uTorrent silently installing bundled Bitcoin mining software

utorrent.jpeg

BitTorrent client uTorrent has come under fire from users after it emerged the software’s latest update comes bundled with Bitcoin mining software.

Not cool uTorrent, not cool at all. I don't care how much you want to change the world with the unused power of my CPU, you don't get to automatically install anything for any reason, especially something as scummy as this that can take up a lot of resources that aren't yours to requisition in the first place. 

Its not like uTorrent is worth anything anyways. Deluge and Transmission among others are far better options for people who need a lightweight client that hasn't sold itself out with obnoxious (and even inappropriate) ads and business practices.

The piece of software, named EpicScale, is a Bitcoin miner that purports to use your ‘unused processing power to change the world.’ According to one user, the software is ‘easily noticeable by the increased CPU load when the computer is idle.’

Unfortunately, the problem lies in the fact that users say they weren’t asked they wanted the software to be installed. thread on the uTorrent forums by user ‘Groundrunner’ says: “There was no information about this during installation and I did opt out of your other bundled software.”

A senior manager for customer support at uTorrent did reply to the thread, explaining that it designs its software to ensure partner software downloads ‘don’t occur without approval by the user’.

Epic Scale is a great partner for us to continue to generate revenue for the company, while contributing funds to good causes,” wrote the uTorrent employee.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/utorrent-silently-installing-bundled-bitcoin-mining-software

Luckily i don't run it at startup and turn it off as soon as my download is done :)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

I've not use uTorrent for donkeys due to add integration and sketchy business practices. 

Looks like they are trying to build a BotNet for gaining them BitCoins.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

So do uTorrent/BitTorrent get the coins?

Wouldn't mind some coin myself. This isn't a bad idea. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

uTorrent really started going down hill. I switched to qBitTorrent, its essentially what uTorrent was back when it was good and works just fine.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

What the heck? That's quite unacceptable and not nice of them. :mellow:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Wow that's messed up, but then again so is pirating.

Who said using BitTorrent software means you're pirating? Just because someone owns knife doesn't mean they only use it for stabbing people. ;)

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Torrents are not exclusive to piracy. Lots of legitimate uses for torrents. Don't paint the entire field with a single brush. 

Let's be honest, companies would used a close sourced torrent program not uTorrent which is known for scummy shit.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

and thats y i only instal older versions of uTorrent ^_^ that work just as well , without all the nonsense

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

I know a alternative thanks to a friend that torrents like no fucking tomorrow, but I don't think this forum would be ok with me saying it.

It is D*gets edited out* you'll never know it.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Man, it's a good thing I haven't had to torrent anything in like, forever. uTorrent was always my go-to.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

uTorrent really started going down hill. I switched to qBitTorrent, its essentially what uTorrent was back when it was good and works just fine.

yep utorrent started doing downhill ages ago, i also swapped to qbittorrent just like the old utorrent, even looks the same

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I NEVER install new utorrent. I use like version 2.01

Remember when it would say "If you paid for this software, you were scammed" when you installed it? 

I miss those days. 

oldversion.com if you want it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So do uTorrent/BitTorrent get the coins?

Wouldn't mind some coin myself. This isn't a bad idea.

Are you being serious? It's not a bad idea that someone is installing something on your comp without your permission?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Well looks like ill be uninstalling utorrent, any alternate recommendations?

qbittorrent is the perfect replacement not just an alternative, its amazing http://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php

qbt is soo good that my only gripe with it is the old school icons that it uses :P

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Are you being serious? It's not a bad idea that someone is installing something on your comp without your permission?

kid, it's not a bad idea of you want to make some coin. It'll be slow. But you wouldn't be wasting any of your resources or electricity. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

kid, it's not a bad idea of you want to make some coin. It'll be slow. But you wouldn't be wasting any of your resources or electricity.

1st, don't call me kid. 2nd, the point clearly flew right over your head, so I'll leave it at that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

the idea is brilliant, but the practiced is not

it just about the same like someone stealing your internet connection, or your powerline

I hope someone sue them.

1st, don't call me kid. 2nd, the point clearly flew right over your head, so I'll leave it at that.

I get the point. But the idea about using other peoples power to mine coin is a good one. 

Means uTorrent/BitTorrent aren't wasting their own power mining worthless coins. 

uTorrent used to be so basic. It was great. I stopped using it the moment they started adding more features. I switched to Tixati and haven't looked back since.

Torrents are not exclusive to piracy. Lots of legitimate uses for torrents. Don't paint the entire field with a single brush. 

Doesn't both Blizzard, World of Tanks and Humble use some kind of torrent to distribute their content?

And yeah, torrent is a technology is pretty awesome, especially for downloading large files