I WANT TO SHARE MY PROJECT WITH YOU, Feedback Appreciated! ^_^

AudioJunki3

Hello lovely people of the interwebs!

My name is Jonny, I am a final year product design student from the UK, but foremost an audio enthusiast, just like the majority of you here.

I want to share my project with you, come see!!

For my final project I wanted to design and create a household speaker. The project was primarily a styling job, but I have done my research on speaker design, so I have some idea what I'm doing. I wanted to merge the Hi-Fi & Wireless technologies together in a beautiful elegant form which in turn would produce beautiful sound.

So far the project is going great, I am hoping to get making this prototype model sometime next week. But I wanted to get your opinions on the design, also if I have made some horrendous mistake that my untrained eyes have missed.

Features:

- Wireless DLNA connectivity for high quality streaming from mobiles, tablets and laptops.

- Wired input - For you lossless fanatics ( probably use Phono connection.

- Wireless charging

- Two 5.5" woofers 50-100W

- One 1" tweeter

- Home built two way crossover

- Ambient Lighting - For those chill times, parties.

- Built in Amp

I have taken extreme measures in the design to reduce resonance within the design.

- Minimal floor contact - Will probably be using spikes on the prototype.

- Three sections of solid void free bracing

- Double thickness walls, inner lined with Silicone.

- Heavily damped driver mounting, Rubber rings, well nuts etc.

- Solid construction using minimal components, so less joints in the enclosure.

I have included some of my sketch work and renderings. There are two versions below, tell me which one you prefer.

Please give me your feedback on this, it would mean the world to me, ( and it might make my tutor happy!)

Thanks

Jonny 

post-194846-0-64825100-1425604124_thumb.

post-194846-0-00594300-1425604143_thumb.

post-194846-0-88995700-1425604166_thumb.

shut_up_and_take_my_money_by_lolikips-d3

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

I honestly think the second design looks cleaner.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Looks really awesome, try a bit color matching like glossy red or blue in there..also like the first design ,

Details separate people.

I love it

pls take the money I don'T have

I preffer V1

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

youre gonna go far with your profession, ill tell ya that

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

That design, ahnn... If i had the money, i'd buy 2 of them, or even one (the second one looks better, but first one has a lot of potential :D :D) :D

Here, a like, but consider that as 10 likes from me :D :D

Looks like a portal turret, would buy.

*Snip*

Now this is how you will make money

Because he had a hard drive.

Second design is definitely the winner for me, you don't want to place something solid directly in front of the speaker unit. That being said have you considered wood instead of what I assume is white acrylic?

I would also be concerned about having anything occluding the speaker driver. The second design seems better in that regard but could still affect the radiation pattern of the drivers.

IT'S A TRAP

I guarantee it is a turret and will freak the f*ck out if you knock it over!

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Might have some real baffle step interference with both designs although the second *looks* like it would sound better.  Have you considered a generic prototype to test with?  Design wise I like them a lot.  The question is if you can get them to sound good with the given volume, etc.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

With a design(s) like that, I actually thought it maybe better if it's hanging from the ceiling. Not by ropes of course, as they will rotate by themselves, but by some kind of small steel rod. 

And if it's hanging, implement a downlight on the bottom, or even dim strip light as an accent, might be sweet. It got a styling function as well, isn't it?

I have a question with how's this speaker is supposed to be used. As a single speaker encompassing the whole room? or as a stereo pair.

I think as a stereo pair, the design is spot on pretty cool, it looks like something that would cost $5K at least.

As a single speaker however, I'd say it probably should have more drivers in multiple directions.

What drivers are you planning to use btw, car speakers :P ?

Looking back at the v1 render, why would you put something in front of the mid and low drivers, practically covering parts of them? It may be good in context of design, but detrimental on the resulting sound itself. 

Needs thicker legs imo. Maybe something inbetween a J and L with rubber on the bottom?

Another member on another forum gave me the idea of a cone that the speaker would sit into, thoughts? It would surely be more stable.

Looking back at the v1 render, why would you put something in front of the mid and low drivers, practically covering parts of them? It may be good in context of design, but detrimental on the resulting sound itself. 

So many people on this thread mentioning that issue. I was fully aware of it but that render was done to show my tutor the scale of my design. I should have probably mentioned it in the description.

The suppository speaker!

No, in all seriousness, it looks beautiful, very stylish, would be proud to showcase it in my living room.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I have a question with how's this speaker is supposed to be used. As a single speaker encompassing the whole room? or as a stereo pair.

I think as a stereo pair, the design is spot on pretty cool, it looks like something that would cost $5K at least.

As a single speaker however, I'd say it probably should have more drivers in multiple directions.

What drivers are you planning to use btw, car speakers :P ?

It is supposed to be a single unit, but I have allowed it to be hooked up to a separate amp if needed, although you'd need to buy two then $$$$

I am using Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, I personally think these drivers looks really nice and didn't want some paper cone crap.

The suppository speaker!

No, in all seriousness, it looks beautiful, very stylish, would be proud to showcase it in my living room.

Thank you! This is exactly the type of feedback I need :D