So this has to be the most ridiculous build idea I've ever had...thoughts?

Your build is OK, but swap those 960s for a 970.

Your mothers build looks fine.

960 sli is not worth it better off with a single 970, 290, 290x

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p3zW7P

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p3zW7P/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($208.09 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($68.99 @ NCIX US) 

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Best Buy) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($272.98 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($272.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.75 @ OutletPC) 

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Amazon) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00) 

Total: $1441.74

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 02:57 EST-0500

Only getting the cards because they are limited edition and I really don't wanna pay for the 970 version althought it might be cheaper but I know all there is some stuff on the 970 cards having 3.5gb instead of 4gb.

u forgot a motherboard in your build

Link is updated with my board.

I had to find the info on it....

Had it like a year and just got it refurbed like a month ago because it came to me busted when I bought

@PANICPR0NE Modified it a bit changed the 960's to a 970 LE(the green you wanted) added an ssd changed the hdd to a 1tb caviar blue just add in your MoBo 

3.5gb in 970 is not really an issue only a few games can reach 3.5gb in 4k there's a video about  it by tek syndicate

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.95 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $1148.53

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 02:59 EST-0500

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

@PANICPR0NE Modified it a bit changed the 960's to a 970 LE(the green you wanted) added an ssd changed the hdd to a 1tb caviar blue just add in your MoBo 

3.5gb in 970 is not really an issue only a few games can reach 3.5gb in 4k there's a video about  it by tek syndicate

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.95 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1148.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 02:59 EST-0500

Getting the black because I fried my blue right at the 2 year mark, rather have the 5 year warranty.

I do have an SSD which I am going to get cleaned up after I get my moms computer put together for my OS.

I am going to switch to the 970 though.

you can still get a less powerfull psu around 600w. Maxwell cards are very power efficient so if you wanted to buy another 970 later on. You could still do sli on a 600w power supply

you can still get a less powerfull psu around 600w. Maxwell cards are very power efficient so if you wanted to buy another 970 later on. You could still do sli on a 600w power supply

I like the corsair stuff way too much for own good, lol. The 650w was only $10 less so I figured why not just get the 750w.

debating if I wanna give my mom my old SSD and just get me a new one just for my OS or not...

I like the corsair stuff way too much for own good, lol. The 650w was only $10 less so I figured why not just get the 750w.

debating if I wanna give my mom my old SSD and just get me a new one just for my OS or not...

get a new one the old one has a higher chance of failing. Trust me when I tell you that Storage failures are the most frustrating thing.

get a new one the old one has a higher chance of failing. Trust me when I tell you that Storage failures are the most frustrating thing.I

I used the SSD for like a year maybe, should I be worried about putting her OS on it?

Also how can I get it wiped clean before I use it without a computer? Will it do it automatically when I install it in the new computer?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9CpNTW

Ok if I go with this for my build instead,

Any thoughts on anything better for my moms?

I need the HDD, Mobo, OS, and CPU for $300...

I need the board to have onboard usb 3.0 headers and I would like the thing to play Sims kinda ok so she can start playing that again.

She has a 720p monitor so lol

I used the SSD for like a year maybe, should I be worried about putting her OS on it?

Also how can I get it wiped clean before I use it without a computer? Will it do it automatically when I install it in the new computer?

No it won't, you have to format it manually. You can do that when you install the OS or in Disk management after you installed it.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Only getting the cards because they are limited edition and I really don't wanna pay for the 970 version althought it might be cheaper but I know all there is some stuff on the 970 cards having 3.5gb instead of 4gb.

This is why I hate people making jokes about it on the forum.

The 970 has 4GB of Ram.

This is why I hate people making jokes about it on the forum.

The 970 has 4GB of Ram.

I only heard of it because I've been binge watching youtube computer stuff(say it Jayztwocents, I think?)

So why I was a little skeptical on but if I get it, I can get a bigger rad so meh if it's 3.5gb

couldn't you look at something like an apu, if she doesn't play games she wouldn't need the descrete gpu, and that way it will use less power (and you can sell the gpu for some ssd cash :P

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I have the 7950, I'm using it.

No APUs.

I spent over a month getting the company to refurbish my 7950.

I'm getting her Sims 4 and Bully since she wants to play them so no APUs...

Also why do I need 3 SSDs???

I'm getting a corsair one and she's getting my Kingston.