Cross-Fire R9 270X? or R9 290X? or R9 390X?

Hey guys, I was wondering what setup would be better to upgrade my system. I was trying to debate on buying a R9 290X to replace my R9 270X, when I thought of the idea to swap my motherboard, buy a new power-supply, and buy another R9 270X. Which one of these would be the better buy, or should I wait for a new AMD card?

This is what I'd have to buy to crossfire:post-158156-0-33135200-1425676353.png

If you can wait - 390x. Altough you'll need a new chipset, am3 could handle it but with bottlenecks

• My specs:

CPU

AMD FX-6350

Motherboard

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

RAM

Hyper-X 1600mhz 8GB

GPU

MSI R9-290x

Case

Obsidian 350D

Storage

1TB

PSU

EVGA 500W

Display(s)

Cooling

Corsair H60 liquid cooler

I would firstly change that cpu probably for i5.

Go with the best single card you have the money for, SLI/Crossfire is only worth it when you already have a card Or want more performance than the highest end cards can give.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Go with the best single card you have the money for, SLI/Crossfire is only worth it when you already have a card Or want more performance than the highest end cards can give.

I already have a 270X so that's why I was think of going with Crossfire

I would firstly change that cpu probably for i5.

It is more budget efficient to go Overkill on each upgrade since he wont have to upgrade everything at once.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

It is more budget efficient to go Overkill on each upgrade since he wont have to upgrade everything at once.

Thing is that I think his gpu is even now bottlenecked by that cpu. I have i3 and that same gpu and cpu is slow to catch up with gpu... Getting 290x or 390x would be pretty bad.

I already have a 270X so that's why I was think of going with Crossfire

It would probably be better to get a R9 290x, If you have to change the motherboard it isnt as good to crossfire since the amount of money spent for the performance will be about the same.

The next time you upgrade your CPU you will probably have to buy a new motherboard since the AM3+ socket is dead, SO in the end you would pay more for the performance.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

It would probably be better to get a R9 290x, If you have to change the motherboard it isnt as good to crossfire since the amount of money spent for the performance will be about the same.

The next time you upgrade your CPU you will probably have to buy a new motherboard since the AM3+ socket is dead, SO in the end you would pay more for the performance.

Would it help any if i upgraded to a fx-9590?

Get i5 4690k or Xeon E3 1231 V3 and wait for R9 390x I don't think you will need to crossfire it.

No..

First, The 9590 is a overpriced spaceheater, It requires cooling that can handle its massive 220 watts TDP And a motherboard that can power it

Here are the motherboards that can power it reliably.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+
ASRock 990FX Extreme6 AM3+
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+
MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 AM3+
ASRock 990FX Extreme9 AM3+
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z A

Second, It is pretty much a overclocked 8350 So you would just throw away 150(including the cooler for it) bucks which you could spend elsewhere.

The best thing you can do is getting a i5-4460 and a matching motherboard.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I too bought an fx 6350 and r9 270x for my first gaming rig as well!!!!!!!! :DDDDDD

1st:

I did crossfire r9 270x's with 16x and 4x pci-e slots. I got almost the same graphics score as an r9 290 in benchmarks, but only have 2gb of usable vram. (dx12 fix this pls) I noticed my cpu was pinned at 90-100% usage in games when both gpu's were around 70-80% usage. This happened in games from planetside to bf4. I overclocked my fx 6350 to 4.8Ghz and it helped a small amount. One announce I had was that i was getting r9 290 fps levels but I couldn't turn up game settings because of the 2gb of vram on each card...so I ended up selling one of the r9 270x's to my close friend.

2nd:

I don't know about you, but I bought both my r9 270x's for $165. At the price in your cart it would be alright, but given the fact you would want/need to buy more than just the gpu to run crossfire, I can honestly say it will not be worth it.

3rd:

Now back to my 4.8Ghz fx 6350 and crossfire r9 270x's. In games where my 2gb of vram wasn't an issue, I got about 20fps (yes 20 or more) less than other benchmarks/games with crossfire r9 270x's with intel cpu's!!!!! I got my fx cpu and motherboard in a combo from my local Microcenter for a sweet deal, but like myself, I would recommend upgrading to at least an 2nd gen i5 before you upgrade your graphics card. I can tell you from personally upgrading from an fx 6350 to an i7 4790k with the same r9 270x gpu, I got an instant 15-25 more fps in all the same games with the same settings! Ex: bf4 with fx 6350 ultra 2x msaa was 47fps avg, with my new i7, I never saw fps drops below 60! (1080p)

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Upgrading your FX cpu to a i5 would be ideal.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case