wibdows 8 wont install to my hdd?

jdmilion

I am trying to install windows 8 to my hard drive for the pc i built, i am using a 2.5" laptop hard drive that has nothing on it, and it says "windows cannot be installed to this disk" why? I really want my pc to play some games with my friends. I cant afford any more parts.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

It says a required drive partition is missing

is the hard drive plugged in correctly? lol

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

is the hard drive plugged in correctly? lol

Yes

Try going into BIOS and setting the first priority boot disk to the drive you want to install TO - not the install media.

Try going into BIOS and setting the first priority boot disk to the drive you want to install TO - not the install media.

My keyboard doesnt work, all i can press is escape on the ASRock menu for some reason

Yes

it appears that the drive may have been partitioned incorrectly (it may be considered RAW if you plugged it in another computer)

if you have access to another computer I would go fix that, but if you don't you could just send it back for another one.

it appears that the drive may have been partitioned incorrectly (it may be considered RAW if you plugged it in another computer)

if you have access to another computer I would go fix that, but if you don't you could just send it back for another one.

I took it out of a laptop and my friend wiped it for me. It was a dell inspirion n5050

I took it out of a laptop and my friend wiped it for me. It was a dell inspirion n5050

if you have anything handy you should check how the partition table is. (hopefully not RAW)

You need to install your SATA controller in Windows setup.

Basically, on the screen of Windows setup that asks you which drive/partition to install Windows, click on "load drivers", insert your motherboard disk, and load the SATA controller drivers from there.

Once done, pick your drive and the setup should not complain

My keyboard doesnt work, all i can press is escape on the ASRock menu for some reason

Um... then you might have bigger problems than not being able to install windows...

You need to install your SATA controller in Windows setup.

Basically, on the screen of Windows setup that asks you which drive/partition to install Windows, click on "load drivers", insert your motherboard disk, and load the SATA controller drivers from there.

Once done, pick your drive and the setup should not complain

I would need to take out the windows disk to do that is that ok?

I would need to take out the windows disk to do that is that ok?

Yes, perfectly.

At this point of the setup, the setup itself is on your RAM. It will pf course need to disk when the setup starts.

Once the drivers are selected from your motherboard disk, put back Windows disk back in.

Oh forgot to mention, keep in mind that the setup can't run exe's, you want to point to the *.inf SATA controller drivers. The setup will scan the folder and sub folders for you, and detect the right drivers

Yes, perfectly.

At this point of the setup, the setup itself is on your RAM. It will pf course need to disk when the setup starts.

Once the drivers are selected from your motherboard disk, put back Windows disk back in.

Oh forgot to mention, keep in mind that the setup can't run exe's, you want to point to the *.inf SATA controller drivers. The setup will scan the folder and sub folders for you, and detect the right drivers

Ok it appears to have installed, so do i take the asrock disk out and put the windows one back in? It now also says "windows couldnt find any drives. to get a storage driver, click load driver"

So you have inserted your motherboard disk, and selected the path of your SATA controller drivers being used by your HDD/SSD, and you selected the driver.

Windows should install them without problem. Once done, you can pull out the motherboard disk, insert your Windows disk.

Then once Windows disk is back in, click on the drive partition, and hit Delete (I think you need to click on "Advanced" before) to delete the partition that you have, (I assume a simple basic setup, else use common sense that reflects your setup), if you see a recovery partition (~100MB), delete that one as well. You should see 1 partition/drive listed. Now click on it, and click on "New". Then click on the Next button.

If you are lost, feel free to show a picture of what you see at this stage,