Making the LED on Asus GTX 980 Matrix ALWAYS Red.

My dad had this card returned to his store, and I got to keep it. So I've decided to play around with it, in order to create a guide on how to make the load identifying LED stay red.
Typically with these GPUs, there are 3 colours that the LED will glow, to show the user how much load the GPU is under. If you're like me, and pretty pedantic about the colours inside your case, then you've probably already wondered why Asus don't let you set the colour yourself?
Although theoretically possible, Asus don't seem to be releasing a driver update that allows you to do this any time soon.
So that's where the fun part begins.

NOTE: This is completely reversible and will not void your warranty.

Start by removing the 2 screws on either side of the fan housing.

Next, remove the plug that attaches the housing to the GPU.
Then, Remove the screw that holds the LED module in place and unplug the module.

On the plug for the module there are 5 pins in total.
1. Power
2. Earth
3. Blue Illumination power signal
4. Orange illumination power signal.
5. Red illumination power signal.

As seen in the image, remove pins 3, 4 & 5.
Then place pin 1 into the slot for pin 5.

- To do this you will need to lift up the black tabs on the plug with a small screwdriver, while gently tugging the wire out from the back. -

http://i.imgur.com/8m27die.jpg

Next, isolate the pins 3, 4 & 5 and cover them so they don't short anything out.
You can mark them with coloured electrical tape, like i have done. This will help when/if you reverse this process.
(Unintentional McDonalds product placement & My Girlfriend's boobs)

Plug everything back in and mount the fan housing back onto the GPU.
Place the GPU into your PC and enjoy the single LED colour.

Awesome, nice guide.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

• 1 month later...

Hello, i made an account to just to ask, can you or anyone who has done this mod be able to provide a video tutorial? I'm going to buy this videocard soon and im not really a guy who chucks out money like crazy so i really need to be assured that i won't mess up. And yea the whole changing the LED color on load was a big let down but thanks to you,im going for this card. :)

Case:Corsair 750D Monitor:Asus PB278Q Cpu: Intel i7 4770K Storage:Seagate Barracuda 3TB/Intel 730 SSD(x2)
SSD:Asus ROG Raidr Motherboard:Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram:Corsair Dominator Platium 32GB 1866 MHz Watercooler:Corsair H100I GTX GPU:EVGA GTX690 PSU:Corsair AX860 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013/Razer Blackwidow 2014 Chroma Mouse:Razer Oroubouros Headset:Turtlebeach z300 Fans:Corsair AF/SP-120's Speakers:Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 Optical Drive:Asus Blue-Ray Drive Front Bay:Asus ROG Front Base Soundcard:Asus ROG Phoebus 

I'm surprised you can't make the LED a single color in the GPU tweak software.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

• 2 weeks later...

I'll make a video on my phone later, if it helps you. It's not very complex. It probably won't be great quality though.

it's ok man,i just need to go what to disconnect and which number of cables go through each one :3 im hoping by friday i'll be buying it

Case:Corsair 750D Monitor:Asus PB278Q Cpu: Intel i7 4770K Storage:Seagate Barracuda 3TB/Intel 730 SSD(x2)
SSD:Asus ROG Raidr Motherboard:Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram:Corsair Dominator Platium 32GB 1866 MHz Watercooler:Corsair H100I GTX GPU:EVGA GTX690 PSU:Corsair AX860 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013/Razer Blackwidow 2014 Chroma Mouse:Razer Oroubouros Headset:Turtlebeach z300 Fans:Corsair AF/SP-120's Speakers:Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 Optical Drive:Asus Blue-Ray Drive Front Bay:Asus ROG Front Base Soundcard:Asus ROG Phoebus 

it's ok man,i just need to go what to disconnect and which number of cables go through each one :3 im hoping by friday i'll be buying it

When you have the LED face out, you will see 5 dots of solder next to the panel. There are 5 wires going to those 5 dots of solder, and i've numbered them in the second picture. Pull out numbers 6, 5 & 4. Then place the wire from number 1 into the plug for number 6. This will provide constant power to the red switch of the LED.

Have you purchased your graphics card yet?

ah, ok, and not yet, by friday on my check ill be buying it

• 6 months later...

Please I beg you make a video about it, I'm so confused and just seeing what your doing would make it so much easier.

• 2 months later...

First screw came off easily, 2nd one seems to be welded in and can't get it out.

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

• 7 months later...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I was going crazy about the blue color, but now it is always red, and finally it fit with the rest of my setup :D

On 10.3.2015 at 5:36 AM, AmirMC said:
My dad had this card returned to his store, and I got to keep it. So I've decided to play around with it, in order to create a guide on how to make the load identifying LED stay red.
Typically with these GPUs, there are 3 colours that the LED will glow, to show the user how much load the GPU is under. If you're like me, and pretty pedantic about the colours inside your case, then you've probably already wondered why Asus don't let you set the colour yourself?
Although theoretically possible, Asus don't seem to be releasing a driver update that allows you to do this any time soon.
So that's where the fun part begins.

NOTE: This is completely reversible and will not void your warranty.

Start by removing the 2 screws on either side of the fan housing.

Next, remove the plug that attaches the housing to the GPU.
Then, Remove the screw that holds the LED module in place and unplug the module.

On the plug for the module there are 5 pins in total.
1. Power
2. Earth
3. Blue Illumination power signal
4. Orange illumination power signal.
5. Red illumination power signal.

As seen in the image, remove pins 3, 4 & 5.
Then place pin 1 into the slot for pin 5.

- To do this you will need to lift up the black tabs on the plug with a small screwdriver, while gently tugging the wire out from the back. -

http://i.imgur.com/8m27die.jpg

Next, isolate the pins 3, 4 & 5 and cover them so they don't short anything out.
You can mark them with coloured electrical tape, like i have done. This will help when/if you reverse this process.
(Unintentional McDonalds product placement & My Girlfriend's boobs)

Plug everything back in and mount the fan housing back onto the GPU.
Place the GPU into your PC and enjoy the single LED colour.

How do I make it allways orange ?

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving this thread, i tried to do this with the 780 Ti, the cable is exactly the same so i tried it.

I had so much trouble getting the pins out, i used a flat screwdriver to pull them out as intended.

But it was super tight and pulled them out without the plug coming out.

I don't know what to do to fix this, i can't find this connector anywhere online, so i'm stuck with no lights atm.

I would love you forever if someone knows wich connector is used for the LED module so i can fix it.

WIP: Ryzen 5 3600@4,2ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming | ASRock B450M Steel Legend

Corsair Crystal 280X | Cooler Master MWE 550W | Gigabyte CV27F 1080p 165hz