RAID and RAIDcontrollers

HomeScape

Hi everyone,

I'm Tim and im looking for an answer i cant really find on any other forums or google.

1.5 years ago i set up an raid 0 configuration with my 2 ssd's. Recently ive been looking into permenantly running an mirror or backup in case somthing happens. My first toughts were to set up an mirror raid with my raid 0, however i did not want to limit my ssd speed to the hdd speed. After some research there is no raid option to "buffer" data for the HDD so it doesnt slow down the ssd so i went on and downloaded an backup program.

Now thats all solved (unless any of you guys got more info for me) i was looking into my read/write speeds.

Excuse me if im wrong with the whole GB Gb MB mb stuff, im not sure what is what.

So my ssd configuration has a limit caused by the sata connection of around 600mb/s if im correct. The read/write on one of my ssd's is around 550. This means that thoreticly my ssd's could give me up to 1.1gb/s but this ios limited due to the sata stuff.

I ran into an raid controller labeled as 3Gb/s. Does this mean that if i connect 2 ssd's to that controller i will have 1.1gb/s? Also why does a 1 sata port raid controller have 3gb/s? im pretty sure 1.5gb/s drives dont exist? wich makes the card overkill?

Can anyone tell me more about raid controllers and avoiding the 600mb/s on sata connections?

Greetings, Tim

Big B little b is Bytes and bits. 

Your SSD is currently using SATA3, which operates at 6Gb/s, or 600MB/s.  That 3Gb/s connection is actually SATA2, which is slower than your SSD is capable, only able to go 300MB/s max.

Your best bet for data security is to just leave your RAID 0 as is, and use a larger magnetic HDD to store backups/images, whichever you prefer.

Are there any solutions out there to remove the +/- 600mb/s cap from sata? For example with a higher-tier sata controller in an pcie slot?

(im not looking to buy a ssd that i can plug into my pcie direcly)

Tim