Performance Check

Go to solution Solved by Bittenfleax,

Fine. You could only not run 0.5% of games on Ultra/High (aka, it is good) 

Hi all.

CPU: AMD FX-8350

GPU: MSI 4GB R9 290

Thoughts on how this combination will perform in the top games today at 1080p on high settings?

(Other Details: 8GB RAM 1600mhz , MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard , 1TB 7200rpm HDD , CM Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler , Need anymore info? Let me know!)

Thanks.

Fine. You could only not run 0.5% of games on Ultra/High (aka, it is good) 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Hi all.

CPU: AMD FX-8350

GPU: MSI 4GB R9 290

Thoughts on how this combination will perform in the top games today at 1080p on high settings?

(Other Details: 8GB RAM 1600mhz , MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard , 1TB 7200rpm HDD , CM Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler , Need anymore info? Let me know!)

Thanks.

Get an i5 4460 its better... and you can upgrade on that platform unlike with the AM3+. In your specific case tho the FX is just good enough to run a 290 there might be some bottleneck in certain games but probably not to bad.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I should point out that this build will be a build mainly for gaming purposes. With a few other things of course. I would really prefer an unlocked CPU though too, I have been told that the AMD chip and the GPU I chose are excellent bang for buck options.

Bang for Buck, except when gaming.

I should point out that this build will be a build mainly for gaming purposes. With a few other things of course. I would really prefer an unlocked CPU though too, I have been told that the AMD chip and the GPU I chose are excellent bang for buck options.

If you've not bought it yet, DONT.

There are MANY sources of information,.. but we'll stick to the forum.

Your going to be making a bad decision buying an FX processor for Gaming.

Many FX users are complaining about heir higher end GPU's not being fed enough instructions from the CPU, this is the bottleneck, and the proposed R9-290 is a highend GPU.

Not all games are equal,.. its game dependent,.. across the board...you'll still get 'playable' framerates, but you won't be getting the maximum from your GPU, hence lower performance than intended, sometimes drastically framedropping into the 20fps range when demanding scenes are happening, FPS does recover,.. but rises and falls, these dips, and the Minimum FPS values, these are the most important aspect of visual smoothness. You'll see that in a sec after clicking the below links.

The most important post on the subject to read (seriously), IN ITS ENTIRETY

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/320395-gtx-970-fx-8350/?p=4355707

^It could take a while to go through,.. thats the point of having a lot of info at your disposal, but you DO wanna make the right decision, have better performance,...not waste money and ENJOY the experience right?

Someone was in your situation, was going to buy a FX processor to replace their X6 Phenom II (which is comparable to a point in IPC anyway)

They went with Intel and skyrocketed performance.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/323048-intel-i7-4790k-a-newcomer-first-impression/

The FX cpu architecture was designed almost a decade ago. Although they have made refinements and small upgrades since, the IPC cannot feed modern flagship graphic cards with enough instructions to help the graphic card reach it's potential. This is a directX bottleneck that DX12 hopes to alleviate. A single 780 will be cpu bound with an fx 8 core, let alone 2 780's.

People often forget, the cpu is instructing the GPU, not the other way around. The GPU is just a brainless work horse that does what the cpu tells it to do. The API and drivers are the actual bottleneck. always were, always will be. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/322702-bottleneck/page-2#entry4390300

I Agree,...

Every week there are a few post from FX users complaining of bottlenecking a higher end GPU.

Save your self the trouble, AND SOME MONEY in the long run. Ditch the AMD CPU's until their new ZEN processor arrives. /sorry to say it myself.

You should be seeing excess of 60fps average and up to/over 120fps at it's peak,...in some titles.

The only real way of telling if you are facing a serious CPU bottleneck in games, is to monior the GPU loads while running the games WITHOUT VSYNC OR FRAMECAPS...that way you can tell if the GPU is fed all it can handle.

But again there's more to it than that...a GPU working at 100% load does not even mean that it's outputting the optimal amount of frames to the screen...that's why when you pair faster CPU with the same GPU, you get slightly better results even if both cpu being tested are able to feed the GPU to 100% load...but we'll not get into that, cause after that it goes down to minimum frame rates, frame pacing, frame time variances, micro-stuttering...all that good stuff...and we'll just say that the AMD FX-8350 is defenetly NOT a CPU to pair with higher end graphics solutions.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Bang for Buck, cept when gaming.

If you've not bought it yet, DONT.

There are MANY sources of information,.. but we'll stick to the forum.

Your going to be making a bad decision buying an FX processor for Gaming.

Many FX users are complaining about heir higher end GPU's not being fed enough instructions from the CPU, this is the bottleneck.

Not all games are equal,.. its game dependent,.. not across the board... and you'll still get 'playable' framerates, but you won't be getting the maximum from your GPU, hence lower performance than intended.

The most important post to read, IN ITS ENTIRETY

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/320395-gtx-970-fx-8350/?p=4355707

Someone was in your situation, was going to buy a FX processor to replace their X6 Phenom II (which is comparable in IPC anyway)

They went with Intel and skyrocketed performance.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/323048-intel-i7-4790k-a-newcomer-first-impression/

Every week there are a few post from FX users complaining of bottlenecking a higher end GPU.

Save your self the trouble, AND SOME MONEY in the long run. Ditch the AMD CPU's until their new ZEN processor arrives. /sorry to say it myself.

Thank you for your reply, Skilled.

What do you then suggest? I will also point out that I'm a first time PC builder.

What do you then suggest? I will also point out that I'm a first time PC builder.

Gaming focus,.. an i5 would be perfect, I suggest you read the 'important' link above, you'll see that even the i3 CPU's beat the FX CPU's in quite a range of Games.

The lowest Intel i5 is probably the cheapest sweetspot for a build with a R9-290 in it.

@Faceman @Fate @i_build_nanosuits

Your better at this part than me...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Appreciate the help, thanks a lot, I will definitely look into this further. I have not yet bought the Motherboard or the CPU so I do still have the room to adapt and change here. :-)

i5-4460 and H97. You won't be able to overclock but it'll still be faster in games than even the highest realistically overclocked FX83xx processors. If you do want to overclock, get a 4690k and Z97 motherboard. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Appreciate the help, thanks a lot, I will definitely look into this further. I have not yet bought the Motherboard or the CPU so I do still have the room to adapt and change here. :-)

Future use.

You can find this thread by going to the 'my content' section of your profile drop down tab top right of the screen.

Post in here your questions, quoting someone will inform them of your reply, otherwise they won't now you did if you don't..

/Maybe you can also reclassify your 'best answer' to Facemans i5/H97 post or mine I made with the links (courtesy of Faceman+others also)

Happy to help, making sure you get the most for your dollar and do not get scammed by misinformation. :)

i5-4460 and H97. You won't be able to overclock but it'll still be faster in games than even the highest realistically overclocked FX83xx processors. If you do want to overclock, get a 4690k and Z97 motherboard. 

Sounds good, thanks a lot! :-)

Future use.

You can find this thread by going to the 'my content' section of your profile drop down tab top right of the screen.

Post in here your questions, quoting someone will inform them of your reply, otherwise they won't now you did if you don't..

Happy to help, making sure you get the most for your dollar and do not get scammed by misinformation. :)

Got it. Just signed up here today :-).

Got it. Just signed up here today :-).

:)

Would you be walking into a store and getting them to order/build it for you or ordering online and building it yourself?

Just curious...

/Goin 2 bed, will check in morn, best of luck researching Intel CPU's and R9-290 performance.. :)

They are beast!

:)

Would you be walking into a store and getting them to order/build it for you or ordering online and building it yourself?

Just curious...

/Goin 2 bed, will check in morn, best of luck researching Intel CPU's and R9-290 performance.. :)

They are beast!

I have been buying and collecting the parts myself, and will build the computer myself. 

I'm full-time at College right now though so it is a becoming a lonnnnnnnnnnnng process to come up with the money for the parts but it will be worth it in the end if I do it right! Right? 

I have a lot of the cheaper components such as the HDD, Case, RAM and CPU Cooler, but I am yet to buy the expensive side.. Being the Motherboard, CPU and GPU. I went with the universal parts first, the ones that wouldn't change regardless of what CPU / Motherboard I got, just to make it easier for myself.

So I'm at the point now where I just need to get those 3 final parts then I'm good to go and continue on with upgrades in the future such as overclocking (I will most likely be going for an UNLOCKED i5 here because of this), and an SSD too. 

I'm pretty set on my GPU being the 4GB R9 290, yes. It's just the never ending battle of AMD vs Intel for CPU's which makes it infinitely more difficult for first time builders like me!

Alright man, enjoy the rest of your night.

I have been buying and collecting the parts myself, and will build the computer myself. 

So I'm at the point now where I just need to get those 3 final parts then I'm good to go and continue on with upgrades in the future such as overclocking (I will most likely be going for an UNLOCKED i5 here because of this), and an SSD too. 

I'm pretty set on my GPU being the 4GB R9 290, yes. It's just the never ending battle of AMD vs Intel for CPU's which makes it infinitely more difficult for first time builders like me!

Alright man, enjoy the rest of your night.

^Sounds pretty damn good to me, and yeah the unlocked i5 is king, it can stay stock speed for years,.. when the programs of the future tie up the CPU cycles more, then you overclock instead of upgrading again. :) Good thing again being DX12 will lighten the CPU load moreso, and overclocking may not be needed for years further than expected.

The AMD VS Intel never ending battle HAS ended now though,.. just some people don't wanna believe it and will push their opinions first, and facts last, if at all, usually saying excuses like you cherry picked performance results or 'your just an Intel fanboy' <-- even though the results DO speak for themselves...lol

Boot drive being an SSD is a MUST these days, once you go SSD, you won't ever NOT use one for a boot drive.

Your making the right decision mate. G'Night.

^Sounds pretty damn good to me, and yeah the unlocked i5 is king, it can stay stock speed for years,.. when the programs of the future tie up the CPU cycles more, then you overclock instead of upgrading again. :) Good thing again being DX12 will lighten the CPU load moreso, and overclocking may not be needed for years further than expected.

The AMD VS Intel never ending battle HAS ended now though,.. just some people don't wanna believe it and will push their opinions first, and facts last, if at all, usually saying excuses like you cherry picked performance results or 'your just an Intel fanboy' <-- even though the results DO speak for themselves...lol

Boot drive being an SSD is a MUST these days, once you go SSD, you won't ever NOT use one for a boot drive.

Your making the right decision mate. G'Night.

Right. 

What are your thoughts on it as far as the future goes though? Will this be a computer to last? I would hope so!

G'Night, talk again soon.

Right. 

What are your thoughts on it as far as the future goes though? Will this be a computer to last? I would hope so!

G'Night, talk again soon.

So much for bread :)

Extensively lasting,..esp when things like AMD's Mantle had pushed Directx11 to be improved upon for CPU threading and such CPU benefits to be made available in DX12,. so CPU's will matter even less in the future for games that utilize DX12 (which will be all games eventually)

CPU's also don't gain much when the next gen is renewed/refreshed/released.

The last few generations of Intel CPU's

Sandybridge>IvyBridge>Haswell all had minimal 5-15% max gains. <-you can OC usually past this 15% improvement and be faster again in the future.

My older 2600K Sandy bridge would Overclock to 4.8/5.0Ghz, and matched Haswell, which is 2 CPU generational releases later,.

I only got this Haswell refresh 4690 because I killed my 2600K going for 5.2Ghz <-- silly to do, but fun to do :)

It could hold 4.8Ghz easily, newer gen CPU's may not go that high anymore, usually netting 4.2Ghz-4.6Ghz as an average OC these days on current gen CPU's.

You'll be fine, super snappy, happy as fuck :)

So much for bread :)

Extensively lasting,..esp when things like AMD's Mantle had pushed Directx11 to be improved upon for CPU threading and such CPU benefits to be made available in DX12,. so CPU's will matter even less in the future for games that utilize DX12 (which will be all games eventually)

CPU's also don't gain much when the next gen is renewed/refreshed/released.

The last few generations of Intel CPU's

Sandybridge>IvyBridge>Haswell all had minimal 5-15% max gains. <-you can OC usually past this 15% improvement and be faster again in the future.

My older 2600K Sandy bridge would Overclock to 4.8/5.0Ghz, and matched Haswell, which is 2 CPU generational releases later,.

I only got this Haswell refresh 4690 because I killed my 2600K going for 5.2Ghz <-- silly to do, but fun to do :)

It could hold 4.8Ghz easily, newer gen CPU's may not go that high anymore, usually netting 4.2Ghz-4.6Ghz as an average OC these days on current gen CPU's.

You'll be fine, super snappy, happy as fuck :)

Awesome! I'll let you get some sleep now hahah, thanks for all the help.

Talk to you later.

Awesome! I'll let you get some sleep now hahah, thanks for all the help.

Talk to you later.

Roger that...

Time to count sheep

/Who actually does this?