  40"- 46"(remember the aspect ratio) G-sync/free-sync OLED .yes please.

LCD is "good enough" for most people and a lot more convenient than heavy CRT/Plasma.  (Or dealing with plasma burn in issues.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

So 2 980s couldn't do it... How about 4? Or Titan Xs, whenever Linus can get his hands on them? At this point I'm kind of curious if there's anything, even something impossibly expensive and impractical, that could game at 5K right now.

It's the iMac's internal hardware not having support for Windows. The iMac had to use a custom connector to use 5K. This monitor uses two DisplayPort cables to use 5K because (as Linus says) only using one limits you to 4K.

Oh ok thanks

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

Does Dell make a sharp looking 27inch 1440p glossy monitor?

Sorry to be harsh again, but I think the approach of the video doesn't make a lot of sense. I know the main audience of LTT are interested in gaming related hardware, but if the screen is clearly targeted at (prosumers and) professionals, it doesn't make a lot of sense to approach as an gaming peripheral. Also, Would've liked seeing it getting used with graphical-, DTP-, CAD-/CAM-, office- and/or video-software for an overview what CAN be done with the screen.

Do games even support 5K at this point ?

The review is not bad by any means fiy.

So Linus if it's pointless to use that screen in Windows with the scaling issue, what about Linux and Steam OS instead, how would it work there??

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance you could run some tests with a pair of Titan Xs in SLI to see how that extra VRAM helps with the sheer amount of pixels on this massive display, or is it the guts of the Maxwell chip that need to be replaced in order to drive something like this at 60 FPS?