Is gtx980 Enough to power 4K monitor?

Go to solution Solved by slightlyjaded,

I think I rest my case... Yes you can run games at 4k on a single 980. It'll look good. especially when DX12 come out. You will run 30 frames per second at 4k with most modern AAA titles. When they actually bug fix you'll be able to run every current AAA title at 60 FPS. (except metro, that just wrecks graphics cards unless you're running a 5960x as well(*grin))

so much bad advice.. your 980 is more than enough for work use. Intel HD 5000 powers 4k for daily use.

and you don't need a second 980 to play games.. youll easily be able to play games at 4k at a mixture of high and ultra settings.. I can play games at 4k with a 2gb 770 at a mix of medium to high settings. I can play bf4 at 4k on mostly high settings and still hit 60fps.

everyone on this forum who doesn't have a 4k monitor is under the impression you need sli gpus just to consider running games at 4k..

yes the latest games are more demanding and some cannot be maxed out on a single gpu or multi gpu setup.

but there's thousands of games that can be maxed out and older still relevant games.. I get 200fps+ on cs go at 4k..

4k medium settings still looks a hundred times better than 1080p ultra with all the AA bells and whistles..

No we're not under the impression that we "need" dual sli. Just that there will be inevitable stuttering when our frame buffer is full. A single 980 will be enough to run a AAA title 90% of the time. We are not a 90% forum however.

For work yes but for gaming don't expect max settings 60FPS. But you can downscale to 1080p.

How is that actually, downscaling on 4k? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

4k is 4x 1080p so I believe it's pretty damn perfect when scaling to 1080p

to be fair, for the mathematically less literate it's really 2x2x1080p

cause it's a different standard to 720p/ 1080p......

No we're not under the impression that we "need" dual sli. Just that there will be inevitable stuttering when our frame buffer is full. A single 980 will be enough to run a AAA title 90% of the time. We are not a 90% forum however.

lol no you'll probably find most people on this forum aim to game at 1080p or less and are happy to have playable frame rates at any settings! so it's more like a 40% forum :D

steams last monthly servey stated that the average user only has a dual core cpu and Intel HD 4000 graphics!!

8.9% of all steam users have integrated graphics! where as high end 780s and 980s are 1% and 0.6%!

im sure almost all members of this forum are steam users :)

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

lol no you'll probably find most people on this forum aim to game at 1080p or less and are happy to have playable frame rates at any settings! so it's more like a 40% forum :D

steams last monthly servey stated that the average user only has a dual core cpu and Intel HD 4000 graphics!!

8.9% of all steam users have integrated graphics! where as high end 780s and 980s are 1% and 0.6%!

im sure almost all members of this forum are steam users :)

OP asked about 4k....

It's even in the title....

My gigabyte board... 4.7ghz

Nuff said.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Don't expect 4K to be great maxed on two 980's

However at 1440P. .. They mangle all games.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

My gigabyte board... 4.7ghz

Nuff said.

(cough) 5960x@5.9.... temporarily....

ASUS optimisation was a wee bity slow....

nuff said

(cough) 5960x@5.9.... temporarily....

ASUS optimisation was a wee bity slow....

nuff said

I was talking stable lol.

I was talking stable lol.

It said it was stable..... for the 15 seconds I was doing tests..... I caught it, and canceled immediately....I never said it was safe.

ASUS WS board.

Don't expect 4K to be great maxed on two 980's

However at 1440P. .. They mangle all games.

4K won't be good at sli?

4K won't be good at sli?

4k will run on one 980, on a less graphically demanding game. I wouldn't expect far cry 4 to run at 60fps at 4k however.

4k will run on one 980, on a less graphically demanding game. I wouldn't expect far cry 4 to run at 60fps at 4k however.

Yes I know! I am not really expecting it to give me 60FPS but with 2 980s i think it'll run smooth isn't it?

Yes I know! I am not really expecting it to give me 60FPS but with 2 980s i think it'll run smooth isn't it?

sli 980's will run at about 58 fps. only because they'll max out at 60fps (They'll bounce agasinst that limit, and anything less will reduce the average) in any ubisoft game ( can't have them outperforming those awesome consoles)

Cause 24fps is os cinematic.....

I am not planning to play games in 4K not until i save enough money to add another 980 in my rig. But will it be enough for computing/work??

absolutely, you can do all the editing and 3d modelling you want at 4K with such a GPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

OP asked about 4k....

It's even in the title....

yeah I know, he asked about working at 4k not gaming regardless.

your point to me was based on my remark about sli setups for 4k. my original post simply pointed out you can get very decent frame rates at 4k with comprimise as I do daily with a much lesser card than OP has.

you then stated that it wasn't a 90% forum.. I simply pointed out that it was based on statistics :) numbers are fun.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I'm probably a bad judge here. I'd cancel the mobo, and buy the x99e-ws.... You're using it for graphic's productivity by the looks of things. You'll buy a second 980 eventually. and you'll probably use a xp941/sm.... samsung m.2 drive as a scratch disk.

I can recommend those components from personal experience, even as a gamer. for productivity they get even better. A 5960x with a 980 will render 4k video in real time...

Isn't your Corsair ax1500i bit too much? I was going for corsair ax860i How much do you normally reach?

Isn't your Corsair ax1500i bit too much? I was going for corsair ax860i How much do you normally reach?

800W is plenty for dual GTX 980 and X99 rig.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

yeah I know, he asked about working at 4k not gaming regardless.

your point to me was based on my remark about sli setups for 4k. my original post simply pointed out you can get very decent frame rates at 4k with comprimise as I do daily with a much lesser card than OP has.

you then stated that it wasn't a 90% forum.. I simply pointed out that it was based on statistics :) numbers are fun.

fun, messy little bitches....atm no one needs a single 980.....They are overpriced, overspeced, and undercooled.

actually the last two are linked. Unless you're overclocking by 100mhz or more you're safe with the reference cooler on maxwell.

I'm going to go fanboy here. maxwell is one of the coolest most powerful chips of it's generation. It is a quantum leap in gpu power, only challenged by the likes of the 295x2 card from AMD.

That's a dual gpu card that has reference watercooling as standard.

500W with one graphics card on overclock....

Actually i run about 50W normally in browsing. I undervolt normally.

You're probably wondering why the ax1500i?

I'm way out of the efficiency curve, except in the middle of winter (who needs a heater when you can overclock)

I always planned on a second 980.   They just proved to be crazy efficient.

They're completely silent till abut 500W. and quietish after.

You're probably wondering why the ax1500i?

I'm way out of the efficiency curve, except in the middle of winter (who needs a heater when you can overclock)

I always planned on a second 980.   They just proved to be crazy efficient.

They're completely silent till abut 500W. and quietish after.

Yeah I was wondering why 1500W because i told someone on other forum that i will be using 1000W PSU, they said i am crazy and won't reach anywhere near that mark.

Yeah I was wondering why 1500W because i told someone on other forum that i will be using 1000W PSU, they said i am crazy and won't reach anywhere near that mark.

with two 980's you won't. I picked it for it's silent mode, and it's stability.