You kids have it so easy these days in building a computer....

Arct1c0n

That reminds me, does anyone want my $80 Mega-i-Modem 56? Its still got everything and apart from being pulled out was never used. Heck I'll even throw in the PCI cards that lets you use the computer as a phone/answering machine.

/jk, but I do have them

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Thats why you install components on motherboard on a flat surface before putting it on the tray. 

Maybe true ATX motherboards spoiled me idk, but if I pay for an ATX motherboard it damn well better meet the standard fully.

PMSL

Maybe true ATX motherboards spoiled me idk, but if I pay for an ATX motherboard it damn well better meet the standard fully.

Yeah.....those days....are long gone my son......

The jumpers and "The song of my people" bring a tear to the eye.

Good times, but good thing we don't have those Internet speeds as standard anymore xD.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

You kids these days have it so damn easy in building computers. It's utterly amazing how much has changed when 14 years ago at this time, I was spending hours and hours between my college IT classes figuring out why the hell Intel was getting its ass kicked by this "AMD" company and why spending the money on this new "Geforce 3" was such a big deal compared to previous versions that ran Quake 2 just fine but Unreal squashed that.

Man, you had it easy having the internet to make your research,  try contacting manufacturers over phone to get documents mailed on how to make everything, or if you were lucky you could get them fax the documents and not wait weeks for the info.

You even had Plug & Play, which took away 90% of the difficulty of building your own PC from the beginning of time and until Win 95 came out.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

i builded my first pc in 2004-2005, i feel ya on some points (dropped a AMD FX -57 proccesor back in the day) bended a few pins i a was so sad ... so sad that day

Let's agree to disagree

In the past when i was kid my home had 4 pcs with 3 amd processors and 1 intel because the price/to performance was amazing only 5-15% slower than the intel pc, now all my home pc are intel :( i hope AMD Zen 16nm will offer good price to performance ratio when compared to skylake/cannonlake.

Well, at least you have more experience than us.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I'll learn eventually when I get a job in IT. Dealing with that crummy old hardware. For now, I'm more than happy with my 4690k and my air 540 case

:P at you old guys and your old hardware.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Great post, takes me back.  Fucking around with IRQ and dma channels for hours before even getting a game of sw or hexen happening. 

To everyone else, it's only condescending if you are insecure about your existence,  because basically it's true, it is sooooo much easier to build a pc today than it was 15 years ago. But don't worry, when you guys get to 40, you'll be telling the next generation how easy they have it because they'll star trek their build with a voice command, and they'll say to you, "condescending much old man".  I know my generation did it to the one before us and they did it to the one before them and so on.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

paper!

"Woah, is this paper? That's like so retro throwback!" -Roscoe Santangelo, Vice President of Cool New Shizz at Gryzzl

Wow, $300 for a DVD reader, something that goes for $15 today and is completely obsolete.

My dad remebers paying $300 for a CRT monitor 10+ years ago, and says he couldn't imagine my current mid-range $119 24" 1080p TN panel at the time.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Oh damn, old farts already getting in here with their need to complain about the youngins' sweet life all the while saying they aren't being condescending (in a condescending tone no less). Windows 98 takes me back, first computer I had to enjoy a LAN game of Command and Conquer with my dad.

edit: And we just happened to have thrown out all our old computers a few weeks ago. He was a goddamn pack rat.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Oh damn, old farts already getting in here with their need to complain about the youngins' sweet life all the while saying they aren't being condescending (in a condescending tone no less). Windows 98 takes me back, first computer I had to enjoy a LAN game of Command and Conquer with my dad. 

If it's just old farts complaining why are you reading it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Built one 4 years ago, neglected to use any sort of online guide due to ignorance.. sort of just plugged stuff in where it made sense and checked the papers if it didn't :P

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

I'm 15. I learned how to do that IDE drive jumper thing when I was like 7 with my first desktop. 833 (733?) MHz socket type P3 with a 64MB ATI card and 256 megs of RAM. Awesome.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

op just got enough likes to be forum king

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

op just got enough likes to be forum king

Well, all other things aside, his post was very informative and well laid out. it gives those who have only been into computers for little while a view at what it used to be like over a decade ago.  Plus there's nostalgia.

Thank god I didn't have to build during those days.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

the good old days... *sigh* 

i remmeber smoking weed wathcing friends building computers very very early 2000's. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

You're doing it wrong.

Half of those points/complaints weren't true or dificult at the time.

I am just glad I missed out on having to solder my own computer.

Remember the hardware roulette when Thunderbird came out?

Just picking the right RAM, motherboard and graphics card that wouldn't cause an instant crash was science itself. And luck. Lots of luck.

But man those 1,333MHz were worth it, am I right?

Remember S3? Riva TNT? Voodoo SLI... sigh.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Remember the hardware roulette when Thunderbird came out?

Just picking the right RAM, motherboard and graphics card that wouldn't cause an instant crash was science itself. And luck. Lots of luck.

But man those 1,333MHz were worth it, am I right?

Remember S3? Riva TNT? Voodoo SLI... sigh.

Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro, and Riva 128ZX? Yeah, I've got them right in front of me.

PMSL